My husband and I will be visiting England in June 2017. We have one extra night in our itinerary and we'd like to stay the night in a castle hotel. We are trying to choose between Thornbury Castle and Augill Castle. We will have a rental car.
If we choose Thornburry, we'd be coming from Bath. Staying for 1 night at Thornbury Castle and then going on to Ludlow.
If we choose Augill Castle, we'd be coming from the Lake District. Staying for 1 night at Augill Castle and then going on to York.
Originally we wanted to stay at Swinton Park Castle but unfortunately the night we wanted to stay, the castle is already booked for an exclusive wedding.
We've read many reviews and looked at photos - both Thornbury and Augill seem very nice. Seems like Augill is more of a B&B style castle, while Thornbury is more luxory-style? Are there any other opinions or pieces of advice that you can offer to help us make this decision? Or any other castle hotels we might want to consider? (We were looking at Ruthin Castle as well...but narrowed it down to Thornburry and Augill).
Things that are important to us for an overnight castle stay: Overall look of the exterior castle and traditional castle-style bedroom - we really want to feel like we are staying in an old castle.
Thanks for any help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 2 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann 2017
- 3 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 4 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 5 Which Area in London?
- 6 Barcelona to Malaga
- 7 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 8 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 9 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 10 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 11 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 12 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 13 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 14 Copying a post on Swiss gondolas.
- 15 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 16 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 17 Paris November 2017
- 18 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 19 Ravenna and Mexico City...who knew?
- 20 Christmas day lunch in prague
- 21 Transportation in Brittany
- 22 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 23 Trains - website?
- 24 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 25 First time in Normandy & Brittany