Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help Choosing Castle Hotel in England (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-choosing-castle-hotel-in-england-1133046/)

rachill_az Sep 28th, 2016 11:30 AM

Help Choosing Castle Hotel in England

Hello,

My husband and I will be visiting England in June 2017. We have one extra night in our itinerary and we'd like to stay the night in a castle hotel. We are trying to choose between Thornbury Castle and Augill Castle. We will have a rental car.

If we choose Thornburry, we'd be coming from Bath. Staying for 1 night at Thornbury Castle and then going on to Ludlow.

If we choose Augill Castle, we'd be coming from the Lake District. Staying for 1 night at Augill Castle and then going on to York.

Originally we wanted to stay at Swinton Park Castle but unfortunately the night we wanted to stay, the castle is already booked for an exclusive wedding.

We've read many reviews and looked at photos - both Thornbury and Augill seem very nice. Seems like Augill is more of a B&B style castle, while Thornbury is more luxory-style? Are there any other opinions or pieces of advice that you can offer to help us make this decision? Or any other castle hotels we might want to consider? (We were looking at Ruthin Castle as well...but narrowed it down to Thornburry and Augill).

Things that are important to us for an overnight castle stay: Overall look of the exterior castle and traditional castle-style bedroom - we really want to feel like we are staying in an old castle.

Thanks for any help!!

flanneruk Sep 28th, 2016 11:48 AM

What on earth is a "traditional castle-style bedroom"?

A big collective room where everyone who wasn't the Lord of the castle slept?

A huge, unheated, rush-strewn, stone room where a minion came to pick up your defecation? Rushes that were alive with fleas?

What Disneyfied fantasy of castle life have you been gulled into believing people once survived in? Or are you one of those people who believe Downton Abbey was a documentary?

rachill_az Sep 28th, 2016 12:24 PM

Hi flanneruk, thanks for the comments :) Yup, pretty much looking for a fairytale castle night. btw, never seen Downton Abbey.

sofarsogood Sep 28th, 2016 12:25 PM

Check out Lumley Castle and Langley Castle

Chillingham Castle has a dungeon and torture chamber - if that floats your boat…

rachill_az Sep 28th, 2016 12:52 PM

sofarsogood, thankyou for the HELPFUL response. Both Lumley and Langley Castle look perfect! :D A little out of our way, but both seem like great options. Thanks!

BigRuss Sep 28th, 2016 01:31 PM

Balmoral or Windsor.

Darn, not available. ;-)

Brits seem to think all Anglophilic Americans watch Downton Abbey, I guess.

Your stated options indicate that you are flexible about where you're going to come from the day you arrive. What other areas, if any, are you traveling to where you might try to find noble accommodation?

rachill_az Sep 28th, 2016 01:50 PM

Hi BigRuss, thanks for the help!

We will be starting in London then taking the train to Bath. From Bath we will renting a car a driving to Ludlow/Shropshire - Manchester (visiting family) - Lake District - York. In York we will return the rental car and take the train to Edinburgh. I'd like to fit in our "castle day" when we have the rental car since I think it will make things easier. sofarsogood's castle recommendations (Langley and Lumley) looked great, but I think they are going to be a bit out of the way...maybe Langley will work.