Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Central Rome hotel under 110 euros in November

Jun 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Hello!

I could use some input. I am going to be in Rome for 5 nights in November. I would like a centrally located hotel or B & B where I can walk to the majority of sights, convenient area for going to eat, safe (solo female, late 20's) and clean, all for around 110 euros or less. It is off season, so I hope that is an okay budget. I don't need fancy, just a good location, safe area and clean.

I have come across the Hotel Golden and Hotel Julia in that budget and both have pretty good reviews for location and facilities. However, other options would be appreciated.

Also, apartments are fine too. I found an apartment on VRBO in my budget that looks centrally located that I like as well:

http://www.vrbo.com/202772

Thanks in advance.
Jun 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM

Navona Hotel. Not fancy, but the location ( a few steps from Piazza Navona) can't be beat. It's clean & comfortable. It may be a little more the 110€, but the prices are very, very reasonable. Area is very safe, walking distance to many of the sights of Rome. Many restaurants and cafes in the area.
Jun 14th, 2010, 07:11 PM

Would you consider staying in a convent? I stayed at Istituto Santa Giuliana in 2005. The location, very near Piazza Navona, was perfect as was the welcome we received there. Sister Kathryn, born in the US, is a total gem. You don't have to be Catholic to stay there. Couples are welcome. There may be a curfew, but since they've hired a man to sit at the desk at night, you may be able to stay out as late as you want.

The rooms are spartan, but clean. There is a sink and bidet in each room. The shower and toilet are in the hall, but there are several on each floor and there was never a problem with being able to use one whenever I wanted.

Here's the contact info:
Instituto Santa Giulianna Falconieri
Via Calasanzio, 1
00186 Roma, Italy
tel: 06/68803344
fax: 06/6871471
email: [email protected]

Type Istituto Santa Giuliana into the search box at the top of the page, and many relevant posts will appear from the archives about the facility.
Jun 14th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

I had not thought of staying at a convent, but I'm not opposed to it either. I've emailed to check on the rate, because it sounds like it is a good location, safe and clean- top of my list! I don't plan on being out super late anyway and my mom is a bit nervous about me traveling alone, so she might even like the idea quite a lot!!!

If anyone has other ideas or input, please let me know!
Jun 14th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Also, thanks for the Navona Hotel recommendation. I'm going to check that out.
Jun 14th, 2010, 08:57 PM

I think you should be able to find something for that rate at that time of year. Check out some ideas for Rome budget hotels here.... http://www.best-of-rome-italy.com/bu...otel-rome.html
Jun 15th, 2010, 03:21 AM

We stayed cheaply here this March :

http://www.hotelalius.com/

243 Via Nazionale
I wouldn't call it centrally located, but a short walk to the main tourist areas. It's pretty much termini prices, but a fair distance away from Termini.
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Glad the info about the convent was useful to you. If you book there, please let me know the current rate and if the delightful Sister Kathryn is still there. If they don't respond to your email within a couple of days send them another message. When I was there Sister Kathryn mentioned that their internet connection was clunky.
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:04 PM

We stayed at Hotel Parlemento for 105 euros per night in November '08. The location is great--walking distance to many sights--nice breakfast, secure, helpful staff, etc. We did stay for five nights so perhaps we got a good rate due to that. I think Hotel Navonna required some type of prepayment( not simply a CC #) when we looked at it. Would stay at HP again at the right price.
Jun 15th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help so far and ideas! I'm going through and checking them all out.

I have done a bit more research on bed and breakfasts and have a rate request in for Nicolas Inn- which seems to have wonderful reviews and Navona Garden Suites also has rooms in my budget, which has nice reviews too. Has anyone stayed at either?

Also, I had asked Sleep in Italy about apartments and they have this one for 90 euros a night and suggested it as something to fit my request for location, etc. Thoughts on the apartment?

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show-...id_appartam=45

I'll be in Paris before for 9 nights and am doing an apartment there, so maybe a B & B will be a nice change? Plus, the second leg of my trip is much shorter, so I doubt I'd eat in as much.
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:15 PM

elizabeth,

I stayed at Hotel Giardino Rome on XXIV di Maggio a few years ago. It's a **, great location and easy walking to everywhere except the Vatican. In Sept 2005, my single room was 95E/nt with a typical breakfast. Clean, cozy and the owner, Katy, and her staff are super friendly and helpful. They do respond quickly to e mails. Double paned windows keep out the street noise. It's located between Trajan's Market and the Quirinale (SP?).

They also had some great, local traditional Roman restaurant recommendations.

Check it out. Buon viaggio!
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to update the thread. I appreciate all the tips and help! I checked out all the recommendations and in the end, using Google maps to see walking distances, places to eat close by, etc., I went with the apartment for 100 euros per night. The comparison shopping was quite hard though- I feel like I looked at 60 plus hotel/b and b sites (I actually probably did)! I felt like booking a place for Paris was a lot easier!