HELP: Car Rental In Lisbon, Drop Off In Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help. My husband and I are leaving for Portugal/Spain in 10 days. We need to rent a car in Lisbon and drive to Seville, Spain.

We've contacted all major car rental (e.g., Hertz, Budget, Alamo, National, Avis and Advantage) none will allow a pick-up in Lisbon and a drop-off in Seville.

Has anyone ever rented a car to make this trip? If so, can you please post the name of the rental service.

Regards,
Melissa Perdue
Richmond, Virginia
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:23 PM
ira

Hi kitty,

Go to http://www.autoeurope.com/
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:24 PM
rex

It's something that has received recurring questions many times over here, and the answer is universally the same - - no luck finding a low-cost alternative to paying a monstrous-sized drop fee.

By sheer luck, I stumbled onto a Hertz counter (or was it Avis?) in Lisbon many years ago which happened to have a Spanish car (for which someone had paid the very high drop charge) - - and they were happy to let me return it to Spain with nop drop chazrge to me; it was fitting cosmic karma, I thought. since I was SUPPOSED to fly from LIS to SVQ, but the airline was in labor disputes for weeks (and for all I know, they never did return to flying!)

But I don't know how you can plan for a stroke of luck like that.

Sorry not to have a better answer for you.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

I spoke with AutoEurope this afternoon. They book all of their cars through Hertz, Avis, Budget, etc. Unfortunately, they said the same thing "no rentals," but recommended finding a "local" rental car provider in Lisbon.

I thought that someone on the list might have had a similar experience and could offer some advice.

Thanks for forwarding the autoeurope.com Web site.

All other suggestions would be welcome!

Melissa
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Hellokitty:
Take the bus to Badajoz (at the Spain/Portugal border) and arrange to pick up your rental car there. It's your best option without incurring the outrageous drop-off fee.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:38 PM

We've done it twice with Hertz - once Lisbon/ Madrid and the other Lisbon/Malaga. Both times we were told there would be a drop-off charge - but they were waived each time beause they gave us a Spanish car to return.

Might it have something to do with the class of car you are asking for? Sometime they'll let you do this for some classes but not others (we did mid-size cars with auto and AC).