Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help - Can't decide on Hotel in the 6th (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-cant-decide-on-hotel-in-the-6th-684964/)

Cpine1 Mar 4th, 2007 07:33 PM

Help - Can't decide on Hotel in the 6th

Hi all,

I know there are MANY threads on this and trust me I have been reading them for hours, but I still am uncertain. Thank you in advance for your help and patience! My husband and I ( young couple, no kids) are looking for a great hotel for a 5 night stay, preferably with a nice bar to end our days. want to be very central in the 6th & like the intimate feel of a smaller hotel ( people know our name)
we are Between the following hotels:

Le Madison
D'Aubusson
Espirt St,Germain
Relais Saint Germain

What do you think? oh, our budget is about 300 E and I know some of those are over that, but if they are worth it we may just got for it.

travelhorizons Mar 4th, 2007 08:00 PM

Of this list, D'Aubusson is the hotel that has been recommended by people I know who know Paris hotels.

Dukey Mar 5th, 2007 12:44 AM

I assume you have read the reviews on TripAdvisor for ALL of your choices.

The Esprit is probably more "upscale" but of all these I would probably go with D'Aubusson.

ira Mar 5th, 2007 07:11 AM

Hi C,

If you don't mind paying less, and could accept walking around the corner to a cafe for your nightcap,

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 124E dbl w/bkfst. It is located near 3 metro stops. Has AC and an elevator.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://tinyurl.com/ludgd

((I))

NeoPatrick Mar 5th, 2007 07:24 AM

I know all except "Espirt".

I'd definitely go with Relais St. Germain over the other two. The rooms are huge and beautifully decorated with antiques and many accessories. The rooms feel much more like a fine home than a hotel. Plus you'll be able to actually eat at Comptoir, nearly impossible if you're not a guest at Relais St. Germain.

Cpine1 Mar 5th, 2007 08:45 AM

Thank you. yes, I have read the all reviews Ad Nauseum. question with the D'aubusson is that I have been reading not to get the smallest room at the D'aubusson - do you agree? That is the one we can afford. The next step up is 350 e which i just dont want to spend. I am holding a classic room at Espirit for 310e a night and the room is 190 SQ feet, which sounds like a decent size.

Dukey Mar 5th, 2007 08:52 AM

I would go with what I could afford, especially if you are happy with the Esprit room.

The only rooms I've been in at D'Aubusson were the larger ones.

ira Mar 5th, 2007 08:58 AM

Hi C,

>I am holding a classic room at Espirit for 310e a night and the room is 190 SQ feet, which sounds like a decent size.<

That's a bit over 12'x15'. Have you paced it off? That's about 6 steps by 5 steps.

Is the bathroom included in that area?

((I))

Cpine1 Mar 5th, 2007 09:25 AM

Thanks Ira. That is small. I have decided to cancel our reservation there and I think go with either a Boulevard facing double at Madison or splurge for the superior at D'aubusson. This has been such a difficult decision! Would you call the madison rooms luxurious? The beds etc? That is important to us. I guess that is a concern.

Dukey Mar 5th, 2007 09:39 AM

There are several people here who have stayed in and enjoyed the Madison so topping this for you.

Cpine1 Mar 5th, 2007 10:00 AM

Thanks! Le madison just reached out to me... their Deluxe rooms are 350-370. D'aubusson is 350e for the superior. what would you do? Or I can take a twin bedded room at Relais St, Germain for 300. so confused!

ira Mar 5th, 2007 10:03 AM

Hi Cp,

>... so confused!<

I've told you what to do. You can get the best room at the Bonaparte for about 160E, but you insist on paying twice that amount. :)

((I))

Cpine1 Mar 5th, 2007 10:20 AM

Thank you Ira! haha. I don't insiste on paying more, but the 2 star makes me weary. My husband is particluar about his rooms and this is a special occasion.

Edye Mar 5th, 2007 12:25 PM

The Superior room at d'Aubusson should be lovely. Warning, do not accept a room on their 1st floor front corner (which is the 2nd floor of the hotel) because you will be on top of the piano bar, which you will hear in your room. That being said, our room was lovely. The hotel is in a great location. It is not small enough that they will know your name.

NeoPatrick Mar 5th, 2007 12:29 PM

ira, with all due respect there is NO comparison in decor and charm between the Bonaparte rooms and the rooms of the hotels in question. You may love it, and it may be a nice hotel, but it is clearly not the same type of hotel room that Cpine is looking for. And are you suggesting the rooms there are considerably larger than the 12 X 15 Cpine is concerned with? Plus at 65 rooms it's considerably larger than the small "intimate" place she's looking for.

Back to the Relais St. Germain. The rooms we've been in were approximately 12 or 13 feet by at least 20 feet. They were almost like a junior suite with a full living area (sofa or pair of nice chairs and ottoman, plus desk and other furniture as about half of the room.

I think D'Aubusson is a nice hotel, but I would not do the smaller room either, and frankly when we considered the deluxe room, we stayed at Le Regent and felt just as happy for a whole lot less. But Le Regent is not the same "class" hotel as you are talking about either, probably more comparable to the Bonaparte but with a little more "flair" in decor.

ira Mar 5th, 2007 01:08 PM

Hi NP,

I think that Cp recognized that I was joshing.

((I))

shannoniam Mar 5th, 2007 01:14 PM

Right on the edge of the 6th in the 7th is the best hotel I have stayed at in all of my European travels. It is Hotel Cayre in the 7th (http://www.kkhotels.com/index.asp?ID=757). Extremely comfortable hotel, walking distance to everything, phenomenal breakfast and evening bar. English spoken very well here and staff is not at all bothered! I love this hotel, have told all of my work colleagues to stay here and when I return to Paris, I will always stay here. A great deal and a fabulous hotel. Ask for a room with a window that looks out on to the Eiffel Tower and be dazzled every night. If you wind up getting tired of French food, try Auberge de Venise for great Italian and the BEST caprese salad I have ever had! Enjoy.

bardo1 Mar 5th, 2007 03:10 PM

I would look at the Hotel de Buci.

http://www.bucihotel.com/

You can get a superior double from between
215 and 320 Euro - depending on season. The hotel is comparable to your initial list - some would say the location is better.

jody Mar 5th, 2007 04:35 PM

Listen to NeoPatrick!

Cpine1 Mar 6th, 2007 08:40 AM

You all our wonderful! Thank you. Relais St. Germain reached out to me ans said they had a room with a lot of light and a terrace overlooking the roofs of Paris. That sounds nice. So I'm wavering again. This is my husbands first time to paris and I want everything to be perfect!