HELP!: Can't decide on Sorrento hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I know this type of msg has been discussed a lot. But this time it's a little diff. (I hope).

The issue is we are going to be Sorrento from 1/1-1/5 (08). So we want a hotel that: -has great views, with a balcony/terrace in our room, -close to the town center and not spend more than $350US per night. Basically something like a il Nido, but closer. What concerns me is that if the weather is not nice we'll still want to walk around town, but not hike 15-20 minutes to get to our hotel, and in case the weather is horrible we need a hotel w/some common areas (lobby, library, etc.) to hang around. SO I'm trying to cover all bases here given the time of year.

We've chosen Sorrento as a base because we want to go to Naples for 1 day, the coast another, and 1 day as optional, maybe some fantastic gardens somewhere ???

HELP!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 10:01 AM

In 2004 we stayed at the Imperial Hotel Tramontano. We had a nice room with a large terrace overlooking the Bay of Naples. It was right in town - maybe two minutes to the center of town. It should be in your price range - website is http://www.hoteltramontano.it/en_index.php I have also heard good things about the Bellevue Syrene which was just down the street from the Tramontano. I don't have their website address.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:52 AM

We also stayed at the Hotel Tramontano, and I would highly recommend it, but only in the sea view rooms.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 12:49 PM

I just checked the winter rates and a double room at the Tramontano with water view is 315 Euro. So a little more than your budget but not by much.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM

We loved the Antiche Mura. Not sure how crucial having a view is to you. The Antiche Mura is behind the main piazza, not on the water. But it's a fantastic hotel that was far nicer than most we stayed at in Italy for that price. It's about a block off the main piazza in the center of town. I recommend it to everyone.

hotelantichemura.com
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM

We are planning on being in Sorrento in late November of 2008, another time when the weather is very iffy. While we normally stay either up on Via Capo or over in Sorrento Sant'Agnello (Hotel Villa Garden is AMAZING), we are planning to stay at the above mentioned Hotel Antiche Mura for our autumn trip. The location is super close to the main square in town (Piazza Tasso), and also pretty close to the Circumvesuviana train station that takes you to Pompei, Herculaneum, Naples. There is no view, but it's supposed to be a lovely hotel with wonderful owners. With the weather probabilities not in our favor, we will be trading view for location.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

I've problaby gotten too detailed about this as I've been living on tripadvisor for the past 2 days. Anyways, we are splurging by staying at the Hotel Santa Maria in Rome( for the ambiance and I don't want to lose that feeling, so I'm getting pickier, esp. w/ the walking. So views are critical, as well as centrl location. Even though it will be Jan. since I'm a Landscape Arch., nice gardens are +.

I've also looked at Grand Hotel Ambasciatori ?? Comments on it ?

Diana
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 04:22 AM

We visited the grounds of all of the nicest hotels in Sorrento and agreed that the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori was our favorite and that we would stay there upon our return. The gardens are beautiful and very extensive, and we enjoyed sitting on a bench in the garden for awhile one afternoon just looking out to sea. The views are gorgeous. The Grand Hotel Royal (also a Manniello hotel) is just a block or so closer in and is also lovely. The Excelsior Vittoria has an extensive park, and the Bellevue Syrene has a lovely terrace area.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 03:52 PM

In the days of the lira, we spent 9 nights at the Hotel Grand Ambasciatori. We found it on their website and chose it because the price was better than the others mentioned. We loved it. It was October and although the pool water was freezing, I did manage to get in once or twice. There were many Brits and at 4pm they were all having tea by the pool. I joined in, feeling a little as though I were in England rather than in Italy.

We had a large room with 2 balconies, one overlooking the pool and the other overlooking the Mediterranean. We could see the tenders coming and going from the cruiseships. (I think we were watching them and they were watching us!!!).

The staff was very helpful and I fully recommend this hotel.

It is a bit of a walk from the centre of town. The Excelsior is in the centre.

Enjoy Sorrento!
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

As it seems that the on-line agencies don;t have that good of rates this far out, and there's no way to do spec. req. on the room (view wise), I've sent requests (direct) to a coyuple fo these hotels. We'll see.

BTW, on trip advisor on recent guest has put up layouts of all the floors for the Ambasciatori!

I would think that late Dec./early Jan (non-holiday rates_ would be advertised by now ???

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM

Diana, we e-mailed the hotel directly and the reservations people were very helpful.