Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help buying train ticket in Sicily (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-buying-train-ticket-in-sicily-851856/)

vapaula Jul 27th, 2010 07:14 PM

Help buying train ticket in Sicily

I was checking schedules for trains in Sicily on trenitalia's website. Does anyone know what the "ND" means under 1st classe/2nd classe? Does it possibly mean no departure for that particular train? Also, ticketing options are "base", "flexible", "meno 15" and "meno 30" - which ticket option do most traveler's buy? Thanks.

PalenQ Jul 27th, 2010 07:19 PM

most travelers just buy a full fare ticket because many of the other fares require some kind of card to be bought at a certain price - good for frequent travelers - but in Sicily most trains seem to be regional trains, which Trenitalia offers for dirt-cheap fares - i would not sweat anything but just buy as you go along - fares are so so cheap. And there is or at least was a few years back when i took trains around Sicily some kind of Sicily Pass that you could also buy locally - so ask about that.

kybourbon Jul 27th, 2010 08:18 PM

You need to tell us what you are searching(cities/dates).

vapaula Jul 28th, 2010 02:44 AM

Thanks PalenQ. I was looking at trains from Palermo to Milazzo on Sep 13 in the morning. The only trains that it appears I can purchase are the IC trains. The other trains showing have a NA (I thought it was a ND) under 1st classe and 2nd classe. When I select one of these trains, a window shows up saying "we're sorry. The chosen selection is not purchasable). I wasn't going to purchase the tickets until we're in Palermo, but wanted to check the times of the trains so we could coordinate a hydrofoil to Lipari. Thanks.

kybourbon Jul 28th, 2010 03:02 AM

You need to enter a date within the next 7 days for the other trains to show.

valtor Jul 28th, 2010 03:23 AM

I don't know if buses are available for your specific destination, but the general opinion about transport in Sicily is that it is easier to use buses. We spent 3 weeks in Sicily in 2009 and took the train only once, from Palermo to Cefalu.
The buses are clean, comfortable, you have place for luggages.

PalenQ Jul 28th, 2010 07:15 AM

I wasn't going to purchase the tickets until we're in Palermo, but wanted to check the times of the trains so we could coordinate a hydrofoil to Lipari. Thanks.>

one reason i always use the Wunderbar German Railway web site -www.bahn.de for schedules all over Europe, including Italy- lots easier to use for schedules but don't give fares.

it seems that the NA means a region train that cannot be booked online - with a regional train ticket you can i think board any regional train within the time period validity of the ticket

kybourbon Jul 28th, 2010 08:10 AM

The NA is only because they are trying to look at trains past 7 days.

vapaula Jul 29th, 2010 02:31 AM

Thanks everyone!