Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help booking balance of my trip, Colmar south to Annecy area

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the opportunity to head back to France for 3 weeks starting May 22nd and apart from the obligatory stay in Paris, will be in Colmar/Strasbourg for 4 nights. The Annecy area looks quite beautiful, however, I'm having difficulty finding a 3-4* hotel to book.

Thus far, my trip looks like this: 6 nights in Paris, TGV to Strasbourg, drive to Colmar for 4 nights with side trips to the surrounding towns. Then, it opens up: since we prefer to drive/train rather than fly regionally, and since the weather may be cool/foggy in Lucerne, is Lake Como within a reasonable reach or should I continue on down to Annecy and maybe over to Dijon, returning to Paris for the flight home? On Google Earth, the Dijon area looks to be pretty but mostly vineyards. I have thoroughly seen Provence and Dordogne.

Any assistance will be appreciated. P.S. We're *older* folks.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Rather than going all the way to Lake Como, I would suggest exploring the Jura area. Click on my name and you will find a trip report that starts in Basel and covers briefly the Jura area.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Michael. I'm on it.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 08:49 AM

In Annecy, I recommend the Palais de l'Ile; it's in the old town right along the canal-can't beat the location, and it's a 3 star. Annecy is beautiful.

http://www.palaisannecy.com/
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 09:35 AM

We usually stay at the Splendid Hotel, right on Quai Eustache. Back rooms have view of the old town, front (street-side) rooms have the lake view. Reception area when you first come inside doesn't look like much, but that is because the second floor is devoted to bar/lounge/breakfast room/geranium covered balcony overlooking the lake. Service is primo!

Two minutes away from the pedestrian zone. Very easy to locate by car with its own loading/unloading zone on the busy Quai Eustache. Public parking garage just down the street at Hotel de Ville.

http://hotel-annecy-lac.fr/

We LOVE Annecy! One of these days I'd like to be there for their Carnival.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 09:36 AM

oops...that probably should have had a www.

http://www.hotel-annecy-lac.fr/
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

I checked out the Splendid and missed booking that last room by 5 hours! How about Hotel le Pre Carre, which is not in Annecy proper?

The Palais gets some really nasty reviews nd some good ones.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 12:52 PM

I didn't read the Palais reviews, but I will say it was a quirky little place; best thing was the location.

That's too bad about the Splendid; we walked by it, and it looked very nice. Not in the old town but right next to it.

I don't think I would want to stay outside of Annecy proper; traffic and parking could be a bit of a problem, IMO.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM

I just looked on TA to read the reviews, and I thought they were pretty good except for a couple which panned it. Almost any hotel has its detractors.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 03:59 AM

Re: Palais de l'Isle -- we looked it as we passed by. It looked very nice; typical for historic buildings=nice reception area, rooms of varying sizes/views, small elevator. Also, because it is smack dab in the middle of the pedestrian zone it is easiest to park your car at the Hotel de Ville public parking and "roll" with your luggage along the canal to check in rather than trying to drive right to the hotel entrance (that's how we ended up at the Splendid w/o reservations...we failed to get to the Palais multiple times with the car so stopped in at the Splendid)

Here is a review for the Palais from google that seems pretty balancedositive: "Wonderful location in the old town and close to the lake, overlooking the canal. We stayed in one of the larger rooms, unfortunately it ovelooked the street and the windows were too high to see anything. Negative: This is the only hotel we stayed in where the internet was not for free (8 euros/hour). The lift was too small and you have to carry your own luggage. Be aware that the hotel is in the pedestrian area. The mattress was too hard and the price was too expensive for a room without a view."

I you look at what the person is unhappy about especially small elevator/carrying own lugga‎ge, then probably 95% of Annecy's hotels are not for you.

The Ibis Centre might be an option for you. It has parking, is right on the edge of the old town (in the opposite direction of the Palais). Rooms are large, clean, can plug in your laptop in your room but nothing fancy/charming...more modern/functional. Definitely not a 4-star though!

Other option: Auberge du Lyonnais. It is a two-fork Michelin restaurant that has rooms. We loved eating here and would go back in a heartbeat. Great location on the canal but at an intersection with a main street that crosses the canal so reachable by car. I get the impression the rooms are very much like those at the Palais...quirky old-time charm without a lot of frills, furniture simple and somewhat dated. You can check them out on the web. It has personality, though.

http://www.auberge-du-lyonnais.com
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

I will revisit the "Palais", check out the "Ibis" and the "Auberge." Having another set of eyes (yours) on these aspects is, of course, invaluable.