Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Arriving in Venice without hotel reservations!

Jun 14th, 2001, 09:37 PM
Lainie

I have been unable to reserve a room in Venice and will be arriving on June 21st.
Any suggestions? Is it possible to find a decent, affordable room at the last minute? I'm not too picky but was trying to avoid the hostels.

Jun 14th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Leslie

Try Hotel Gallini (near the Opera House). Good location & reasonable prices. I believe they are on www.venere.it. Good luck!

Jun 15th, 2001, 03:29 AM
Beth Anderson

try albergo corona, in rick steves 1999 Italy book. cheap, and not well known. also very clean and well located. very basic though. it was 75K lire for a single per night.

I don't have the number on me right now. if you cannot find the book, email me...

Jun 15th, 2001, 04:22 AM
elaine

Have you tried
www.venere.it?
It's a great booking service.

If you still have no luck, then I think you are brave. The Tourist office
in Venice will be able to help you, but
if there are any choices, locate them on the map before you decide. "Decent and affordable" are pretty subjective, but in high season you'll be getting pot luck, which may work out just fine.

Jun 15th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Tami

We were in Venice two weeks ago and arrived in the afternoon with no reservations. I had the phone numbers for 8 hotels - called them all with no luck. We ended up visiting for the day and left late that nite. However, a few days later in Florence we had the same problem. However, we had picked up an Italy Best Western hotel directory earlier in our trip. They have one number you call for all of their hotels in Italy. They were able to get us a room at a very nice Best Western in Florence for the next night, at a reasonable price. This was after the IT (tourist info desk) at the train station told us all the hotels were full. We did the same thing a week later when we arrived in Rome a day earlier than planned.

You might try getting one of those directories or one for the Holiday Inn. I was reluctant to use that type of hotel chain but both hotels were very, very nice.

Just a suggestion....

Jun 15th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Angela

Yes, try Best Western. It is not inside Venice, but a train station away (about 10 minutes train ride). We stayed there for a few nites a couple year ago. It was safe and much cheaper than the hotels inside Venice charge. Good Luck.

Jun 15th, 2001, 10:41 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Lainie Can only suggest you stay in Venice, there is
what you have come all the way to see.
experience day and also at nite...
About two blocks southof the Venice SL
Railway station is the Hotel /Al Sole Palace, which is a three star with 100
rooms all with a/c/...
Just two blocks west of the Pza. S.
Marco is the Hotel Do Pozzi, San Marco 2373, it is a three star hotel with 29 rooms, has used this a number of times
in the past twenty years. does have a/c.
Across the Grand Canal and about one
block south is the Hotel Canal & Walter,
S. Croce 553-240 which is a three star hotel with 47 rooms between them with
a/c/.
Lastly in the main entrance hall of the
Venice Santa Lucia Train station is a
hotel desk, that you could surely make
use of upon your arriven in Venice.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Jun 15th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Dawn

See what you can find on the Lido, or Mestre, which is a 5-minute away town on the direct train line into Venice. Not pretty, but a place to lay your head.

Jun 18th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Maurice

We stayed at the Hotel Riva near Ponte D'Anzolo (Angelo). If there's a reason why you couldn't get a reservation, this place too may be full. But, because it doesn't take credit cards, it may be one of the last ones filled. The trick is to MAKE a confirmed reservation without a credit card. We FED-EXed the (signed) travellers cheques.
Check this forum for HOTEL RIVA for more details. Fantastic place, very inexpensive, 3 blocks(?) from St. Mark's.

Jun 18th, 2001, 03:25 PM
wes fowler

Lainie,
Your problems in finding accommodations is probably due to the Venice Bienniale,a major arts festival that occurs every two years in Venice; this is the year. It attracts art and music lovers from all over the world due to its fame. You may do better in Mestre or Lido.