HELP!!!! anyone with a fodors italy 99!

Jul 10th, 2000, 09:57 AM
jessica

HELP!!!! anyone with a fodors italy 99!

if anyone has a fodors italy 1999 guide, i desperately need your help!!
i would like to know if there is a tour mentioned regarding a walking/gondola ride tour sponsored by american express?
if anyone is able to help me out in this, i thank you in advance!!!!

Jul 10th, 2000, 10:23 AM
Walter

Jessica: I saved this from a post on rec.travel.europe from Mar99. HTH Regards, Walter >>>American Express has a tour every afternoon about 4 PM that
includes a tour of the wonderful Chiesa dei Frari, followed by a group gondola ride complete with a guide and singers. Our grown children and teenage granddaughter took it last year and loved it. Cost is about 40,000 lire, which is cheaper than just renting a gondola. Enjoy!<<<

Jul 10th, 2000, 12:56 PM
howard

The only Amex tours involving gondolas in Fodor's Italy 1999 is one that sounds like what the above poster wrote. The guide reads, "American Express...offers group gondola rides with serenades, from May through October nightl (40,000 lire), and other tours that include dinner," etc.
That's it.

Jul 12th, 2000, 03:43 AM
Mary

Hi Jessica--we took this tour a couple of years ago and it was terrific. I was afraid it was going to be very touristy but our tour guide was Venetian and was full of wonderful insights on what it is like to live there. We bought the tickets in the morning at the American Express office (it is just off San Marco, you can't miss it) and took the tour in the afternoon. The gondola ride at the end was great and the tour itself was very affordable.

We were in Venice earlier this year and I saw our tour guide in the afternoon heading towards the Frari so I assume they still offer it.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Jul 12th, 2000, 08:54 AM
Jamie

Jessica, we took the Gondola Serenade last month.
It costs 50,000L per person and we purchased our tickets
at the American Express office (off via Moises, behind Piazza San Marco) that morning.
We had a great time.