Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Another paris hotel question! I've read tons but gotta ask..! Danube, Le Regent or St. Paul in 6th ?

Help! Another paris hotel question! I've read tons but gotta ask..! Danube, Le Regent or St. Paul in 6th ?

Oct 27th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Lisa

Hello!! I have been reading tons but still for all you helpful people out there! Thanks for any input, Lisa

Oct 27th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Fred

It's really a tossup. They all have their fans and non-fans. Flip a coin, throw a dart....or go by instinct. For more Paris hotel information, and more, go to www.anamericaninparis.com

Oct 27th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Patrick

One of the reasons I'm a big fan of Le Regent is I know what I'm going to get. If I get a superior room (and I highly suggest it if you stay there) I know it will be on the front of the building, bright and light with two big windows. I know it will be a substantially large room and an excellent bath, all well decorated. All their superior rooms, although individually decorated, are virtually the same in every other way. I looked at the Danube, but had the impression that you never know what kind of room you will get, as they seem to vary greatly. What kind of room you get will depend upon your luck upon checking in and what's available. Sorry, not familiar with St. Paul.

Oct 27th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Mari

We stayed in the Le Regent in July for a long weekend. We had two deluxe/superior rooms which were just acceptable as far as size is concerned - definitely not spacious though. The bathroom was very nice, but not as spectacular as the descriptions given both here and on the Le Regent site. Our room needed a general good cleaning - a vacuuming, airing out, dusting and laundering of the bedspread would have made quite an improvement. The rooms did have two large windows which let in plenty of late in the day sunshine and provided a pleasant breeze since we didn't need the AC for most of the time we were there.

Other than being in need of a little cleaning, we didn't have a problem with our room, but my sister had a big leak in the bathroom ceiling of her room. It took a few calls to get the front desk to respond and then it took most of the afternoon and evening to get it repaired.

As for the location - it is easy to walk to many of the sights and public transportation is nearby as are many restaurants and cafes. However, be aware that the Le Regent hotel, in my opinion, is not in a very attractive part of Paris - interesting, yes, but pretty, no. Don't get me wrong, we had a wonderful Bastille celebration weekend in there, but I don't think I would stay at the Le Regent again.

We did see several other hotels in the nearby area which seemed very nice. The Relais Christine was lovely - set on a small side street off Rue Dauphine. It has a splendid entry courtyard and reception area. I'm a lobby person - I really enjoy staying in a hotel with an elegant lobby and the Relais Christine had a lovely lobby area. It is expensive, but probably worth it. The Hotel Madison (includes breakfast buffet in room rate) which makes it almost in the same price range as the Le Regent (does not include breakfast) seemed very nice also. I'm judging from the location and outside as we did not go into the Madison.

Hope you find a hotel which matches your needs. Enjoy your trip.

Oct 27th, 2002, 04:07 PM
xxx

Before booking a $400+ room at the Relais Christine better research what you're getting. I recall some unhappy comments here.

Oct 27th, 2002, 06:08 PM
sandra

big fan of the Danube, as long as it's not in hot weather. Great value, nice staff and superior service. short walk to the rue buci and blvd st germain. also much less money the regent

Oct 28th, 2002, 08:12 AM
carol

The Le Regent and the Danube are both a lot more conveniently located (in the heart of St. Germain and close to the Seine and the Right Bank)than the St. Paul. The Le Regent is closer to the Rue de Buci market street; the Danube is in the heart of the left-bank high-end antiques district.

Oct 28th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Dave

I too am a big fan of Le Regent,,,,having stayed there many times over the past 20 years or so...I also tend to agree with Patrick regarding "consistency" in the room choice.
I find the location of Le Regent to be much more appealing (for my interests) than others here have indicated....It is very near St Germain, the street markets are close, the antique stores in Rue Jacob are right around the corner, and you're not very far from Notre Dame at all.

OTOH, anyplace in the 6th that's clean, relatively inexpensive, and comfortable should do just fine! Perhaps the idea of flipping a coin is not a bad one at all!!
I would recommend that you CAREFULLY evaluate the Relais Christine before booking there however, its quite expensive relative to Le Regent.
Best wishes for a great trip!

Oct 28th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Christina

I have no personal experience myself, but agree that I have read some negative comments on the Christine (not even sure where, on here or another board) so am not sure I would pay that. Well, I know I wouldn't pay that price for a hotel room.

However, as for the location, I prefer the St Paul over the Danube myself, so that's another opinion -- I think it is more central and conveniently located (although I have zero interest in expensive antique stores, I will admit, so that might affect choice). I like being near Luxembourg Gardens, it's closer to a metro stop, and near the RER, also and many reasonable cafes and restaurants. I stayed in a hotel not far from the Danube, and didn't think that area was that convenient or appealing at all. Of course it's not that far from a metro, but I would have preferred being closer.

Oct 28th, 2002, 10:32 AM
pj

You can't beat Danube for location, service and ambience IMO.

We stayed in the apartment in the past. This year the superior twin room.

The hotel is charming and Severin and Francois are the deciding factor to go back.

PJ

Oct 28th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Lisa

Thanks everyone for your replys!! Very helpful indeed. I should have noted that the difference in price from the Danube and Le Regent is only $20 more a night (for the Regent) which was very surprising to me. Still not sure which one we will be booking but have all week to decide! any other input is much appreciated, Thanks!

Oct 28th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Christine

Right around the corner from Relais Christine is Hotel D'Aubusson. I stayed there almost two months. It's fantastic. Everything a traveling American is used to. Check it out: www.hoteldaubusson.com It's on rue Dauphin just a couple blocks from Pont Neuf/the Seine.

In this neighborhood, check out these restaurants (ask the concierge for directions):

Les Etoiles
13 rue Princesse, tel 01 43 25 78 51
This place has great crepes – both dinner and dessert crepes. Even if you are full, force down a dessert crepe.

Pizza Positano
I don’t have any info on this but I’m pretty sure it’s a block over from Les Etoiles on Rue des Cannettas. Great Italian food. Small and can be smokey (they all are). If you go here you may want to ask your concierge to call and see if they take reservations. My favorite gnocci in the world.

Rotisserie D’En (01.42.27.19.20) – Rue Christine. Rue Christine is a small, alley-like street just a block long. It’s around the corner from Hotel D’Aubusson. This French restaurant has decent prices by Paris standards.

Have fun!!

Oct 28th, 2002, 12:26 PM
elaine

Hi Lisa
You picked hotels that have been much commented on here, and almost always praised. There is more than one great hotel in Paris in that range; in fact there are more than 10 or 20.
The odds are with you for any of them.
If you find that you have a problem when you get to your hotel, ask the management to fix it. If you have an overall bad experience, please report back.

Oct 28th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Patrick

If the difference is price is that little, then I assume you are looking at a standard, not a superior at LeRegent. That may be fine, but do realize that the room will be tiny if that is the case. One of the main complaints here about LeRegent has usually been that the rooms were so tiny -- and pretty much in every case because they were standard, not superior rooms. The above comments about the size of even the superior rooms is accurate -- no they are not super spacious. But as Paris hotel rooms go, the superior ones at LeRegent are pretty decent sized, not true of the standard ones.

Oct 28th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Lisa

Again mayn thanks! I am so curious now as to the actually distance between these places? I am assuming it could only be maybe 8-10 'blocks'? Esp. Regent or Danube? I am trying to picture the distance!! I mean I love checking out high end antique places where the Danube is located but that doesn't mean I will be 2 miles from The Regent right? Anybody?! Also I love to walk and have tons of energy so thats not of issue. Although all the food and wine I plan to be consumming may slow me down just a bit. look forward to hearing more! Lisa

Oct 28th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Susan

Just to throw another wrinkle into your deliberations-- when I was trying to reach the same decision re hotels I found that most of the favorable comments about Le Regent related to superior rooms, for the same price or a few dollars more I found I could stay in a superior room in the Hotel Millesime on Rue Jacob. I found it to be a better location--just a block from busy parts of San Germaine, but on a quiet street, with less traffic, signage and more charming than Rue Dauphine.

Oct 28th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Rebecca

Hotel de l'Odeon in the 6th. VERY inexpensive, clean, great staff and great location. block and half from the Metro - HIGHLY recommended!

Oct 29th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Don

Not sure what is considered inexpensive, but the Hotel de l'Odeon quoted me approx. 200 and 200+ euro for their rooms.

Nov 9th, 2002, 12:21 PM
diane

Hi, has anyone had any problems with Le Regent as Mari had?

I saw the rooms and they look pretty nice; I know they are only pictures but it's gotten many good reviews. I'm really thinking of staying here if I can.

Nov 9th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Patrick

What problems? You mean the fact that they had a leak in the ceiling one day and it took until that evening to fix it??? Wish I could get a leak in my roof at home fixed in one day.
Hey, it's unfortunate that they had a leak, but these things can happen and how many minutes did she expect them to take to get it fixed. She said it took several calls. It is doubtful that the girl at the desk could do it, so getting it done in one day seems pretty remarkable to me.

I know that our rooms there have always been spotless, and in fact, the maid usually opened up the windows and aired them out while she was cleaning, so no I didn't have those problems either.

Size of rooms is a relative comparison. All I know is that I felt the superior room at Le Regent was confortable in size, something I have not been able to say about most of the rooms I've had in Paris without spending a whole lot more. No it is not huge or overly spacious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO