Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   HELP: Amsterdam and Prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-amsterdam-and-prague-530982/)

rwells30 May 22nd, 2005 04:42 PM

HELP: Amsterdam and Prague

I'm starting to plan a 10 day trip to Amsterdam and Prague for 5 women (early 30's) - September/October. I'd like to keep the price of accomodations down, but want to stay in interesting locations (b&b's, apartments, etc.). We will be in Amsterdam for 3 or 4 days and then train to Prague (is this possible?). Any suggestions would be great! I received wonderful help from my "Fodor's friends" on our last trip to Italy!! :-)

nytraveler May 22nd, 2005 05:14 PM

It's certaily possible to train from Amsterdam to Prague - but could be a very long trip. We did it from Frankfurt several years ago and it took forever. With such a short trip I would look into cheap flights instead.

isabel May 22nd, 2005 05:24 PM

I agree with NY about the flights. Try www.whichbudget.com to see who flies from Amsterdam, I think quite a few do as it is a hub of sorts.

I can recommend the hotel I stayed at in Amsterdam, Hotel Brouwer (www.hotelbrouwer.nl). Quaint, inexpensive, on a canal, centrally located.

The place I stayed in Prague was cheap, too cheap actually so I won't recommend it. But Prague is wonderful (so is Amsterdam). Have a great trip.

Travelnut May 22nd, 2005 05:27 PM

Two good websites, at least for seeing hotels/photos, etc..

www.amsterdamby.com

www.bookings.nl

amp322 May 22nd, 2005 05:35 PM

It's a funny coincidence, but I have spent the last 5 summers in Prague & Amsterdam! I travel between the two cities all the time, but have never taken a train. Seems FAR too far! Smartwings, the low cost carrier, has had me as a passenger several times, as well as Czech Air. Smartwings may be in or near bankruptcy, though, according to some other Fodorites..

As far as accomodations, I can't help you with Amsterdam, since I stay with friends, but Prague has many options.
Some websites: www.travel.cz www.athos.cz www.marys.cz www.pragueaccommodations.com www.hotelsprague.cz etc, etc

Some sites have 3 bedroom apartments, so you could really save $, if you want to all stay in the same place.

rwells30 May 22nd, 2005 07:08 PM

Is there a city inbetween Amsterdam and Prague that would make it workable to train?

JudyC May 22nd, 2005 07:48 PM

If you would like to travel by train, Berlin is in the middle of the route, around 5 hours direct train each way; or perhaps you could try night train.

But Berlin is one of the most vibrant, happening cities in Europe, takes more than few days to explore.

Intrepid1 May 23rd, 2005 12:59 AM

I would agree with Berlin as an "intermediate point" especially if you are traveling by train during the day.

elaine May 23rd, 2005 07:42 AM

Hi
I have a long file on Prague; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]

Love Prague!

rwells30 Jun 4th, 2005 08:56 AM

I need suggestions of places to stay in Amsterdam, Berlin and Prague! I have no time to research this. Please Help!
Thanks.