Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

help! amserdam hotels in 2 wks all sold out!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a last minute trip to Amsterdam that surfaced only 2 days ago. Since then, I've been scouring hotel sites, sending reservation emails etc. It seems that all the hotels that I am trying to reserve are sold out. I would love to find something near Dam Square or in the Jordaan but at this point, I'll just settle for a decent place that isn't a fortune, perferable less than $170 a night.
Is there any way to find an economy hotel for a 5 day stay in 2 weeks(Apr 1-6)? Where should I look? Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:25 AM
viennese

Hallo,
try www.hrs.de and you will find about 50 hotels for the time indicated, beginning at € 70 per room.

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Amsterdam does indeed seem to get booked up! I've had very good luck with www.hotel-booker.com. I've also gotten some excellent rates on some very nice hotels.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:58 AM

Hi - try

http://www.bookings.nl/city/nl/amsterdam.html

I've just returned from AMS - cold and clear, the spring flowers will still be out . . .
Enjoy!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Chatters

The hotel Tulip Inn Amsterdam City West is a great lodging alternative in Amsterdam. Great value, we paid about $75/double back in November and the rooms were very nice, comfortable, large, clean, hotel staff was very helpful and courteous. Most of its clientele seems to be business class. Very quiet, the hotel is about 3 km from downtown, we took a taxi in/out, no hassle whatsoever with parking, etc. After a day of sightseeing in Amsterdam it was nice to come to a quiet, comfortable hotel room. Highly recommend it. We booked thru hotel-booking.nl. No complaints.

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

These are great! I will try these websites and recommedations right away! Thank you so much! Please keep them coming just in case none of these works out.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 08:21 AM

Have you checked out http://www.hotels.nl/amsterdam/
340 Amsterdam hotels are listed.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.amsterdamhotspots.nl

as another helpful site.

Personally I liked the Leidseplein and Vondelpark neighborhoods WAY better than Central and around the Dam. The city's not that huge and it's easy to get around.

I paid 57Euro for a single with shared bath at Hotel Kap near the Heineken Brewery. It was decent. Not particularly sending you there, just as a point of comparison, seems like $170 should easily get you something, somewhere! Good luck.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Try the Toro Hotel, located in a quiet area. Ask for a room that overlooks the Vondelpark, which is directly behind the pleasant canalside garden.

I stayed in room 18: large room with table and chairs, floor to ceiling french windows, a chandelier over the bed, and a big bathroom.

Breakfast is served in a paneled room. Elevator available, but also a staircase adorned with lovely stained glass windows. Comfortable downstairs parlor with newspapers & magazines you can take up to your room.

The tram stop is just a couple of blocks away at an intersection with various shops, including a bakery.

www.amsterdam.the-hotels.com/ams-toro-hotel.htm. Price is about 109 euro per night.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 11:04 AM

We're going in a few days to the Ramada Beethoven for $99/night- it took some hunting but there are deals to be had- a friend got the Renesiance Hotel located across the street from the Opera for $99/night through priceline.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 05:42 AM

Gee, what a terrible dilemma I used channels.nl which will allow you to type in the dates then give you availability ranging from one to five star hotels. You are cutting close. I would gladly change places with you, though. Enjoy your trip. PS you may want to consider a house boat or an apartment rental, if you need to.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 05:45 AM

Amsterdam can be a tough place to find a bed during peak periods. I missed a connection at Schiphol once and had to overnight, and ended up staying in a slightly scary shared-bathroom hotel (using the term "hotel" loosely).
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. After many regret emails, I finally found a twin room at the Canal House Hotel for 140E. We're waitlisted for the double but the twin will work just fine. I'm quite happy with this selection (will let you know how it goes after we return, of course). Couldn't have found it without your site suggestions though! Thanks again!