Igls (outside Innsbruck)

Search

Igls (outside Innsbruck)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Igls (outside Innsbruck)

Is anyone familiar with the village of Igls? I'm thinking of staying there instead of Innsbruck city when I visit in November/December
Is there frequent and convenient bus or train (tram?) into Innsbruck?
I would be staying for several days and taking day trips...perhaps as far as Salzburg and across the Italian border. I am specifically thinking of the Sporthotel in Igls, which has been very gracious and helpful in responding to my emails.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Igls is a nice village perched on a terrace overlooking the Inn river valley and the city Innsbruck. Usually a good choice to stay instead of directly in the city. Definitely more charming and the Sporthotel is really a good hotel.

But ... although there are a tram and buses to the city it is not really convenient for day trips - especially such long ones as Salzburg. Imagine you come back late in the evening from Salzburg. I am almost sure there is no bus late in the evening from Innsbruck up to Igls. You might want to ask the hotel, however, if they provide a shuttle service to Innsbruck railway station.

I.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Ingo:
Sounds like you are familiar with the area. Does Igls have a shop or two, and maybe a bakery or cafe?
Someplace to stroll to...
Perhaps for Salzburg I would pack an overnight bag and stay one night, then return to Igls/Innsbruck. I know most Fodorites strongly prefer Salzburg to Innsbruck, but I just think Salzburg might be too touristy and crowded for my tastes. Also very expensive as a "home base" for a week.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Barbara - yes, I am familiar with the area. And, but please don't tell anybody, I was not so thrilled with Salzburg. Been there in March. Click on my name and the trip report will show up.

Igls is not as small as you might expect. It has a decent size for a village. Quite a few shops, bakery, restaurants. And it has the Patscherkofel cable car, good for an excursion to a mountain with good view! Miles of groomed hiking paths, horse-drawn carriage rides, ice-rinks etc ...

I.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:09 AM

I suggest you look at staying in Hall in Tirol a couple of miles east of Innsbruck. There is a train station there and I understand there is also bus service into Innsbruck.

The "old town" of Hall is larger than that of Innsbruck. Hall was a former salt mining town so there were many wealthy people there which is reflected in the old town. Many lovely old churches and a nice shopping area.

We stayed at the Gasthof Badl just across the Inn River a few minutes walk from the old town.

http://www.badl.at/

http://www.hall-in-tirol.at/110.html
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Barbara5353,
I was going to write my suggestions, but bettyk posted exactly what I planned on writing! We stayed at the Gasthof Badl 3 times in the last 7 years. Very easy walk from the train station to the Badl and from the Badl to the charming old town of Hall in Tirol. Trains and busses take you from Hall in Tirol to Innsbruck (which is about 6 miles away) and beyond.
As for a day trip, Mittenwald, Germany is about an hour away and is the "quintessential" Bavarian village.

Paul
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Paul, you know what they say about great minds and all that!
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

During the past couple weeks I was able to watch reruns of both Samantha Brown and Rick Steves in Austria. Rick's video shows the delightful Frau Steiner and Gasthof Badl. I am under the impression, though, that it might be a bit too far out of the center for me to walk back and forth constantly.
Can someone describe "short distance"? I have slight mobility problems and was focusing on the Sporthotel in Ingls because it is across the street from bus stop into Innsbruck (...or so they told me!). Although both Samantha and Rick seemed enchanted with Salzburg, I think a day trip will be enough for me. I'm not really into Mozart or lots of shopping. Some of the small museums in Innsbruck sound more appealing to me. I'm interested in the scenery and history of the area.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:17 AM

Barbara, from the Gasthof Badl I believe it was a leisurely stroll of about 10 minutes across the Inn River footbridge, past the Stadtmuseum to the Old Town.

We never did walk to the train station as we had a car, I know there are also several taxi services in Hall.

Another website that may be of assistance:

http://tinyurl.com/4eszgg

You could also email the Hall Tourist Info and ask them to send you any info they have in English as well asking about the distances to the train station, etc.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM

Hi Barbara5353,
bettyk is correct. About a 10 min. walk to the old town center from the Gasthof Badl. It's about 5 minutes from the train station to the Badl. While we had a car, we walked a few times from the Badl to the Old Town which you walk under the train station.

Paul
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:10 AM

Thanks, Paul. Now that you mention it, I do remember going across the RR tracks on the way to the Old Town. I'd love to go back to Hall some day. It was such a beautiful setting and we had great weather too.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 02:08 PM

Hey bettyk,
I agree. Hall in Tirol, along with staying at the Gasthof badl, is worth repeating. We did!

Paul
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 02:41 PM

Paul, next time you want to stay in the Tirol region, I can highly recommend Maurach on Achensee where we stayed in September 07. Really beautiful and few Americans.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM

We stayed in Igls last year for two nights and it was a delightful little village. We were traveling by train and the bus ride from the train station to the village wasn't much more than 15 minutes. Unfortunately, I was sick and it poured rain, so we weren't able to get out and do anything, but I would stay there again if we were in the area. Our hotel was just down from the Sporthotel and we took half board, so unsure of how many restaurants are available. I did see at least one cafe.