Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help - Am I picking a bad hotel in Paris?

Notices

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all -

I know that there are a ton of postings on hotels in Paris, and I have searched them all. However, I am now freaking out that I may have picked a hotel in a bad location, etc. Second thoughts are crowding my head!

I am going to Paris 14 - 21 Sept. The first few days I will be there for business staying at the Hotel Colonade St. Lazare. My husband will be coming with me to extend the trip to a vacation for us, but the hotel I am at for business is booked for the rest of our stay, plus its a little more money thatn I would like to spend.

I have looked into a ton of different hotels, and have seemed to settle on the Five Hotel in the Latin Quarter.

We prefer boutique hotels with a more modern flair. Wireless internet is a must for my husband who runs a computer business. This hotel seemed perfect. It got great reviews (for the most part) on trip advisor, etc.

But, when looking at maps it seems kind of far from everything.

We don't mind walking and don't have any particular things on our must see list. Mostly, we just enjoy wandering, people watching, and eating. I love to shop, but with the US exchange rate being what it is, and the fact that I work in NYC, its not really worth it unless I find something truely unique.

My husband and I are both from the NY metro area, so subways and public transport are old hat to us.

Am I overreacting? Does anyone know anything about this hotel? Is this a good location? Can you please help settle my mind?

If this is a bad location, or a bad hotel, does anyone have any other recommendations for a similar style hotel? The rate for the Five Hotel seems too good to be true at 300 euro for a deluxe room, but I don't mind spending up to 350-375 euro.

Thank you!!!
Hilary
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM

The location is in one of my favorite areas - the price is 3X more than I pay. LOL.
I am not sure about it being a boutique hotel - from the website my guess would be that it caters to Americans and Japanese (among others).
At this time I would relax and enjoy your trip. Changing hotels is prblematic due to what is going on in Paris this fall.
You will have a ball.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry, I know nothing of the hotel, and personally prefer to stay closer to the river in the 5th, or in the Marais or parts of the 6th. That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong w/ the location. A short-ish walk from 2 metro stations, the Pantheon, Luxembourg Gdns, etc.

As I said - I'd personally stay a bit farther north (and w/ more traditional decor) - but the hotel looks like the type you described. I think you will enjoy it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:46 PM

I had never heard of that hotel, but looked it up and I guess it is a new one. I personally don't prefer to stay closer to the Seine, as I don't like the area around the Seine, nor St Germain in particular, and do like that are of Paris fairly well. It isn't that close to the Pantheon or Luxembourg Gardens-- not by my measure anyway, although I'm sure it's less than a mile (probably about 1 km). Gobelins is the closest metro stop, about four blocks.

If you are concerned it is far from everything, maybe it is for you. I like that area fairly well, but even I would probably rather be a little closer to a metro stop.

I do think if you are paying 300 euro for it, it is way overpriced for that location, though. If you are used to London or NY or something, you may think that's the norm in Paris, but there are many hotels you can get for that rate in more expensive areas. Given its location, I wouldn't pay that. Hotels in that area just don't cost that much. It's like a super expensive house in a middle class neighborhood. Of course, I haven't looked at the website that much, if that 300 euro gets you some humongous room, it might be worth it -- it's new so I assume everything is nice and lots of amenities.

I presume you read the review in the NY Times which said to call the rooms small would be generous. I know rates are highest in September, but even their own website lists 240 euro as the maximum rate in that hotel, 220 euro for a superior room. Some new hotels opening in Paris that are real modern have really set some high rates, I've noticed. If you are going to Paris in only a couple weeks, you aren't going to have a lot of choices, though -- I just think it's overpriced.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:51 PM

Hi

As you say, the reviews on TA seems to be pretty good: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

Paris is a pretty big city and attractions are spread out. If you take a look at this Paris Google map that I have made http://gardkarlsen.com/paris_france_map.htm you can see where the attractions are located. So as long as you stay near a metro station you will be able to get around. So I think you will be fine Here is my Paris trip report from last year by the way: http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm Have a great trip.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:43 AM

The hotel is not in a "bad" area, just highly inconvenient. It is half a block from the 14th. Many tourists stay in this general area because of the low hotel rates available. For the same price you could stay in the 7th at Le Walt. This **** is just steps from the metro, bus line and taxi stand. Top floorsoffer a view of the Tour Eiffel.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:59 AM

I'm no expert, as I've only been to Paris once, but a central location is more important to me than specific hotel ammenities. For that price, seems you should be able to have both (better location and nice hotel).
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:30 AM

We have stayed in spotless boutique hotels in the 15th for a fraction of the price you quote. Within a block of the Metro, a block from a Monoprix, no tourists to speak of, nice restaurants with no expense-account American Express card trade and marvelous food & service.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Ok, so lots of people telling me I sort of am picking a bad hotel, so any recommendations on good hotels????
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:58 AM

For Paris, I don't start with looking at individual hotels. I think the location is most important. Work from a map to find more centrally located ones, or from recommendations to get more bang for your buck in that price range.

I have several recommendations in that price range, but they are not the modern sort you say you are looking for, more traditional in decor.

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:03 AM

At about #14 right now is a thread about best hotels under 200 Euro. I know your budget is higher but there are some good suggestions.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:05 AM

& i just topped one of mine called "Up the budget - Paris hotels" for friends I was helping plan their honeymoon.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:15 AM

I am going to Paris 14 - 21 Sept.

If you are talking about 2007 and have this hotel booked, relax and enjoy it.
I think most of the comments were made if you were planning well in advance and had some choice in the matter.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:25 AM

Oh, I agree! I hadn't noticed about the dates. If you're leaving within a couple weeks I'd just go with what you've got. There was a good reason you chose it yourself in the first place (I'm assuming).
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:29 AM
ira

Hi B,

>I am going to Paris 14 - 21 Sept. <

Not likely that you will find a better place this late.

Your hotel isn't far from a metro stop.

Enjoy your visit.