Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Help..adjusting itenerary..leaving onThursday..france,italy,switzerland

Help..adjusting itenerary..leaving onThursday..france,italy,switzerland

Aug 26th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Help..adjusting itenerary..leaving onThursday..france,italy,switzerland

Okay..original plan
Aug 29,30-Paris
Aug 31,1- Geneva
Sept 2,3-Muerren
Sept 4,5-Florence
Sept 6,7-Venice
Sept 8-Lugano
Sept 9,10-Luzern
Sept 11-Cologne
Sept 12-17 Amsterdam

Basically, everyone replied I was nuts and would be exhasuted. Not the effect I was desiring out of my trip.

Basically, I have been diagnosed with the early symptoms of MS and exhaustion is a problem. However, I can manage it if I can rest. This trip to Europe..I leave on Thursday, Aug 28th...is probably my first and last. I am 35 and my husband and I are planning on trying to conceive. My age clock and unfortunately health clock is ticking..time is running out. So I really want this trip to be all it can be..but, if I am too tired to enjoy it..what's the point.

So here is plan B:..I have a few hours to try and change hotel reservations...so any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 29,30-Paris
Aug 31-Night train to Venice
Sept 1,2- Venice
Sept 3,4,5- Florence
Sept 6-Milan
Sept 7,8-Lucern(or I skip Milan and stay 3 nights in Lucern..jus the train ride form Florence to Luzern is long!)
Sept 9,10-Muerren
Sept 11-someplace in Germany..Frankfurt or Cologne
Sept12-17 Amsterdam

We have bought Eurorail passes and will be travelling on express trains where possible.
Also in first class.

Please any info...planning to e-mail hotels in Europe ASAP.

Aug 27th, 2003, 01:07 AM

Much better trip. I think you'll enjoy it a lot more. Personally I would add at least an extra day to Paris to give you time to get over jet lag and be able to enjoy the city. You could easily trim Amsterdam as you have a long block of time there.
Aug 27th, 2003, 02:55 AM
ira

Hi mel,

Sorry to hear about your MS. This won't be your only trip.

A couple of suggestions:
1. Trim Amsterdam 2 days and increase Paris by 2 days.

2. Skip Milan and add the day to Venice. I think that riding on the train will be less tiring than getting off in Milan, schlepping luggage to hotel, unpacking and then doing the reverse the next morning.

3. How important is Muerren? I have been searching the train schedules and it seems that you need 2 changes of trains to get there from Luzern. Furthermore, there do not seem to be any easy connections from Muerren to Amsterdam.

Why not a day trip from Lucerne? You could add a day to Amsterdam or Venice.

3a. There are trains from Lucerne to Amsterdam connecting in Basil, but only 9 min between trains. You might want to break your journey there.

4. If not, you can add a day to Florence or Paris.

I am assuming that you already have your tickets into Paris and out of Amsterdam.

Have a lovely trip and keep up your spirits.
Aug 27th, 2003, 04:26 AM

Better but still very busy. Not near enough time in Paris. Leave off Milan and don't spend the extra day in Lucerne either. Don't go to Frankfurt or Cologne either. Concentrate on Paris, Venice (one day is enough there in my opinion), Florence. You obviously want to spend some time in Switzerland but 3 days is about enough. Hotel reservations should be interesting to find at this late date. Paris is an easy place to really relax and enjoy yourself--think how that works into your plan.

Search this Thread