Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help a boyfriend plan a romantic b-day dinner in Barcelona!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-a-boyfriend-plan-a-romantic-b-day-dinner-in-barcelona-806201/)

JasonNY Sep 15th, 2009 12:17 PM

Help a boyfriend plan a romantic b-day dinner in Barcelona!!

Any restaurant suggestions for celebrating a birthday in Barcelona?? Would like to take my lady to an authentic, cozy, Spanish restaurant for her birthday. Money not really an issue. Does not have to be quiet and intimate. I am more interested in a restaurant with personality where we can really sample some top-notch Catalan food, drink wine and enjoy ourselves. I have consulted Maribel's guide, Trip Advisor and other travel books/sites but some suggestions from Fodorites would be helpful. Any suggestions are appreciated and thanks in advance!!

JasonNY Sep 15th, 2009 12:30 PM

We are staying in the Barri Gotic area but location not that important! Thanks again.

Allison Sep 15th, 2009 06:00 PM

topping

Robert2533 Sep 15th, 2009 07:23 PM

For someplace different, interesting and highly popular, you can try Paco Meralgo. For something a little more intimate, then dinner at the Windsor fits the bill, but is a bit more expensive.

Franto Sep 15th, 2009 07:27 PM

La Fonda off La Rambla. It is a Spanish restaurant. My favorite in Barcelona. Passatge Escudellers 1, 08002 Barcelona. I would recommend a reservation. I did not get one for the two times we went there but it is quite popular.

travelphile Sep 15th, 2009 08:35 PM

LOVED Barcelona, though we stayed on Mt. Tibidabo and had no issues being out that far... as long as we were willing to take cabs home!

http://www.cdlcbarcelona.com/ is perfect. We stumbled upon it (literally, you'll see) and had a fabulous meal there. We ate at the antique-ish tables outside, but there was floor seating, and tables inside as well. I'm sure it could be a great club, but we were there till closing (probably a Tuesday!) in the wee hours and it stayed as a restaurant that night. Great food and such a neat place.

Lifeman Sep 16th, 2009 12:56 AM

I love the following :

EL GRAN CAFÉ—GREAT FOOD AND ATMOSPHERE. IT’S IN THE CALLE AVINYO—GOTHIC QUARTER-- TELEPHONE 93 318 7986.

LOS CARACOLES RESTAURANT IN THE BARRI GOTIC. ITS OLDEST RESTAURANT IS "LOS CARACOLES", JUST OFF 'LAS RAMBLAS', FAMOUS FOR ITS OPEN KITCHEN, OLD FASHIONED FURNISHING AND FAMOUS GUEST LIST. CALLE ESCUDELLERS 14, BARCELONA, TEL 34-93-302-3185

QUO VADIS RESTAURANT, JUST OFF THE RAMBLA, ON THE RIGHT GOING DOWN TOWARDS THE SEA, IN THE CARRER DEL CARME, A COUPLE OF HUNDRED YARDS FROM PLACA DE CATALUNYA. TURN RIGHT AT THE END OF THE WALL WITH THE RECTANGULAR DESIGN. THE RESTAURANT IS ON THE LEFT.

4 CATS RESTAURANT ON THE CARRER MONTSIO OFF THE PORTAL DE L’ ANGEL OFF THE PLACA DE CATALUNYA. MONTSIO IS A VERY NARROW STREET, SO DON’T MISS IT, OPPOSITE SIDE TO EL CORTE INGLES. THIS IS NOT TO BE MISSED. THE BAR AND RESTAURANT WERE THE HAUNTS OF PICASSO AND HIS CONTEMPORARIES IN THE LATE 19TH. AND EARLY 20TH. CENTURIES. THE INTERIOR IS LITTLE CHANGED AND THE FOOD IS GOOD. BOOKING ESSENTIAL. TEL: 933 024 140 www.4gats.com

If pushed, I'd go to the 4Cats, but book first.

Enjoy!

JulieVikmanis Sep 16th, 2009 01:43 AM

I agree with Robert 2533. If you want a fun place with good vibe, interesting people watching and great food (tapas--so lots to try) go to Paco Meralgo. It's bright, however, and seating is "tall" on stools so, while it's an attractive place, it's not romantic. It can also be kind of "bustling" as it's always food. If you want a wonderful, classy, chic, romantic place, go to Windsor. It's beautiful. Do the menu (food is excellent and, for what you get, quite reasonable.) We've been seated twice in the glassed in "porch" area which we loved. It's quiet, intimate, but if you want a bit more interest/excitement one of the larger rooms with the beautiful abstract colorful paintings would be perfect too.

We've been to BCN 3 or 4 times and like it more each time. If you click on my name, you'll see a couple of trip reports with extensive info on our dining experiences there.

JulieVikmanis Sep 16th, 2009 03:55 AM

Oops. The comment about Paco Meralgo should state that it's always "full" not "food" When they provide a preview function, why don't I use it!

JasonNY Sep 16th, 2009 05:54 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions! My girlfriend's birthday is on a Sunday so some of these restaurants are closed. The Windsor & Quo Vadis are closed but looks like 4Gats, El Gran Cafe, CDLC & Paco Meralgo are all open on Sundays and now I will research the others. Thanks again!

JulieVikmanis Sep 16th, 2009 02:58 PM

Yes, we have gone to Paco Meralgo a couple of times on Sunday evening. It is a great place and the food is terrific. It won't be a "candlelight" kind of night, but it will be fun and you will enjoy it. You can cuddle on the way back to the hotel.