Help!!! 5 Open Days in Europe

Feb 5th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Help!!! 5 Open Days in Europe

I have had a few posts in the last week concerning my upcoming trip to Europe. Since my wife will not be able to accompany me because of some knee surgery, I'll be traveling alone. I land in Paris on March 25th and am scheduled to be in Rome on March 30th until April 12th. My current plans call for a side trip to Interlaken, Switzerland until going to Rome. We were there 18 months ago for a week and had a fabulous time. I'm very open to any suggestions on how I can fill the days prior to going to Rome (5 full days). I've been to Paris 5 times over the years and have seen just about everything possible. I'm flying into Paris and out of Rome because of a great air fare I got from United a few months ago. Thanks, Mike
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Congratulations on your success in Paris. I've been there maybe 10 times, often for two weeks at a time, and I have yet to cover half of what there is to see. You must be a much better traveler than I am!

I'd caution you against returning to somewhere you had a fabulous time just a year and a half ago. Those returns never seem to live up to the memory. I'd consider somewhere new. If you liked Switzerland for the mountains and the scenery -- maybe go to Zermatt or Saas Fee. You can TGV to Montreaux or even beyond for a day or two and then spend a few days in the Alps, before heading to Rome. Or go to Chamonix in France by train from Paris and then fly from Geneva to Rome.
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:44 PM
ira

Hi mike,

Have you been to Florence and Venice?

I, too, am amazed that you have "seen just about everything possible" in Paris.
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, I always enjoy your comments on this this website. I've been to Zermatt and Chamonix on two separate occasions (great places). I've been to the Interlaken area on 4 different trips (a week last year) and simply love the scenery in the mountains. By the way, "I must be". Mike
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Ira, it's truly an honor hearing from one of the legends of travel (I really mean that). No, I have not been to Venice or Florence, but have read most of your posts concerning Florence. I'm leaning toward doing just that, Venice and Florence. Thanks again for your reply. By the way, I was only having a little fun with Patrick. P.S. I've spent several weeks in Paris over the years as I'd rather be there with my wife than alone this trip.
Feb 5th, 2004, 01:03 PM

"I've been to Paris 5 times over the years and have seen just about everything possible." This seems highly improbable but if it is the case consider Lyon, Turin (overlooked by tourists), Milan or Venice if you want cities or Tuscany (based in Lucca) if you want scenery and more scenery. At that time of year the weather could be very nice. Good luck.
Feb 5th, 2004, 01:13 PM
ira

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the kind words.

I would also rather do this trip with my Lady Wife instead of alone, and it's too bad she can't come. You can score lots of points picking up a few odds and ends for her - Gucci, Prada, Chanel, etc.

Since you are going to Rome, Venice and Florence are naturals. You can get cheap flights from Paris Orly to Venice on www.volareweb.com.

Enjoy your trip.
Feb 5th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Ira, maybe you or someone can help me with one of your suggestions. I will be looking for a specific perfume in Paris. It's called Anthracite by Jacomo. We were unable to find it on our last trip to Paris (bought it there a few years ago), but oddly enough found in a perfume store in Lourdes, France (figure that one out). Does anyone have any specific locations other than general large Paris department or perfume stores? Mike