Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP--2 Budget Travellers Heading to Venice/cortona italy on 11/15/01

Nov 12th, 2001, 11:18 AM
anna

Hello all,

great to hear some of the comments on this site. My boyfriend and I are taking a trip to italy THIS THURSDAY for 9 days and plan to spend 4 or 5 in venice, and then head south to either cortona, montepulciano or san giamango-- by train.
We are looking for more budget suggestions, my business has been a little less lucrative this season, and basically, we are not too picky.

A few questions:
on VENice

1. For the budget traveller in venice-- We are looking for something around 100,000L for a double. I may look into aparment renting, which an earilier post suggested. (any experience with that? cost?)
also-- we are looking at:
Pensione La Calcina-- if we can talk them down a bit from the 180L on their website. (oddly, fodors "Up close book" list them at 80,000L--- big tease!)
also- fosteria valdese-- rooming house place near campo santa maria.
or Casa Gerotto Calderan- 70,000 in fodors too.
any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. for people travelling in italy/venice recently, (in oct/nov) did you find that smaller numbers of travellers or tourists made the prices of hotels more negotiable? or was it hard to find a place.
i struggle with wanting to book a place ahead of time, or just show up and shop for a good rate while there (being able to walk away can be a nice option for bargaining)
but i dont know how busy it is there right now.

3. is either cortona, san giamango or montepulciano easier by train? we have heard great things about cortona as a small city with fun goings on-- has anyone had good luck with a cheap place to stay there. did you have fun?

4. and just to refresh my memory-- where's the best place to get an exchange rate. banks in italy, an atm with your own atm card? (not airports I know).

I know its a lot of questions, but I just found this resource-- and well- you are such an educated and resourceful group of travellers, I just had to ask away.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many regards and thanks,
anna b
0h- and is 50's 60's (temp) reasonable to expect in mid-november travel? lots of rain? hope not too much. thanks

Nov 12th, 2001, 11:55 AM
elaine

anna
although a lot of Americans aren't traveling, Europeans are, and Venice is a popular destination even for just a weekend. I was there a few weeks ago and it was far from empty.
If you wait until you get there to book a hotel, you might be lucky and find a great place for a low price, but you might not, and you'll be spending time on it. La Calcina is a very popular and highly-recommended place; if the price works for you, I'd book it. If you like you can search on this forum for past comments on it.
Best rates tend to be found by using credit cards, and atms. Your bank may charge you an additional fee for atm transactions made abroad.
And bring an umbrella.
enjoy your trip.

Nov 12th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Christophe

Hotel Martello has doubles for about $170,000 - worth it i think because they are clean and speak english thoroughly. They will help you with currency too!

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Sarah

I have heard that Locanda Ca' foscari is good for the price. In dosurduro, they speak english.
As far as the weather, i don't know. 40's,50's and 60's i would imagine.
warmer as you go north.

I'd also be curious to hear about Cortona and peoples experiences with it.
good luck!

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:15 PM
sarah

oops!! i meant south!!

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Skylar

Foresteria Valdese is excellent. It is a gorgeous building and the location is perfect. It is very difficult to find, but once you get to the correct piazza, somebody should be able to direct you. They are run by a religious organization, and enforce rather strict rules (no drinking alcohol on the premises etc) but there is no curfew. There was a lock-out beginning at 11 am and ending at 5 - but it was an impetus to get out rather than a hassle. I met some great people there and there are small double rooms available for cheap. I would go for it - but book in advance.

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Skylar

I just read the rest of the message. San Giminiano is absolutely gorgeous, but you can only get there by bus. I would highly recommend it though - it's fabulous. Also, ATM withdrawls are an easy and efficient way to get money in Italy - and you get a better rate than you do at an exchange place. Be sure to check with your bank to ensure what your daily withdrawl limit is, and change it if you don't think it will be enough. That proved to be a problem when I was in Europe last year. Have fun, that area is perfect!

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:48 PM
anna

thanks for the tips!
i'll be working on the suggestions re: money, umbrella, etc

Has anyone else stayed (in venice) at the locanda ca foscari?

or casa peron? in dosoduro?

i am also interested in lodging options or experiences in cortona or san giamango. thanks again, look forward to hearing more before our trip begins. best, anna

Nov 12th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Rhonda

If all else fails go to the tourist information office at the train stations. They'll help you find somewhere to stay.

Nov 13th, 2001, 05:09 AM
anna

for anyone who has stayed at the fosteria valdese (skylar?). Do you recall if they let couples stay there who arene't married? in the same room? I tend to think no, since they are a relig. organization, but if anyone is aware of those restrictions, let me know. thanks!

Nov 13th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Dale

Anna:
My dear, you're talking about Italy, not the bible belt. I'm certain that they couldn't care less about your marital state. Ciao.

Nov 13th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Antoine

Dale, if it is a religious org., Anna should definitly check out: While visiting the Gargano in southern Italy, my girlfriend and I were forced to sleep in two different rooms since we weren't married. The very religious old lady at the desk charged us the price of one double bedroom but didn't allowed us to actually sleep in one same room. That very same night, around midnight, when it looked like everybody were finally asleep, I silently came out of my room, and without turning any lights on and carrefuly avoiding any noise I reached my girlfriend's room wich was a couple of floor upstairs (an extra precaution from the Lady since half of the rooms on my floor were empties). The fear of a controll night break-in didn't spoiled our romantic night, "risk" actually added some flavour to it...

Nov 13th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Geraldine

Hello Anna,
Just back from Verona Monday 12.11.01
Went to Venice on Saturday.Tourist Information at Verona train station did not help at all so don't rely on them.
I asked did they speak English and that was enough I didn't even get a chance to say I was Irish!!. Buy a phrase book.
Venice had a 24 hour train strike last Saturday from 9pm to 9pm Sunday so check this out incase the same happens this weekend or next week and you may have to make alternative arrangements for travel. Apparently this happens quite often without alot of warning. DO NOT GO to Harrys Bar.
1 coffee and 1 coke £10. Take a small umbrella with you and a hat. Weather - cold Saturday but pleasant. Friday rained all day long. Certain booking offices close early on Saturday and Sunday. We thought we would have got into Doges Palace but booking office closed early. Bell Tower also closed so we were unable to buy tickets.

Nov 13th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Sonney

Anna -
Cortona is on the side of a hill. Cannot get to it without Train/Bus combo. The Hotel San Luca is right at the edge of town with Dbl's for about $100.00 or so. You can check them out via a search on Google using the above name. We were in Florence last Oct and again this Aug. as well as Cortona in Aug. Aug. busy busy with people. October much nicer. Now should be great. Enjoy.

Nov 13th, 2001, 05:28 PM
anna

thanks for the advice and stories. train strike, good to know about. and the sleeping arrangements in southern italy! funny. i did find out- while calling a few hotels today earlier today, that a couple were closed or were closing soon,for a nov/dec break. (fosteria valdese closes til nov 26).

has anyone stayed in the hotel al gobbo (in campo san geremia)--listed at 135oooL-double
or locanda casa petrarca (160oooL dbl)
or locanda toscana (135000L dbl)
albergo doni (170000L dbl)
or hotel fontana (near san marco)
its been fun researching these hotels, i know we'll end up finding a decent place , but its great to hear suggestions nonetheless. thanks again, i'll probably check in from the internet cafe once or twice on my trip-- just to see if there's some more good tips or suggestions on venice, montepulciao, cortona- etc VERy excited!!

Nov 13th, 2001, 05:29 PM
anna

sorry for the double post. didnt catch that. and I forgot to mention, the aforementioned hotels are in Venice.