Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hello Mike From Canada I have Questions perhaps someone can help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hello-mike-from-canada-i-have-questions-perhaps-someone-can-help-755367/)

mikejones Dec 28th, 2007 11:34 PM

Hello Mike From Canada I have Questions perhaps someone can help

Hello My name is Mike and am in the planning stages of Visiting Salisbury and other places in the UK. I plan to visit Aug 2008. Well my plan is to come Mid Aug. for about 3 weeks to visit with Friends and they don’t have enough room so what I want to do is to have a place to stay whilts visiting, go out for the day trips etc. So what does anyone recomend how I go about in planning etc and what to see and do for the time I am there and how to go bout finding the right buses and trains as well. Kind Regards From Mike in Vancouver British Columbia Canada
P.S. I have a Passport and a rough budget.
I also have a B@B on standby as well.

20 Potters Way

Laverstock, Salisbury, SP1 1PY

Any help would be Great
Thanks from Mike in Canada.

icithecat Dec 29th, 2007 12:00 AM

Hi Mike from Vancouver.
Ici from Victoria here.
You need to use that screen in front of your face to figure out what you want to see when you are there.
Search for travel Devon, Dorset, etc.
Busses and trains are specific questions once you have an idea what you want to see.

Nonconformist Dec 29th, 2007 03:50 AM

Salisbury's a great place to stay, and there's loads to see in Wiltshire and Hampshire. Ici's suggestion of Devon would be a bit far for daytrips, and so would much of Dorset.

What kinds of things interest you generally? Do you have any particular destinations already in mind?

Nonconformist Dec 29th, 2007 04:02 AM

However, I would rethink Laverstock without a car. It's not really in Salisbury proper, but is a separate village whioch is now more or less a suburb of Salisbury. You'd need to get the bus into Salisbury before doing anything else. If money is an issue you could try the youth hostel, which is right in the city, just a few minutes walk from the centre.

The website for the local bus company is www.wdbus.co.uk

janisj Dec 29th, 2007 06:05 AM

Salisbury is a good place to visit - but there are many nice B&Bs and I am curious why you chose that one. Does your friend live nearby? It is basically a modern house in a suburb more than a mile from the center of Salisbury. Now if your friend lives just down the road, that is great, but otherwise I wouldn't think it is the most convenient for public transport.

I am not clear - you mainly ask about day trips so do you plan on spending the entire 3 weeks near Salisbury?

If so, you can do day trips to Bath, Winchester, London, Stonehenge/Avebury, the New Forest, Southhampton/Portsmouth.

On the other hand, if you plan on leaving Salisbury for a few days/week at a time and touring other parts of England/the UK you could go almost anywhere. Do a search on here (granted, the search function is not very good) and start deciding which other parts of the country you want to visit.

SandyBrit Dec 29th, 2007 12:33 PM

mikejones:

For more help please tell us if you will be based in Laverstock for your entire 3 weeks holiday and your budget per day for the B&B.

Here's a site to get you started on days out - www.visitwiltshire.co.uk

To find your post click on your own name. Welcome to Fodor's.

Sandy

suze Dec 29th, 2007 04:52 PM

^^^

icithecat Dec 29th, 2007 07:49 PM

OK.
Sorry I can't keep my counties straight.
Mike, come back at us with what interests you, and we can help.

mikejones Dec 30th, 2007 03:21 PM

Yes I plan to use Salisbury as my base cause my friends live there and I plan to tour with them and when they don't have time I'll go about on my own and reason I pick lavastock is because it is the cheapest place I could find and it seems like a good place. In keeping with a low price place I will have more money for traveling and also the transportation etc.

mikejones Dec 30th, 2007 03:26 PM

Thanks all for your help for an Iterinary out of Salisbury. I think London will be the last place by what people have suggested I would like to see the South First like portsmouth and the like and then London last.

I will maybe ask more once I have a better idea. but again thanks Everyone.

SandyBrit Dec 30th, 2007 04:26 PM

On the other thread mikejones tells us he plans to be based in Salisbury and will take day trips when his friends can not go out with him.

He choose the B&B in Laverstock that he is asking information on because it meets his budget of about 20.00 GBP day.

mikejones: It works better to keep all your inquires and answers on one thread so just let the other one fade away.

Janisj and other fodor posters suggestions or ideas for mikejones on other lodging within his budget.

mikejones - do send for some free brochures offered on the link I gave you. Good luck and happy planning.

Sandy

ElendilPickle Dec 30th, 2007 04:31 PM

Mike, have you considered staying in a hostel? There's a nice YHA hostel right in Salisbury. My husband and I stayed there in May and were pleased with the experience. www.yha.org.uk

Lee Ann

mikejones Dec 30th, 2007 10:44 PM

Thank You all.

It was loads of help.

DCJones Dec 31st, 2007 08:13 PM

We stayed at Webster's B&B in Salisbury.

www.websters-bed-breakfast.com

We were in the ground floor room. It was very nice

mikejones Jan 6th, 2008 10:32 PM

Thanks everyone I have alot of ideas now thanks to everyone here.

Now to work it all out.

:D