Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heidelburg vs rothenburg vs erfurt

if you could only choose one of these places which one would it be
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Heidelberg if you like to party in the bars. Rotenburg if you want peace and quiet in the evening after the tourists have gone.

You might read my trip report if you get time. Do a search on my screen name. It was posted this morning.
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

thanks vegaslocal. I wanted to ask you about heidelburg. Was the old part of town not worth it. Is the old part of town not that quiete.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Heidelberg is a fairly large city with an old-city core and a big castlke ruin; Rothenburg is a fairly compact medieval city

Besides that, your choice probably should depend on how you plan to travel, by car or train?

If by train, going to Heidelberg is a bit off the beaten path, in other words there are not many other places you can combine with this trip.

To get to Rothenburg by train, you can stop in Wuerzburg and see that beautiful city with its palace and castle, and then go on to Rothenburg.

If you go by car, you can combine the two if you have about three days: Heidelberg, then along the Neckar to Heilbronn, Autobahn A-6 east to the intersection with the autobahn A-7, then head north on it to Rothenburg exit. Time from Heidelberg to Rothenburg about 2 hours.

Old May 9th, 2006, 09:04 AM

Rothenburg is the number ONE tourist attraction in Germany..and that's among the Germans.

Go there if you'd enjoy seeing a walled town complete with moat and a "town" that some people have criticized as being "too Disney-like" with "too many Christmas stores" and "too many tourists."

I loved the place the first time I went there and I think it is worth at least one visit. Be aware, however, that to get there by rail you'll have to make at least one change of train, usually, at Steinach.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Both H and R are worth a visit: we liked Gasthaus Backmulde in H and Hot Berg in R.
Maybe our real favs - Nurburg or Riquewhir (Alsace).
M (SMdA, Gto.)