Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Heidelberg to Sorrento- best travel route
Notices

Heidelberg to Sorrento- best travel route

Feb 10th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Heidelberg to Sorrento- best travel route

We are a group of 4 adults + 1 six year old. Destination & home base will be Sorrento (arriving from Heidelberg) for 10 days. We are looking for a 3 day stop over before arriving in Sorrento and are open to any location and vehicle -plane, train, car travel. We considered Cinque Terre, but are open to other towns. We are not interested in exhaustive travel arrangments just to get to Cinque Terre- only if it can be easily managed. I have found no direct flight or train to eitehr locaiton, - hence the inquiry. We are open for adventure- but not long rides just to see that "one town", when thre may be alternatives just as sweet. Advise- thanks
Feb 10th, 2013, 06:37 AM

There is not simple direct train or plane to either location.

If you are spending all that time in Sorrento not sure why you would go to another seaside resort like CT - esp one that is based primarily on hiking between the various times (probably too much for a 6 year old to do).

It would help to know what your interests are to make suggestions as to where you might want to stop.

Otherwise - I would fly to Naples and get a car/driver to wherever you will be staying. Alternatively you can take the local train from Naples to Sorrento and then the bus to the smaller towns down the coast.

You don't say what time of year you will be going. If during the summer I would stick with ferry and bus there. If May or Oct you may want to consider driving - since local roads are then OK for driving and it's a reasonable way to get around. If you should drive from Heidelberg depends on if it;'s your car or you are renting - or if this is part of a larger trip.
Feb 10th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi- thanks! More details would help- NP. We are booked March 23-April 7 (next month). We like hiking, wine, and water sports- but too cold for that I fear. Sightseeing and mixing with locals, cooking and enjoying the scene- low key! We could drive (private car) from Heidelberg, but trains are so great especially with 6 yr old boys- we just need a good route. Flying seems like easiest- but I would love to see another area if possible. Kind regards

Search this Thread