Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Heidelberg-IN ONE DAY HELP! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/heidelberg-in-one-day-help-487040/)

paularu Nov 20th, 2004 04:03 PM

Heidelberg-IN ONE DAY HELP!

Hello, very last minute trip with only one day in Heidelberg. All suggestions are welcomed? Shopping? Sights? What can I expect? Thank you

Carmen Nov 20th, 2004 04:48 PM

You can see a lot in Heidelberg in a day. We started by walking across the historic bridge whose name I can't recall and hiking up the Philosopher's walk. We then made our way to the Castle and managed to wander through the old city and the shopping district around the edges. Had a lovely dinner at a place called Simplicimus (spelling?). We were there two nights and one day, which was just enough to make us want to return and explore the area more thoroughly next time. Enjoy your trip!

Kascha912 Nov 22nd, 2004 05:50 AM

Hi there,
if you use the search function with "heidelberg" or my nick name you'll get a whole lot of information.
(Grew up there, keep coming back to visit my parents, will actually be there in something like a week...)

Another starting point for quick info is www.cvb-heidelberg.de, the tourist information of Heidelberg.

If you're in Heidelberg within the next couple of weeks/days: The christmas markets open on the 24th!

There are several spread out throughout the town.

You don't seem to need a hotel, but for others: My very favorite small hotel (Hotel am Kornmarkt) right underneath the castle has now a homepage: www.hotelamkornmarkt.de

Now, restaurant sugestions (all of them in the Altstadt):

For real traditional heavy fare go to the Kulturbrauerei (www.heidelberger-kulturbrauerei.de). Very nicely done beerhall, great atmosphere, great microbrews, good food.
And by the way, they have a very nice hotel, also.
Located on Leyweg in the very old part of town - or just ask anybody.

For something like regional lighter foods with a French twist, go to the Weisser Bock (www.weisserbock.de). Beautiful (!) place, wonderful food.
Located on Heumarkt (best description for location: walk down into side street at Starbucks...).

Just want to grab a bite? How about Italian at Bistro Sylvie (Paninoteca) in Steingasse leading up to the Old Bridge.

Shopping? Walk up and down the Hauptstrasse. Running parallel to that between the university and Heiliggeistkirche is Untere Strasse. Or parallel to Hauptstrasse towards the hill/mountain is a street called Ploeck.
Is there anything specific you're looking for?

Sights: Well, in just one day you'll probably do the castle (funicular available if you don't feel like walking), the Old Bridge. The Philosopher's Walk (as mentioned by Carmen) offers spectacular views of the city - but it's a steep climb and with just one day...) If you DO feel like it: Walk across the Old Bridge and then look for a sign pointing to the Schlangenweg...

If there's anything else I can help you with mail me at kascha912 AT gmx.de
I'll be checking the mail several times today.