Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HEEELLLPPP!!!!!!!REALLY need help...please tell me about your favorite cities/towns in mainland greece and peloponese.............thanks

Search

HEEELLLPPP!!!!!!!REALLY need help...please tell me about your favorite cities/towns in mainland greece and peloponese.............thanks

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: I will be travelling to greece for 16 days at the end of March with my husband a children ages 2-8. We need help with an itinerary. We are not interested in spending alot of time on ferries and would prefer to find a base for a about a week either on the mainland or Peloponese. Would love to know what towns or sights to visit. thanks

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 02:23 AM

There are plenty of possibilities on the mainland and/or Peloponnese. There is so much to see and do, though there are no guarantees with the weather in March and a lot of the tourist facilities could be closed, as the tourist season doesn't realy start until Easter. Greek Orthodox Easter Sunday is 1st May this year.

The west coast round Parga is beautiful. Parga itself is a lovely resort with a pretty harbour, ruined castle and narrow streets running up the hillside under the castle. North of the castle is the huge sandy beach of Valtos.

If you get chance to visit Meteora (central mainland), it certainly is an amazing place. The rock scenery alone with it's weather worn pinnacles would be fantastic enough but they are also topped by little monasteries making for a fascinating place.

As it is so early in the season, you may be better heading south to the Peloponnese. Tolon or Nauphlion might be a good base, the latter being big enough to ensure facilies "off season". Nauphlion has a big fort and pleasant harbour and is in reach of various archeological sites such as Mycenae, Epidaurus and ancient Corinth.

In Messinia in the south west you could visit Pylos, Methoni and Koroni with interesting forts and some beautiful beaches.

The Mani is beautiful too, then there's Monemvassia.... The possibilities are endless, you don't need to visit the islands to see some beautiful areas of Greece.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. We did'nt really factor in the off season problems. It sounds like we can't go wrong.Again thanks for your wonderful suggestions.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 04:52 AM

The plus side of going off-season is that you'll have a lot of places to yourself and the countryside will be full of wild flowers. We're going to Finikounda in the south-west Peloponnese on 1st May - first charter flights out from the UK of the season.

A few web links:
www.pargaweb.com/eng.asp
www.monemvasia.com
www.pylos.net
www.meteora-greece.com
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Again much thanks. Enjoy your trip
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:51 AM

first of all, i assume that you are planning to hire a car if you intend to travel around mainland greece & the peloponnese . there are bus and train connections but mainly between towns, so you wont have the opportunity to visit some of the best sights . here are my favourite places on mainland greece .

in central greece the must see's are delphi and Meteora, you will find many information about these places . if you finally plan to visit central greece my suggestion is to visit also mountain Pelion, next to the town of Volos . The forests, teh views over the sea and the architecture of the villages there (esp. Makrinitsa, Vizitsa and Tsangarada) are just great (www.pelion.org) .
Another option would be town of Ioannina and the area called "Zagori" or "Zagorohoria" . Dont miss the gorge of Vikos and the village Papigkon http://www.zagorama.com/zagori-gen/e.../text-eng.html

there are plenty of sights in the peloponnese . Nafplion is a beautiful venetian port, perfect base to mycanae, epidaurus and ancient corinth . dont bother with Tolon is a boring coastal town . in the south you must not miss monemvassia
www.culture.gr/2/21/212/21205a/e212ea02.html
www.monemvasia.com
mystras and the mani region (dont miss the village of Vathia)
http://www.thegreektravel.com/mani/mani.html

a great daytrip from athens is the island of Hydra, truly magic port .
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. We will have a car,but as our children are 2,5 and 8 we want to limit driving time. Is meteora a gooda day trip from Athens?
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:37 AM

We drove to Meteora from the Pelion - it took about 3 hours from there but the roads were pretty straight, flat and quiet. I would think it was similar distance from Athens but I'm not sure of the terrain. I know they did trips there from Parga - but that was over the mountains, so would have taken longer. There is accomodation in the town nearby, if you wanted to take longer over it.