Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Heathrow to Royal Horseguard Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/heathrow-to-royal-horseguard-hotel-293282/)

gg Feb 28th, 2003 06:12 AM

Heathrow to Royal Horseguard Hotel

On a Sunday morning how would you go from Heathrow to the Royal Horseguards Hotel?

Patrick Feb 28th, 2003 06:20 AM

How would I go? I'd call a few days earlier to Swiss Cottage Cars at 44-207-431-2700 and arrange to be met by a private car and driver for about 25 pounds and let them deliver me to the door of the hotel.

MHS Feb 28th, 2003 06:55 AM

We are making the same trip also on a Sunday morning -- I have booked with Ray Skinner, a bit more but waiting until a few days before makes me too nervous. Would rather confirm all bookings @7days-72 hrs prior rather than just be making them.<BR><BR>I do have a related question. Mr. Skinner stated that the driver would wait for 1 hr. Assume that's adequate time for clearing passport control, etc. unless there's a Heathrow lock-down. Here in US our meeting service checks on arrival time &amp; adjusts if plane is late. Those who have used Mr. Skinner -- does he do same? Have visions of circling for 1/2 hr &amp; then long lines &amp; no waiting driver. (Can you tell I worry? -- lots LOL)<BR><BR>And, if we allow an additional hour for getting to hotel, can we reasonably expect to be &quot;out &amp; about&quot; by 9:30am(plane due to land 6:30am)? Would like to see the Horseguards Changing Ceremony which should be close to the hotel if I'm map reading correctly.<BR>Thanks.

Patrick Feb 28th, 2003 07:11 AM

I guess I don't get your point, MHS. You can call Swiss Cottage Cars 6 months ahead and book if it makes you feel better. I simply meant that it is fine to wait until just a few days ahead, while some of the other services might already be fully booked by then.<BR><BR>And I used Ray Skinner once when we needed a larger van for four of us and lots of luggage than what Swiss Cottage Cars could provide. They made it clear that there was an additional charge for extra waiting over the one hour. On the other hand you give Swiss Cottage Cars your flight information and they keep checking with the airlines. Even if you end up stuck in customs they do not charge you extra. Once our arrival was nearly 2 and a half hours late, and when we apologized to the driver he said it was no problem -- they knew it was a late arrival and timed accordingly -- no extra charge.

MHS Feb 28th, 2003 07:18 AM

Sorry Patrick -- it always seem that &quot;call a few days ahead&quot; was associated with Swiss and I had the impression that reservations further in advance were impossible. Thanks for clarifying that.

Lori Feb 28th, 2003 08:59 AM

Yes, Ray's drivers check on arrival times.<BR>You need not worry about that. <BR>

CalgirlSusan Feb 28th, 2003 02:49 PM

I first used Swiss Cottage Cars just before Christmas thanks to the recommendation here. I believe it was from Patrick. When I checked with the Ray Skinner site recently I found that it is now 39 pounds mimimum. That is more than just a bit more than Swiss Cottage Cars which only charged me 25 pounds in December.

nycjenny Feb 28th, 2003 06:05 PM

gg, thanks for asking this. we're making this trip on a Thursday morning (are fodorites taking over the royal horseguards?!) and I'm torn. Having a car meet us would be nice, but I'm so cheap that taking the tube is really tempting. <BR><BR>Husband is afraid we'd be too annoying to the locals--as for luggage we're planning on each having one carry-on sized piece. The plane gets in at 7:30 am so what do you think?

MHS Feb 28th, 2003 06:54 PM

nycjenny - if I'm reading the tube/express/etc. correctly, none seem to go directly to Victoria so you would have to take a taxi or switch public transit lines. We did the train in Itay, Belgium &amp; Holland but that went straight to the 1 main station. That plus it's really nice to be met made us decide on car service -- and our first trip, the travel agent comped our being met. Really nice after long flight.

MHS Feb 28th, 2003 06:56 PM

PS - Thanks Lori, your info is greatly appreciated.

gg Mar 1st, 2003 04:34 AM

On the return trip to Heathrow we will call Swiss Cottage for a transfer. However, upon arriving would the tube viable option? I will be taking my son and I am trying to cut costs when fesible.

x_x_x Mar 1st, 2003 05:06 AM

The Tube would be the most economical way to get from Heathrow into London. The Piccadilly Line has stations at the airport.<BR>You will need to make a transfer to another line though. Looking at the Tube map, it seems that the Embankment might be the station nearest your hotel.<BR>In that case, according to other posters, the easiest transfer for you to make would be at Hammersmith, no stairs to negotiate there when you transfer from one line to another. <BR>So your route would be :Heathrow to Hammersmith Station , transfer there to the District Line, and then exit at the Embankment Station. <BR>Go to thetube.com and you can check out the journey.<BR>Contact your hotel or look at their web site to see how far you would need to walk after exiting the Tube station.<BR>

gg Mar 1st, 2003 05:28 AM

xxx<BR>Thanks,exactly the info I wanted.

nicki Mar 4th, 2003 04:11 AM

Early on a Sunday morning, the tube should be a snap. The Heathrow stop is at the beginning of the line, so you will get a seat and everyone else will have luggage too, so you don't have to worry that you are inconveniencing anyone. As an earlier poster said, transfer at Hammersmith and all you will have to do is walk to the other side of the platform - no stairs. You may have stairs at the station you exit at, but if you have only one carry-on suitcase you should be able to manage that -- again, early on a Sunday morning the stations will be very uncrowded so you won't be holding anyone up. You may want to check and see how far from the tube station your hotel is - I am assuming it is a few blocks and that you have rolling luggage. I always arrive in London on Sunday morning and find the tube to be very easy and convenient.