Heathrow to Harwich,Eu - train or taxi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Royal Caribbean Cruise, 8/11/10, arrive Heathrow on Aug 9 or 10, going direct to Port of Harwidh. We would like to share taxi transportation cost with 4 oher passengers . Or, as an alternative, what is the advice on train travel to Harwich? If we decide on train travel -- where is the train station and how do we get to the station from Heathrow? [email protected]
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 06:48 AM

NXEA trains to Harwich depart from Liverpool Street station. For timetables and fares go to www.nationalrail.co.uk.

The cheapest way to get from Heathrow to Liverpool Street would be to take the Tube. The current fare is 4 GBP. However, if you're not packing light, then I suggest that you book a private car service like www.justairports.com. It will be cheaper than a taxi and there is a good discount for paying cash.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Liverpool Street station is in postal code EC2. The Just Airports cash fare for an estate (station wagon) that will accommodate up to four pieces of luggage from Heathrow to anywhere in that postal code is 41 GBP.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 08:14 AM

You really want to take a train to Harwich's port but many trains terminate in Harwich town - so try to get the odd one that goes right to the Harwich Harbor so you don't have to taxi again.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Well it seems there are direct trains (no changing) from Liverpool Street Station to Harwich International, the name of the port and which comes after Harwich Town station - they leave every hour at :18 after the hour and take 1.25 hours to the port.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Regardless of what option you choose, it's a long trip - you'll be lucky to be at the port within 4 hours of arriving at LHR.

What are your plans if things go wrong and you miss the ship?
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Harwich Town is the end of the line from London. All trains stop at Harwich International en route. The terminal for cruise ships and ferries is at Harwich International (formerly known as Harwich Parkeston Quay).
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM

thanks for correcting me!
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - I am totally confused.

You arrive at LHR on 9 or 10 Aug. but don't board the ship until 11 Aug? If so, are you sure you want to go directly to the ship?

(Note: Be careful writing your dates. Spell out the month to be clear - your 8/11/10 is November 8, 2010 in most parts of the world including the UK. Especially important if you are booking car services/trains/hotels)

If you arrive on the 10th - and especially if you arrive on the 9th - consider going into central London for the day/night and take a train from Liverpool Street station the morning of Aug 11.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM

Yup not much in Harwich the times i transited the town for boats to Hook - at least not for the tourist IMO

though Chichester IMO is a nice enough regional town - quite near Harwich if not into staying in London
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 11:26 AM

OK PQ - PLEASE put the paint down! We worry about you.

Chichester is all the way across the country from Harwich. Honest. Perhaps you are confusing Harwich w/ Southampton?? But they don't do boats from Southampton to Hoek. Paint 'll do that to you . . . . .

(or do you mean Colchester??? Different place entirely)
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Colchester and thanks for correcting me - i once got off the boat from Holland with my push bike and biked thru Colchester and it looked rather neat.

Chichester of course is known for its ancient cross in the town centre.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM

"<i>Chichester of course is known for its ancient cross in the town centre.</i>"

- - - yep, wikipedia is your friend - - -
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM

No janis i have been to Chichester and seen the cross - have you? Lose the attitude IMO!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Chichester of course is known for its ancient cross in the town centre."

- - - yep, wikipedia is your friend - - ->

ah yet another slandering remark about me from the same source - janis Q for you why do you keep making malicious remarks about my integrity - time and time you have accused me of plagiarism for example and 'only cutting and pasting' - much like you do now

Well i have been to practically every place in Britain on any tourists radar, including Chichester and i have, as a former professional travel writer - quite successful for years - written and researched detailed artciles on dozens and dozens of British tourist places. I indeed know more about Britain and have been to more British tourist sights than you ever will - i am dead sure of that. Indeed i have been to Chichester - i did not write an article on it because it is not worthy of that much attention but i did incorporate it into an article i wrote on nearby Arundel Castle, one of the most imposing in all of England IMO. So though it's like a gnat on my rear i will ask you to refrain from making your unfounded accusations in the future. I know more about Britain from a foreign tourist standpoint than you EVER will.

Capiche?

Cheers
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 03:53 PM

tomhughes;

Have a look on www.harwich.co.uk for train times/travel etc.

Sandy
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank all of you that took time to give me some valueable travel information getting from Heathrow to Harwich.We Americans write our dates as such:
August 9, 2010 -- the month first followed by day, and then the year. You write with the day followed by month & year.

Are you aware if there is a central location for passengers to meet at Heathrow that want to take a 6 passenger taxi to Harwich? At this time we have not met up with anyone.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM

tomhughes: I'll ask again -- if you land at LHR on the 9th and your cruise doesn't sail until the 11th, are you sure you want to travel directly to the port?

Instead of 1.5 or 2 days to kill in Harwich - you could spend that time in London.

"<i>Are you aware if there is a central location for passengers to meet at Heathrow that want to take a 6 passenger taxi to Harwich?</i>"

I honestly can't imagine you'll find many fellow passengers wanting to arrive in Harwich that far ahead of the cruise.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 07:57 PM

You cold take the train to Chichester, then to Cirencester before arriving in Colchester to spend the night before going to Harwich.

Cirencester, of course, has the Church of St. John the Baptist where the Boleyn Cup, a gift cup made for Anne Boleyn, is housed.

(Tom, this has nothing to do with your question.)
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

We have been to London before and 1/2 - 2 days would not give us enough time to see more of London. We wanted to get out and see the small towns -not the hustle and bustle of the large city. Can you give some suggestions of a near town to Harwich that we may enjoy. (If a near by town we would need to take a taxi back to Harwich). Harwich apparently does not have alot to offer for a tourist. Will we take another train if not staying in Harwich? Appreciate all your input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -