Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Heathrow to Covent Garden--suggestions needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/heathrow-to-covent-garden-suggestions-needed-124865/)

michele May 19th, 2001 06:24 AM

Heathrow to Covent Garden--suggestions needed

What is the fastest way to get from Heathrow to Covent garden? Is the Heathrow Express a good option even thought it leaves you off at Paddington? Is there a more convenient route? Is a taxi considerably more expensive than the Heathrow Express for two peope? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance. <BR>

Mary May 19th, 2001 08:39 AM

If youc an afford it take a taxi.After a long flight a taxi is the least stressful way of getting there and taxi drivers in London are an institution. For two of you it would cost about $50.00. There is a tube line, (Picadilly I think) and I can't remember if Covent Garden is on the Picadilly line,:(, but if not you'll need to change. Consider the time of day of your arrival. Covent Garden is a very busy place and rush hour in London on the tube can be overwhelming for first time visitors who are tired and carrying luggage.

vanne May 19th, 2001 08:48 AM

The Heathrow Express is probably the quickest option (15 minutes from Heathrow). There are helpful people in the information booth who will tell you how to get to covent Garden from there. It's not far, but the previous poster is right that if you have a lot of baggage the Tube is stressful. Maybe you could take a taxi from Paddington, but I don't know the fare to covent Garden.

John May 19th, 2001 08:51 AM

michele: <BR>Do yourself a favor. Take the taxi. <BR>John

Melissa May 19th, 2001 10:10 AM

If your arrival (at Covent Garden) is about rush hour time, best to take a shuttle or taxi. My first time there, we arrived via tube at Covent Garden, and it was really hard (and scary!) to deal with luggage while being pushed along with the throngs of people getting in and out of the station! <BR> <BR>Maybe you can take the Heathrow Express and then take a taxi from Paddington, if you have luggage?

Ben Haines May 19th, 2001 10:19 AM

Taxis are a good deal slower than the Heathrow Express, so like others I suggest you take that train to Paddington, and a taxi on to Covent Garden. If you were short-funded you'd take the Piccadilly line direct from Heathrow to Convent Garden tube station, but then you'd have stairs and escalators, with luggage -- not nice. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Lori May 19th, 2001 12:59 PM

We opt for comfort and convenience and use the services of a driver pick up service whenever we are in London. They pick you up as you exit immigration (holding a sign with your name on it) and take you door to door..no fuss..no hassle (and no hauling luggage on an off trains). The charges are flat fees (unlike a taxi with a meter). By the time two of you take the Heathrow Express into Paddington and then a taxi you will have spent more than a driver service. Check out www.london-transfers.com, Ray Skinner is the owner and a lovely person as well. He recently drove us back out to Heathrow (34 pounds) and one of his drivers picked us up when we came in (35 pounds) plus tip. It's well worth the money for the convenience of it all.