Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Heathrow- Taxi costs (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/heathrow-taxi-costs-481699/)

Ralstonlan Oct 21st, 2004 09:15 AM

Heathrow- Taxi costs

I've been trying to find info on approximate prices from Heathrow to our hotel in South Kensington, but to no avail. We are arriving at 6:30 AM on a Saturday morning with a ten year old, after an overnight flight, and I figured the easiest thing to do was grab a taxi. A friend recently said it may cost as much as 80 pounds.My question is whether or not an alternate mode(express and tube) would be worth the trouble to save the money, and how much trouble it really is. My husband can be a bit whiny in situations like this! Any help would be appreciated.

Grasshopper Oct 21st, 2004 09:19 AM

Even easier, book a car service. I booked mine through www.londontown.com for 44 pounds. They wait for you at arrivals, and even he even toted my luggage.

MFNYC Oct 21st, 2004 09:44 AM

I agree, go for a car service. They generally run less than a tax. We used justairports.com and I think the roundtrip hearthrow to So. Kens. fare was (if i remeber correctly) 58GBP cash (credit card is slightly more). They arrived exactly as scheduled with a small minivan type vehicle (there were 4 of us).

WillTravel Oct 21st, 2004 09:45 AM

If you have a whiny husband, it may be best to get a car service. But if you have packed lightly, the tube would be easy and quick to South Kensington, at least for most hotels in that area. You'd get on the tube at Heathrow, remain seated for about 35 minutes, exit at Gloucester Road stop most likely, and then walk to your hotel.

Given that you would almost certainly use the tube later that day anyway, there is only a very minor additional cost with the tube from Heathrow if you get a TravelCard.

I'd definitely want to save 40 pounds by doing this, but everyone has different priorities.

MFNYC Oct 21st, 2004 09:50 AM

I just checked my notes, the roundtrip service was 53GBP, and we requested an 'Estate' vehicle.

Ralstonlan Oct 21st, 2004 09:53 AM

Thanks for the quick responses. Car service it is.

julie_Colorado Oct 21st, 2004 09:55 AM

Completely agree with Willtravel. We always take the tube to London from Heathrow. It's fine. Last time I went with my daughter, niece, and me. They have some kind of really cheap family deal - it was perhaps 3 pounds total.

cymbeline Oct 21st, 2004 10:04 AM

Ralstonlan, I thnk you got your question answered. Remember also the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station and then a Taxi from there to South Ken. www.raileurope.com (under British products will show price of Heathrow Express.) I bet the car services are about the same price and easier, though.

Now my question!

WillTravel, the time I went, I just paid the tube fare into London and then used my more limited zone pass during my trip. Are you saying you can show your central zone pass and then just pay an additional charge that is added on top of the central zone pass?

Ralstonlan, I don't find the tube a problem be be aware once you get into central London you will jammed packed most likely and it will be a tight squeeze with your luggage. (No big deal to me, but some might not like it.)
Also, check out your hotel's tube station to see if there are stairs you need to lug luggage up (Correct me please, but I think there are at South Ken, though they are not big stairs.)

Also, you could take the Healthrow Express (look up price on www.raileurope.com - I don't remember.) to Paddington Station and just hail your taxi from there to Kensington,, which might be cheaper than the car service

cymbeline Oct 21st, 2004 10:06 AM

Whoops! Duh. Scratch those last two paragraphs.