Heathrow-London, tube, neighborhoods

Jan 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Heathrow-London, tube, neighborhoods

Hello again - I had posted about my being in London the week of the Royal wedding. Thanks in advance to all who replied. I've done some research here and elsewhere and was able to get a room Thurs., April 28, at the Darlington Hyde Park. It's on Sussex Gardens..(?)

I was also intrigued by a more expensive place in the Earl's Court area.

But - I should have been more detailed about my desires. I really, for this short trip (one night, leaving at 6 p.m. Friday) I am not so much interested in all the "sights." As in museums, monuments, etc. Gardens, maybe, but mostly I'd like to walk around, poke around unique shops, soak in the London life, for want of a better term. On a longer stay I of course will want to see the important sites in London. Knowing this,
1. do you have other thoughts on where I might situate myself? (given availability.)
2. when should I arrive at Heathrow for least congestion - 8:25 a.m., 11:15 a.m., or 6:25 a.m. - I have those options as flight isn't booked yet.
3. Is it easy to take the tube from Heathrow and perhaps opt for the Xpress coming back? This depends on where I'm staying, of course, but if I were to go with Earl's Court - that line easily connects to the airport both ways, yes?
4. Are Londoners going to be a tad more grumpy with all the stuff going on in the city? ;-)
Maybe I should plan my stay for post-Africa, but by then I will be pretty tired and ready to head on back to the states, I reckon.

Thanks in advance to all the Londoners and other experts out there!
Jan 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM

OK -- I'm not a huge fan of Earl's Court -- but it would be my preference over Paddington/Sussex gardens. You don't want anything to do w/ the Heathrow Express -- unless maybe you are made of £££. There is a less expensive Paddington train -- but it still only gets you to Paddington. And getting there from the airport by tube is a bear.

Earl's Court is very well connected to LHR and to other neighborhoods to walk around.

Don't worry about arrival time -- except that you may have a bit longer in immigration queues early in the AM because so many long haul flights land then. But I'd still book an early flight to maximize my short time in the city. Arriving at 0625 would have you reaching central London around 9AM. Arriving at 1115 -- well it would be at least 1 PM.
Jan 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Janis! Why don't you like the Paddington/Sussex gardens? - Or Earl's Court, for that matter?

Getting where from the airport by tube is a bear? Paddington?
Jan 24th, 2011, 04:16 PM

>>Getting where from the airport by tube is a bear? Paddington?<<

Sussex Gardens specifically - but Paddington in general.

Sussex Gdns requires either one or two line changes plus a walk. Earls Court is direct w/o a tube change.

>>Why don't you like the Paddington/Sussex gardens? - Or Earl's Court, for that matter? <<

neither neighborhood is close to much -- except Sussex Gardens is close to Hyde Park. But other than that -- they are pretty far from anyplace you'd want to explore.

For easiest access to LHR and interesting bits -- look at hotels anywhere along the Piccadilly tube line. Covent Garden, Holborn and Russell Sq are all in areas w/ interesting things to see, but others are good too.
Jan 24th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Will do. Thanks once again!
Jan 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Janis - I see what you mean after looking at the tube map - will have to go with Earl's Court. Problem is that all the hotels are booked up because of the wedding, I'd imagine... so the nicer, reasonably priced places are gone.
Jan 24th, 2011, 10:23 PM

Earls Court has the big advantages of being on a direct Tube line from LHR and being on a direct Tube Line to at least 90% of what you are likely to want to see in London.

South Kensington is similar except that you can walk to some f the major sites
Jan 24th, 2011, 11:38 PM
hsv

For your purposed of just strolling around, have a few reasonably interesting shops around, a park in close proximity and even a few museums, I would not recommend to go all the way from LHR to Holborn, the mainly touristy Covent Garden or Russel Square, but rather look into South Kensington.

South Kensington is a direct approx. 40 min ride on the Piccadilly Line from LHR (saves you about 10 min each way vs. Holborn/Covent Garden). It offers quick access to pleasant shopping and nice restaurants around Kings Road, Fulham Road and (Old) Brompton Road. The Saatchi Gallery, V&A, Natural History and Science Museum are all there. For park access you are in between Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens and even Battersea Park on the other side of the river. Chelsea has pleasant to walk around and slightly upscale streets and even a few good pubs.
Jan 25th, 2011, 05:02 AM

Don't overlook the buses, by the way, once you've made it in from Heathrow - from the upper deck you can do some sightseeing while you're getting about:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-route-map.jpg
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:22 AM

There is a less expensive Paddington train -- but it still only gets you to Paddington. And getting there from the airport by tube is a bear.

Paddington . . . bear.

LOL.

Based on your current situation, I'd second the South Kens suggestion.

For future travels, South Bank, South Kens, Holborn, Bloomsbury, Mayfair (if you have the dough) are good places to stay.

And Heathrow is simply the busiest international airport in Europe (it has fallen to #4 in the world) so timing the arrival is a crapshoot.
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

BigRuss... Paddington Bear- I caught that, too!

Thanks everyone for your input. I will remember it for the next time. After agonizing, I've decided to skip the overnight in London this time around. Too much hullaballoo and rooms even more pricey with the royal wedding....