Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Heathrow immigration - hurry up and wait (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/heathrow-immigration-hurry-up-and-wait-932900/)

Gardyloo Apr 26th, 2012 06:30 AM

Heathrow immigration - hurry up and wait

I've had the joy :-< of passing through Heathrow a few times in the past couple of months, and wanted to mention that ongoing staffing issues with the UK Border Agency have led to horrendous queues for immigration/passport control at LHR. I've gone through both Terminal 3 and Terminal 5 on arrivals, and each time it's taken well over an hour to get to the UKBA inspectors.

I've been going through the non-EU passport holders' lines, but looking over at the EU lines it's been about the same. It's gotten bad enough that the head of BA is speaking out, as have numerous others. http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/t...m-7681626.html

It augurs poorly for the immense crowds expected to visit Britain for the Olympics, now less than 100 days in the future. On one of my passes last week I stood in line a couple of people back from a person who I gathered works for the IOC, on her way to a meeting with her London Organiz/sing Committee counterparts. She was phoning from the queue saying she was going to miss her meeting with them. I couldn't hear the other side of the conversation (my eavesdropping skills are, sadly, lacking) but it was clear that notes were being taken and the outrage was general. I confess I experienced a moment of <i>Schadenfreude,</i> but not enough to make my feet hurt less.

So a note to travelers to Heathrow for the next few weeks: budget extra time for immigration, and by all means <i>use the loo before you join the queue.</i> 'Nuff said.

Weekender Apr 26th, 2012 06:36 AM

I sailed through last month. Early morning arrival at Terminal 1.

flanneruk Apr 26th, 2012 07:09 AM

It's not good.

But, as you say, it DOES mean the IOC staff are getting a taste of what they insisted should be imposed on the people of London. So there's always a silver lining.

And, since visitor numbers during Summer Olympic always fall, the hysteria Olympophiles are whipping up about "massive Olympic crowds (expected by whom,pray? No-one who's looked at the damage summer Olympics do to real, paying their own bills, tourism) is completely spurious.

It's all the result of the Border Agency importing bad old US knowhow. Never a good idea.

hetismij2 Apr 26th, 2012 07:09 AM

I've been through American airports where it has taken two hours to reach a grumpy guy who barks questions at me regarding the nature of my visit, takes my photo and fingerprints and generally fails to make me welcome in the US.
But you US passport holders don't notice that.

It doesn't stop me visiting the US though.

Immigration into many countries is a pain, and involves long queues. One reason I don't worry about checking bags - by the time I'm through immigration my bags are waiting for me for sure.

yorkshire Apr 26th, 2012 07:25 AM

It was my understanding it had something to do with budget cuts in UK. I have heard similar stories of US govt employees visiting on official business being in line for hours. Airports in major cities have a host of problems of course, but if I have to pass through Heathrow anytime soon I'll definitely make sure I have several hours to do so.

Grassshopper Apr 26th, 2012 07:27 AM

In my experience, Heathrow and Hong Kong are the worst! Hong Kong is always 45 minutes and Heathrow up to an hour.

Gardyloo Apr 26th, 2012 07:30 AM

I am certainly not defending USICE in this, believe me. But saying the UKBA issues have something to do with "bad old US knowhow" is, as we say, baloney.

I've also gone through Schengen borders on several occasions in the past few weeks, and never once had to wait longer than five minutes. Maybe something for the UK to consider?

immimi Apr 26th, 2012 08:38 AM

After reading this I am SO glad I changed our flight to Milan.
In their wisdom, BA had given us a 120 min. window to get from
Term. 5 to 3...yeah, right!

At the best of times, Heathrow is a long drawn out procedure
esp. after a 10 hour flt from the West Coast. Ah well....

immimi Apr 26th, 2012 08:39 AM

...and thanks for this info, Gardyloo...

originalkk Apr 27th, 2012 05:59 AM

As a British citizen, It took me 2 hours to get to the agent at Houston a few months ago, 1.5 hours at Minneapolis a year ago, and at least an hour at Miami on several occasions. So not just a UK issue.

Having said that, the service is appalling, much like the rest of Heathrow.

PatrickLondon Apr 27th, 2012 06:35 AM

>>Having said that, the service is appalling<<

Checking your passport, etc., isn't exactly a service to you, but to us, the taxpayers and citizens................