Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Heathrow express and tube or tube to Belgravia?

Mar 9th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Can't decide which to do. Should we take train with discount and then the tube from Paddington to Belgravia near Victoria Station or tube straight from Heathrow? I am really more intersted in doing the easiest since we will be coming in at 11:00 from the westcoast of the US. Really don't want to pay for a taxi!
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:01 PM

From LHR to Victoria I would 1) take the tube (changing at Hammersmith) or 2) a car service like justairports. The tube is cheaper and not that difficult, the car service is more expensive but is door-to-door.

I would NOT do the Heathrow Express plus cab or tube, nor a taxi all the way.
Mar 9th, 2007, 10:36 PM

I am going to vote with the opposite advice, of taking the heathrow express, then a cab. Heathrow express is only 15 minutes to paddington. The train is very easy to find within heahtrow, and comfortable after a long journey. I dont know if you have to deal with steps up and down the platform at hammersmith, but I have done this journey a bunch and find this the least stressful way.
Mar 9th, 2007, 11:08 PM

Two people will pay pretty much the same for the HEX/cab to Belgravia as for a justairports car.
Mar 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM

....well Heathrow Express I believe is £14 add on £10 to £15 for taxi from Paddinton plus whatever time it takes...

Tube to Victoria with an across the platform change at Hammarsmith (no steps whatsoever) can be as little as £1 depending on whatever other combinations of transportation you will be using during your stay in London....at most it will be £4...I know which way I would go.
Mar 10th, 2007, 12:29 AM

Hey, get this in perspective. You have just spent hundreds of dollars for the 2 of you to fly from the US and you will be tired and will have to pay for Heathrow Express/ Taxi/ Tube depending on which way you come - all this will amount to in the region of up to £50 if you choosr HRE and Taxi.

For about £10 more you can Taxi or Private transfer direct to your accommodation with no changing and it will be haasle free- greeted on arrival and delivered to your address within the hour. For me it is a no brainer .

http://www.adlg.co.uk/london_search_result.php this is £45
Mar 10th, 2007, 12:37 AM

this link gives tarrifs
http://www.adlg.co.uk/tariff.htm
Mar 10th, 2007, 05:34 AM

"taking the heathrow express, then a cab. Heathrow express is only 15 minutes to paddington. The train is very easy to find within heahtrow, and comfortable after a long journey. I dont know if you have to deal with steps up and down the platform at hammersmith"

The HEX may be easy to find but it is a quite long walk from the terminals. Whereas a car service driver meets you right at arrivals w/ a sign w/ your name on it and takes your luggage to the car. 1 point for the car service.

HEX 15 mins to Paddington, plus 10 mins walk to the platform, plus 5 - 15 mins wait for the next train, plus wait for a taxi at Paddington plus cost of the taxi. Time ends up about the same or a bit faster for the Hex but cheaper for the car service for two or more traveling together.

There are no steps/stairs/changing platforms at Hammersmith (that is WHY I recommended it). One simply gets of the tube train at H'smith, walks a few feet across to the other side of the platform and gets on another train directly to Victoria.
Mar 10th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Add me to the list that thinks a private car service is the best situation for you.
I agree with janis about adding up all the times involved with getting to the express, waiting for the next train, and waiting for a taxi adding up to as much or more time as the car service direct.

And while I agree with flyBob as well, the math is a bit high. He seems to be indicating a private transfer could run about 60 pounds. Well, it could if you use Ray Skinner or one of the very expensive ones, but it's closer to 25 pounds if you use Justairports or Swiss Cottage Cars.

The fact is that for most couples the Heathrow Express plus a taxi to your hotel will cost MORE than a car service and take just as long with more "hassles" and transfers. I just don't get it.
Mar 10th, 2007, 06:56 AM

Neopatrick - do you have a website address for Ray Skinner or Swiss Cottage Cars? Thanks!
Mar 10th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Oops - just googled Swiss Cottage Cars and found their website. Neopatrick - would you equally recommend this service from Gatwick to the Waterloo train station (specifically this Monday morning for my sister & I to catch our train to Paris having flown from DFW?)
Mar 10th, 2007, 07:19 AM

dorkforcemom: A car service doesn't make any sense from Gatwick. Those recommendations were for LHR. From Gatwick - especially on a Monday morning - driving in could be a nightmare. LGW is more than 30 miles from central London and it could easily take 1.5 to 2 hours to drive in.

Take the train in to London. Normally I would suggest a train to London Bridge and then on to Waterloo - but that is a commuter route and the cars could be totally packed and not fun w/ luggage.

Just take the Gatwick Express to Victoria and a cab from there to Waterloo International.
Mar 10th, 2007, 07:44 AM

I don't do Ray Skinner because it costs nearly double of JustAirports.com and Swiss Cottage Cars.

There is a website for Swiss Cottage Cars, but because it's geared for tourists the prices you will get are much higher than just calling and booking. Or at least it was the last time I checked. www.swisscottagecars.com

I call direct by using a cheap international number: total dialing from the US--
101-6868-011-44-207-431-2700

You need your flight number and information as well as exact address of where you are going and they will give you a quote.

And NO, I would not recommend a car service from Gatwick, but take the Gatwick Express to Victoria and then a taxi as janis suggests.
Mar 10th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Thanks Janis & Neopatrick! We'll follow your advice...your posts are so helpful...didn't I see something recently about Gatwick express tickets 2for1?
Mar 10th, 2007, 09:10 AM

found the website - bought the tickets 50% off!