Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Heathrow airport...Arrival at T3, Departure at T1... seeking assistance pls (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/heathrow-airport-arrival-at-t3-departure-at-t1-seeking-assistance-pls-428905/)

petite May 6th, 2004 08:15 AM

Heathrow airport...Arrival at T3, Departure at T1... seeking assistance pls

Hello,

We are flying into LHR via VirginAtlantic from Boston. Flight arrives at T3.
We will then connect from there (tickets bought separately) from LHR to VCE via BMI. Flight departs from T1...

1)What is the quickest way to get from T3 to T1?

2)I've heard that if both airlines codeshare, our luggage can be tagged all the way to Venice. Does anybody know if VS and BMI codeshare?
thx for any assistance on this.

petite

ron May 6th, 2004 08:59 AM

The instructions about how to change terminals is clearly explained on the heathrow website http://www.baa.com/main/airports/hea...ons_frame.html

I have only connected on a single ticket, so can't help with your 2nd question.

Gardyloo May 6th, 2004 09:12 AM

Codesharing is not the issue, it's whether the airlines have an interline baggage agreement. Most likely Virign and BMI do, so they ought to be able to tag your bags through. Make sure the checkin desk at Logan knows your final destination is VCE. Call Virgin (speak to a humanoid) to be sure.

Follow the directions at LHR for inter-terminal connections for transit pax. Basically you have no choice as to how this is done. We went through a T1/T4 transit this week and it was a serious pain, given our connection was only 90 min. It ought to be easier on a T3/T1 switch but I still think you'll need to go through hand-carry security again, which can be via longish lines.

My conclusion from our recent experiences with LHR (connections, T4 access to hotels via Hoppa Bus Hell, etc.) is that we will try henceforth to avoid that airport with all the strength the creator has given us. And now they're building T5! What a bloomin' nightmare.

Grasshopper May 6th, 2004 09:15 AM

Petite,

It's very easy really. I'm betting your luggage will be checked through. All you have to do is follow the signs for "connections". You won't leave the security zone at all but you'll go downstairs, board a bus that drives around the behind the scenes area and enter T1. There you'll go through a mini security and it will take you into the waiting area for where you'll watch monitors for your gate.

It sounds complicated, but it's really very easy. Amazingly, Heathrow is a pretty easy place to do a connection.

petite May 6th, 2004 09:58 AM

Thanks to all for the reply. Grasshopper, I shall be using the "connections" as my guide - you made me calm down!
We are a family of 5 w/ a 3yr old and a grandma who is 'not-so-fit' travelling with us so this poses a challenge to us for this trip.
Thanks for the reassurance!

I will call Logan Airport/VS to inquire about their baggage agreement w/ BMI.

Singletail May 6th, 2004 10:04 AM

If there is a luaggage agreement make CERTAIN you show the check-in agent in London BOTH tickets (or e-ticket receipts if that is what you are using) to ensure that your luggage is checked through which will obviously be apparent on your claim checks.
If there is a luggage agreement and the agent refuses to check the bags through immediately ask to speak to a supervisor (doubt you'll need to) because the last thing you want to do is wait around at LHR for your luggage to come off the aircraft.
Have a great trip.

flanneruk May 6th, 2004 10:27 AM

The issue is neither codesharing (they don't) nor interline agreements (they do), but your two tickets.

Sadly, many airlines now won't through-check bags on two tickets. Try to be as forceful as possible, but reconcile yourself to the possibility you won't get through checked.

If your bags are through checked, go to Flight Connections as instructed above. Everyone connecting at LHR has to go through security again. Heathrow, quite rightly, trusts NO other airport to do security properly.

If they're not checked through, you have to go through immigration, collect your bags, and then make your way with them to T1 to check with bmi.

Generally, bags will arrive as you do: the problem is the immigration queue, if you don't have an EU passport. To get to T1, if you've come through Immigration, the easiest thing is to put your bags on the free trolleys and walk through the underground passage. About 7 mins for adults who don't walk as fast as most Brits.

pkdof May 17th, 2004 10:17 AM

After reading this string, I emailed Virgin Atlantic to ask if we could check our bags through to Edinburgh (on BA). Received reply today saying yes, just be sure to show confirmed ticket to Virgin at check-in. This has relieved my anxiety about close connection time (2 hours) at Heathrow.