Reload this Page >

Heathrow 5 hr Layover--leave airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 01:07 PM
CB

We have a 5 hour layover from San Francisco to Rome at Heathrow. It will be a Saturday afternoon (noon to 5:00 pm)--assuming flights are on time--can we see anything of England while we're there? <BR>(I have done a search on this site; however, everything is pretty dated.) I understand Winsor is nearby..any ideas? <BR>I assume our luggage will be transferred to our next flight (is that correct?? we're flying British Airways if that matters.) <BR>Thanks, in advance, for any info or comments.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 01:20 PM
jane

I posted regarding our similar situation about a year ago (maybe the dated posts that you're referring to). Although we received advice to take a quick trip to Windsor castle and some other suggestions, in the end we ended up staying at the airport. By the time we got off the plane and through the airport it just didn't seem worth it to risk leaving for such a short time. We had a bite of lunch, looked in the shops and people watched and it went by fairly quickly.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 01:23 PM
elvira

Is the five hour layover taking into consideration debarking, customs, immigration and the 1+ hour you need to be at check in before your flight to Rome? If not, you're down to 3 hours, and that changes things.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 02:00 PM
larry

You can leave your luggage at the airport or check it through. <BR>A sameday roundtrip on the high speed train is about 12 pounds (11 pounds one way, the sameday round trip is a bargain). It takes about 20 minutes to downtown. Windsor might be a stretch but you can see Parliament Hill, Winchester Cathedral, Big Ben, walk around Convent gardens area or go to Hyde Park and make it back with plenty of time to spare. I just did it on a layover to Venice andit was just fine.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 02:07 PM
CB

Thanks for the replies thus far. <BR> <BR>To clarify--our layover is 5 hours total (not including time to debark, etc.) Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 12:40 and leave at 17:40.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 02:22 PM
ger

CB: <BR>LAND: 12:40 <BR>TAKE-OFF: 17:40 <BR> <BR>Estimate: <BR>30 min delay in landing: 1310 <BR>One hour min for disembarking and passport control (assuming an non-EU passport): 1410 <BR>Assuming you have already been checked-in for flight to Rome, you have to be at the airport again an hour before the flight to be comfortable: 1640 <BR> <BR>Not enough time, I think, to explore. There are great shops in the EU departure lounge and bring a good book. <BR> <BR>Regards Ger

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 02:34 PM
kamq

It sounds so tempting but I would stay put at the airport, especially if you don't know London and don't know how the tube works. There are some really good shops at Heathrow, including Harrods and an excellent book store. I'd hate to miss my connection to hurry by Big Ben and Westminster. Perhaps on the return you could schedule a stop in London? BTW, if you live in the Bay area, you are familiar with the chaos of SFO's International terminal (the multi million dollar wonder that solves no problems at all!) Be sure to get to SFO well ahead and expect delays on leaving, although they can usually make it up on a long international flight. Heathrow is very good people watching!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 02:37 PM
tom

larry may think he saw Winchester Cathedral -- but since that is 40 miles southwest of LHR -- not likely. And Parliament Hill is not in Central London so he didn't see that either. Perhaps it was Wesminster Abbey. But his whole story sounds implausible. <BR> <BR>The paddington express is fast - but then you have to wait in a long queue for a taxi or schlep on to the tube, negotiate an unfamilair underground system, etc. And some airlines require a 2 hour check in.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Katherine

I'd go for it. Take Heathrow Express. You can also check in for your flight at Paddington Station (check before you leave the Paddington when you arrive there) Then I would take a cab rather than the underground to wherever (choose ONE place) that you'd like to go. We have done this run into Paris/London thing a couple of times and really enjoyed it.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 03:04 PM
anne

Get off the plane, get through customs & re-check in for your flight (get boarding pass) and then decide if you've got time. The paddington express is the only way to go, as the tubes have been unusually unreliable in in London this year. Get a guidebook and decide if there's anything you want to see close to Paddington station (or a few tube stops away). If not, there's enough to do to keep you awake in Heathrow. Enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Katherine

In case my previous post wasn't really clear.........I would take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, take a cab from Paddington to the place you'd like to see, grab a bite, visit a site, whatever you want to do, then take the cab back to Paddington, check in for your flight at Paddington (so you get a boarding pass, save inline time there) and then hop on the Heathrow Express back. Be sure to get off at the right terminal (first stop for terminal 1-3 second stop for terminal 4). A cab ride in London is such a great way to see the sights. On the underground all you see is people and tunnels.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Lori

Don't even think about it. Seriously. <BR>You do not have enough time despite what some people may say. You will basically have about 3 hours, I would never risk missing a flight under those circumstances. If you feel you "must" leave the terminal (you will be in Term. 4) take the covered walkway over to the Hilton Hotel and have something to eat. It's a 6 minute walk. Term 4 also has lots of places to shop (Harrod's included). I know it is tempting to try and "see" something, but in my opinion all you would really see is the inside of the train going in and out of London and if anything went wrong you miss your flight. Incidentally, you may have a hassle getting on to your flight to Rome depending if BA has an actual gate. We were there in April and our flight to Paris was "out in the south forty" someplace and we had to take a BA bus to the plane. Likewise returning to LA from Heathrow, we were bused out to the 747. They only have so many gates and some planes have to park way out and passengers are bused (Heathrow is very overcrowded). This all takes time!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 03:30 PM
janis

I totally agree with Lori - you'd be crazy to do it. Just because some folks have been able to without a disaster doesn't mean anything. Transport and traffic in and around both LHR and London is terribly congested. You will be there in the middle of the day. What if the circle or district line has an interruption (which happens all the time). Even if you aren't taking the tube this will affect you since it puts more pressure on the cabs. <BR> <BR>If 150,000 people who normally taking a certain line all of a sudden have to take cabs and buses - well it is not a pretty sight. <BR> <BR>There is plenty to occupy you at LHR for 3 hours (the most actual free time you will have). Harrods, Burberrys, Scotch House, good (yes) pubs and restaurants, plane/people watching, etc. <BR> <BR>And if you belong to one of the airline executive lounge programs - then you can get a massage, surf the web, have complimentary drinks. <BR> <BR>If you miss the flight and have a non-refundable ticket you will be out of luck.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 03:39 PM
s.fowler

In a word -- "don't" -- it's tempting I know -- but also factor in your jetlag and the delights of Heathrow will do just fine.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:07 PM
seamus

No. Stay at Heathrow and don't risk not making your flight to Rome.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Jackie

I just flew from Ireland to Boston via Heathrow on British Airways. Their computers were down and we were not able to check luggage directly. Also, we had a 3 hour lay-over with very little spare time. I would not advise leaving

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Mel

I don't have to tell you not to leave LHR--everyone who has is absolutely right! I do want to add one thing: Getting from the concourse (after check-in) to the boarding area can sometimes (usually) be a 15 minute walk itself! British Airways in particular has an extremely long walkway AND on several occasions I've checked the monitors an hour before boarding time and seen the boarding flashing for my flight. Yes, of course you get down there and sit on the plane, but it panics you nevertheless. Killing time in the airport will be NO problem--take advantage of the duty-free shops. Harrods in particular has several.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:31 PM
larry

Sorry I wrote Winchester, I did mean Westminster!!Slip of the keyboard. Upon reflection I agree that an excursion is somewhat risky and it is always wise to play it safe when travelling. However, we did take the risk in early July, spent a few hours hiking around (and taking some cab rides) We did get to see Parliament hill, Westminster (got it right this time) and came back safely and on time. Traffic may have been lighter than the norm. Anyway, perhaps it is better to be cautious as the other respondents wrote and save a trip to London for another time.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Heidi

I did it when I had a huge layover from Prague to Newark, but it was a HUGE layover and I knew London well (my husband lived there all his life). I would recommend against it. We had to claim our luggage (even though it was checked through) and go through customs. Then we had to find somewhere in Heathrow that would hold our luggage--for a pretty hefty fee. We took the tube into town, grabbed lunch, saw the outsides of Big Ben and Westminster Abbey, and then headed back to the airport. It really wasn't worth it. <BR> <BR>Heathrow is like a city unto itself. All of the terminals have tons of shops and restaurants. Don't risk missing your connection.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Heidi

I forgot to mention--if you want to have a little "taste" of London, make sure to go to Harry Ramsden's fish and chips shop (it's located on the top level in one of the terminals, but I can't remember which one--maybe Terminal One? Someone in the forum will probably know). My husband and I make a point to travel via Heathrow so we can get our fix of good fish & chips before we head home for the states!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -