Reload this Page >

Headquarters for touring Christmas markets-flying into Frankfurt

Notices

Old Nov 13th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be one or two good towns that I can stay in and then travel by train to the different christmas markets?I am flying into Frankfurt and am thinking about visiting Wurzburg,Bamberg,Nurnberg, possibly Rothenberg and Regensburg. Only in country a week and will travel by train.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 09:44 PM

Dates? Many of the lovely, smaller towns only have their markets on limited days.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

Dec 2-9
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 02:25 AM

Würzburg is probably the most effective base for train travel to the other towns mentioned. You could probably do Nuremberg and Regensburg in a single day.

A Bayern Ticket covers all your daytrips from Würzburg; the Bayern Ticket Single is 20 Euros, 28 for a group of up to 5 on the regular Bayern Ticket:

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/DEU/en/pri...r-ticket.shtml
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 05:20 AM

We are spending Advent season in this area this year and have the last two years as well. We really enjoy the combination of Christmas Markets and tourism.

We are spending 3 nights in Würzburg as it is our favorite town. We enjoy the fortress (Marienberg Festung) and the Residenz in town. The market is moderate sized but appealing to us. We feel most at home in Würzburg.

We are also spending 2 nights in Rothenburg. This is a good (less crowded) season for Rothenburg. It is a nice place to set the mood for us. Many of the shops give over to Christmas items, so there is a nice selection even with the small Christmas Market.

We will be visiting Regensburg for 2 nights. We have visited the city before but never at this season. The town has easily filled two days for us. It has 3 Christmas Markets, one in the Thurn and Taxis Palace. I especially like Regensburg Gothic cathedral. Search out the Porta Praetoria, a Roman Ruin incorporated into later construction.

We will spend one night in Nürnberg. We lived there for 18 months, including two advent seasons. The town is very atmospheric, especially 3 churches built in the 14th & 15th century. It's market is one of the largest and most developed.

We spent two days in Bamberg two years ago at advent season. The Christmas Market was not appealing compared to the others but the town was wonderful.

We have found that markets are most attractive at night. We sight-see during the day. Usually, it takes us a full day or two to cover the towns that you mentioned. I would see fewer towns than mentioned in a week. Day trips would not work for us. As the markets occupy us until late in the evening, I would prefer a late evening glass of wine over a late evening train ride back to a central point. However, I understand that everybody's travel style is different.

It is a great time to visit Germany.

Regards, Gary
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Gary, It sounds like you know your way around these towns. Do you have any hotel recommendations in the towns that you will be travelling to? We will probably not do all the towns because as you said- way too much for a week- Just trying to keep my options open until I book the hotels.(which I feel I must do during this time of year- right?) I feel that we definitely need to go to Nurnburg in case we only do this trip once(we are coming from California)and thought of Wurzburg as a possible base town. I will take into account your comment about staying overnight and not taking a late train back to town(we were trying to avoid a hotel every night) Thanks, Marilyn
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 12:45 PM

I tend to be like you, Marilyn, when it comes to staying put and packing/unpacking/checking in. With the sun setting before 5 pm at that time of year, 2 or 3 hours of night-time market browsing and teeth chattering is enough for me. I wouldn't hesitate to overnight in Würzburg and daytrip to Nuremberg; a 20:40 RE train returns non-stop to Würzburg, arriving 21:54. With the Bayern Ticket, the cost is the same whether you go one-way or round-trip.

I last stayed at a cheapie joint half a mile from the train station called the Hotel Jägerruh - not recommended. I've also patronized the Hotel Barbarossa, a Rick Steves pick, which was adequate and reasonably priced but could be a bit of a walk to the station for some:

http://www.hotel-barbarossa-wuerzburg.de/info_en.htm

I've received good reports from two parties who stayed just across the street from the station at the Hotel Regina:

http://www.hotel-regina-wuerzburg.de...sch_index.html
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 05:14 PM

We also stayed in the Hotel Barbarossa in Würzburg and are returning there this December. Hotel St. Josef was bit more in price but also a little roomier. St. Josef had a very good breakfast. We like the restaurant there, wherever we stay.

http://www.hotel-st-josef.de/

We like the Goldener Greifen in Rothenburg, both for rooms and meals. They tend to fill up early for their excellent location near the main square.

http://www.gasthof-greifen-rothenburg.de/

In Regensburg we are staying in the Hotel Weidenhof for the second time, about 3 blocks from the train station and in the pedestrian zone.

http://www.hotel-weidenhof.de/

Hotels in Nürnberg fill up quickly at this time of year. We have stayed at the "Nürnberg City" Ibis. It is a business hotel and very competent but its prices keep rising. We are staying at the Motel One Bahnhof Straße for the first time this year.

In Bamberg we stayed at Hotel Molitor. It is very close to the city center in an interesting old neighborhood. It might be worth a cab from the train station.

http://www.altstadthotel-molitor.de/

Regards, Gary
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Russ and Gary

Thanks for your tips on hotels- I am going to book something tonight as I know it is getting very late.

Marilyn