Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Heading to Paris/London - what am I forgetting?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 07:11 AM
Louis

I have the tickets, transfers, hotels, meals all lined up. Melatonin, DC converter, maps, guidebooks, and itinerary are in the bags. Will is updated, mail is being brought in. What else?

Old May 1st, 2001, 07:14 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I hope that's an AC, not DC converter. Don't forget your passport and make sure you have cash in the account that your ATM is tied to.

Old May 1st, 2001, 07:28 AM
Sue

That's a good one, Margaret. Guess who forgot to do it and then couldn't figure out why her ATM card didn't work! Thank goodness for phone transfers. <BR> <BR>Compass, balloons to help dry clothes? (Those are two new ones I've picked up here.) Ziplock bags? Prescriptions? Copies of passports and tickets in suitcase?

Old May 1st, 2001, 07:35 AM
Jody

Copies of your credit card numbers and the contact phone numbers if they are lost or stolen, don't forget the newspapers!

Old May 1st, 2001, 07:41 AM
Meg

And if you have any critters you have instructions for your housesitter. You might want to write yourself a note as to where you placed your car & house keys. I always put mine somewhere other than my purse to save on weight then have to hunt when I get back home. Did you leave a copy of your itinerary with a trusted friend or family?

Old May 1st, 2001, 07:41 AM
AC

Louis: <BR>Shout wipes (for spills on your clean white shirt) <BR>Liquid hand cleanser <BR>travel alarm clock <BR>small flashlight <BR>Immondium <BR>Aspirin <BR>And have a great time!

Old May 1st, 2001, 07:49 AM
frank

Photocopy of passport (or stash it on the net). <BR>It would do no harm to call your bank & warn them you intend to use ATMs in Europe. <BR>Some posters have said their card was stopped after the first withdrawal, some banks react to this as a security prob, but they didn't say which banks.Unusual, but seems to happen.

Old May 1st, 2001, 07:58 AM
AC

Louis: <BR>I forget to mention I always notify my CC companies in addition to ATM issuers like frank suggested. <BR>Had my Visa stopped in London and though I was able to notify them while I was there it made for some embarrassing and scary moments.

Meg

Louis, <BR> <BR>Frank has a very valid point. Call your credit card company too. On my last trip to Europe my friends card was put on hold when they saw the charges from Europe.

mikey

if you have eurail tickets, you have to confirm seats in advance...i have seen people learn it the hard way...also a two-prong adaptor is convenient for hairdryer or camcorder recharging... <BR> <BR>

Old May 1st, 2001, 08:37 AM
Kimerley

portable washing line for your undies.. <BR>foot balm for all the walking... <BR>enjoy your trip. rememeber anything you forget you can buy!

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:05 AM
elvira

Leave behind your fear of looking foolish, your need to be in control, and your fear of the unknown. <BR> <BR>The best thing you can wear is a smile. <BR> <BR>Be sure to bring your sense of humor, your sense of adventure, tolerance for the less-than-bright, a positive attitude and a huge willingness to adapt. <BR> <BR>Oh and a toothbrush.

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:08 AM
DSK

Something NOT to do: <BR>DO NOT stop your mail...I found this out last time we traveled: <BR>The stop list is on a clipboard in the main room of the post office in big red letters...an invite for a theif???!!! <BR>I try to have somone pick my mail up now, while I am gone.

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:10 AM
Jayelle

Take out the trash, water the plants, and throw out anything in the fridge that will spoil before you return home!

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:11 AM
DSK

I found out last time I traveled that you should NEVER stop your mail. Because, the "stop list" is on a clipboard in the middle of the main mail room on a bright red board...an invite to a theif???!!!

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:12 AM
DSK

Sorry for the double post

Old May 1st, 2001, 10:02 AM
Cindy

If you'll be using an ATM card, make sure you have a substantial daily withdrawal limit.

Old May 1st, 2001, 10:09 AM
s.fowler

We have 2 different ATM cards so we can alternate -- but Cindy's advice is good. Banks must vary. I made a point of telling mine to expect transactions from Europe a couple of trips ago and they couldn't have been less interested. I think my credit card and bank companies are rather used to the strange places we check in from! <BR> <BR>Don't forget a washcloth!