Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Heading to Italy for nearly a month, throw me some ideas!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the somewhat tech savvy and the discount travel guru around the home, I'll be planning out our trip to Italy. I (17), my mother, brother (15), and younger sister (11) are heading out on a trip to Rome from August 6th to Sept. 4th. Our flight is with AirBerlin with a stop in Germany from NY. We leave at night on the 6th and arrive at 12pm local time in Rome. We have already planned out a 4 night stay in Rome close to the Rome Termini station in a small B&B. On the 11th we leave Rome to Palermo via the train and once we get to Palermo, we will be staying till Sept 4th in a small quiet Sicilian town with our close relatives. During our time near Palermo, we would like to venture out and explore some of the Island and even some of Southern Italy. We aren't looking to spend big money but we can indulge here and there. We will be taking public transportation such as buses or trains, but have a car available on the weekends. Can anyone recommended some really nice beaches in Sicily? Any good places to visit as a family? Also is Palermo a "dangerous" city? Compared to like some US cities I guess. Also, as a 17 year old, what can I do by myself around Palermo or Sicily? What can I do nightlife wise in Sicily? Can I rent a moped or drive a car (I have a provisional license in the states)? I wanna have a good time and I am really interested in historical things like WWII sites etc. I can travel by myself on trains or buses with no problem.
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 09:04 PM

For good info on the beaches near where you're staying I would wait and rely on the local knowledge - your relatives, their friends, some youngsters you'll get to talk to, they'll know best.

Did you know that some of the best preserved and most beautifully situated Greek temple ruins are not in Greece but right there in Sicily? Especially the Valley of Temples near Agrigento. Check out the info at http://tinyurl.com/cm6noz and pull the locations up on a map.

There is a bus service from Palermo to Agrigento, with a company called Cuffaro (www.cuffaro.info), or by train in about two hours (see www.trenitalia.com - click on Tutti I Treni then select the two stations and the date and time), or you can make it a family trip by car with your relatives.

There are two exciting volcanos in Sicily - neither is real close to Palermo, so you'll have to do some planning - start at this site: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/to...noes-of-sicily

Palermo is a fine city, no worries, just don't get drunk and start an argument in a back alley...
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 09:07 PM

I am not sure why you are taking the train from Rome to Palermo, it is an exceedlingly long ordeal, expecially for four people. Do some on-line reviews. I have also had good luck with Booking.com in about 7 or 8 countries.

Although it was a while ago, we stayed at the Pensione Scopello. Look to see if it still a good place to stay.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ni_Sicily.html

There are incomprable Greek antiquities on Sicily and the town of Cefalu is beautiful.

Good luck and have fun. We visited someone else's family in Sicily and once in your their arms, your life is theirs.
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 09:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
A few of the websites on this thread might need updating, but otherwise basic info about getting around on public transport.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...sportation.cfm

>>>During our time near Palermo, we would like to venture out<<<

It would help if you said the name of the town. Near could mean anything in any direction so it's hard to make suggestions. Somewhere like Erice may or may not be convenient depending on where you are staying.
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replys so far. We are taking a train since we have plenty of time and we want to see the Italian coast and the landscape. It was also was a much cheaper option ($188 one way) then $400 each way via plane. We are staying in a small town called Mezzojuso. We talked to our family there and they were extremely caring and told us not to worry about a thing. Thanks so far.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 09:20 AM

That will be an awesome ride down the coast and across to Messina, to get to Palermo by dinner time! I hope you'll have great weather with clear views.
You got me curious about that town, and I just walked all over it on Google Street View. A lovely place, especially Piazza Umberto I - take a look!
It looks just right for the customary late-afternoon passeggiata, the stroll where people come out to chat and be seen. Take along a few t-shirts from your famous home team (or the Miami Heat...) in case you strike up some friendships.
No train nearby that I can see - you'll have to get guidance from your relatives about how to get to Roccapalumba to catch the train for Agrigento if that's where you'll be headed.
Enjoy!
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 09:35 AM

I really can't offer any tips, but I just want to say that I think it is super cool that you are the member of your family planning this trip (and you appear to be doing an excellent job!) Congratulations to you for your effort and responsibility, and to your mom for trusting you. I am sure it will be a wonderful trip. Have fun!
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 09:40 AM

I recently read about those temples, and they look amazing. After recently seeing temples like that for the first time on the mainland (Paestum), I can't wait to get to Sicily one day to see those, too.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 09:51 AM

It is probably going to be hot on the train and a/c is not guaranteed or not guaranteed to work. Buy some bottles of water in advance (plastic bottles) and ask the B&B in Rome to put them in the freezer for you. If you take a freezer bag with you they will remain cold even longer.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 11:23 AM

If the flight was cheaper than the train would you do that?
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 11:31 AM

Like this:

All flights
Nonstop

Blue Panorama Airlines S.p.A. Alitalia Air Berlin Baboo Multiple Airlines Vueling Airlines Iberia Lufthansa Tunisair Meridiana Air France KLM Air Canada

From
€72 From
€91 Alitalia---several daily at 91E---FCO to Plaermo
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 02:03 PM

Seems to me that Manny didn't ask if another mode of transportation might be preferable to his family. From his statements I gather that Manny's family likes to ride on a train - no seat belts, get up when you want, switch seats by the window, doze in more comfort than on a plane, sit across from each other and play cards, stretch your legs when you want, picnic in family style, look out the window and actually see something, enjoy the ferry across to Sicily for something different... Beats the heck out of plane travel when you have the option.
Some people still like trains, what's so compelling about flying?
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 03:33 PM

Bob, I too thought that air would be cheaper, but when I plugged in the date of departure (Aug 11) I saw flights on Alitalia (for example) for $206 dollars and Easyjet for close to that amount.

Seems like they would do fine cost-wise with the train, especially if that is their preferred mode of travel.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 03:54 PM

One-way: Rome to Palermo - Sun, Aug 11Complete tripsIndividual flights
Time bars

Price ▼Airline ▼Depart ▼Arrive ▼Duration ▼From/To ▼Stops ▼Advisory ▼

€114
€0.449 per mile Alitalia 9:05pm 10:20pm 1h 15m FCO to PMO -- Details

€114
€0.449 per mile Alitalia 9:40pm 10:55pm 1h 15m FCO to PMO -- Details

€122
€0.480 per mile Blue Panorama Airlines S.p.A. 12:00pm 1:00pm 1h 0m FCO to PMO -- Details

€138
€0.543 per mile Alitalia 12:00pm 1:10pm 1h 10m FCO to PMO -- Details

€138
€0.543 per mile Alitalia 4:10pm 5:20pm 1h 10m
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 03:57 PM

Manny, Regarding your questions about renting a moped or driving a car, I think you might forget those ideas. You are not old enough to drive a car in Italy, according to this info from Autoeurope's website: The minimum Italy age restriction is 18 years old (age may vary by car category) and you must have held your license for 1 year.

I see conflicting information on the web regarding renting a scooter. It looks like you would have to be 18 to rent a scooter of a certain power. But even if you can rent a smaller scooter, it is a bad idea. Experienced drivers find driving in southern Italy, particularly Sicily, difficult. For a young driver like yourself, it would be dangerous.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 05:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>That will be an awesome ride down the coast and across to Messina, to get to Palermo by dinner time!<<<

I would hardly call a 12 hour ride on an old IC train with no amenities awesome. Take some drinks and food on the train as there is no dining car on these IC trains. There may be someone come around selling drinks. The IC trains are supposed to have AC, but it often doesn't work. There are a few newer IC trains (still no amenities, but maybe some outlet plugs), but don't know it would be this route.

>>>We will be taking public transportation such as buses or trains, but have a car available on the weekends. <<<

There doesn't appear to be any bus service in the town you are staying (or nearby towns). No train lines either. Did your relatives plan to take you somewhere in the mornings to catch transport and pick you up at night?
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:45 PM

The people who are so worried about air conditioning and food service and all that must not have been around in the golden age of postwar train travel. What a spoiled way of looking at it! Of course you bring your own food and drink, and in places where you have 20 minutes or more of a stop you replenish - the IC trains are far better than many trains we used to consider the top of luxury, and you're making them sound terrible. You're way more likely to get to know other travellers, you can move about, you can snooze...

But if you're not a train traveller at heart, then nothing about trains will satisfy you. Again - what's so compelling about flying when you can see the countryside from the relaxed comfort of a train? Doesn't compare in my book.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 10:53 PM

Have you taken an IC train in southern Italy in Aug? I happen to love trains but we are currently in northern Tuscany and taking the IC trains to do day trips and it is HOT! They are pretty slow, the AC doesn't work well and they are hot and humid inside. Because they have AC most windows don't open...some of our rides have been pretty miserable and the longest has been 1.5 hours...can't imagine in Aug for most of the day! And no as a mid-30 year old I am not familiar with post-war travel but I would definitely choose to fly over taking an ICtrain all that way in Aug...
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys and thanks for all the replies. Firstly, I'd like to address the train debate that seems to have sprung up. Before any tickets were purchased, I discussed this with my mother and she was excited for it. I feel like seeming the coast for $188 one way (for all 4) was a great and cheap way of getting to where we wanted. Yes, the A/C may be down, but I have lived in places where the temp reached up to 115 degrees and survived. The plane tickets were just far too much what we were looking to spend on to get to Palermo and was out of the questions (I spent hours finding a decent deal). I believe the train won't be that bad, hopefully will get all the luggage in and bring plenty of food and drink for the ride. We also rented a little Fiat Panda from August 18th to Sept 2nd in Palermo to increase our stay (in palermo) and mobility. We were thinking of Cefalu and Taromina, but maybe just day trips would be better to the beach. The town is great, my mother lived there briefly as a child and knows all the family. Most the children and older teens speak English there (+ for me), so it should be much eaiser to fit in with the local crowd. Also, my mother tells me the town is a little more laid back, less traditional then other towns in sicily. Also, there is a bus service bewteen the town and Palermo when needed.On the moped rental, I probably wont get one but if I can, I'd jump on it. I cant believe it is 6 more days and I am off! Going to be one of the best months in my life. Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:49 AM

Manny what incredible young man you are! Have a great trip. Please come back and tell a about your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -