Heading east out of Antalya for 2 weeks on a motorbike

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2019, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering an ancient sightseeing trip to Gobekli Tepe and other sites in that area in May during Ramadan. Turkish Airlines now have direct flights from Gatwick to Antalya at reasonable prices and good timings.

I see the UK Foreign Office still considers Hatay slightly off limits. The new museum at Antakya looks excellent, so I might want to visit that. And also Carcemish right on the Syrian border. The route would be something like this on Google maps
Would I be stupid to ignore the official advice? Especially Carcemish, which is the red zone - "do not go".
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 12:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Croesus, If you, one of the ultimate adventurers on Fodors and TA, were flying to Mardin or Urfa and taking a tour to Karkamis with agroup and a seasoned guide, I would say go ahead and do it.
As things stand, Karkamish may be a mine field or a location for sudden violence, suicide bombers, shelling or snipers. Also, the route to Karkamish will also be frought with dangers, including the Turkish security forces stopping you and assuming that you were an agent of a foreign power.

Antakya is not as big a danger. Ride close to one or two inter-city buses and ot tourist tours and talk to the drivers and guides. Do not get close to the Syrian border like Yayladag. There was even an incident at Samandag recently. The location of St, Simeon Stilit may also be risky.

Do not forget that something may flare up in Idlib or Azez or in between without any warning.

Good luck. and do not forget that the region between Anamur and Mersin, including the mountains have a large number of unexcavated or littlel excavates sites, sink holes/caves, and great natural beauty, as on the road to Ermenek, arounf Karaman (manazan), above Silifke, above Mersin and down from Mus, in assition to some recent;y discovered sites on the mountains above Tarsus, Adana, Osmaneli..
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, OC, for bringing me back down to earth. Plenty of other sites to see.
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

I'm finding Google maps a useful tool for trip planning. They seem to have everything marked nowadays.
Here's a possibility for 2 days visiting some ancient sites along the south coast from Antalya to Mersin
And 2 more days with ancient sites - Mersin to Osmaniye

I don't usually travel with such a detailed plan, but all this new tech is very enabling.

Last edited by Croesus; Apr 11th, 2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 01:45 AM

Do not miss Anamurium. It is on the way and well worthyour visit.

There is a famous cave nearby which I have not visited.

Also, if you have time,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alahan_Monastery may be worth it, although the drive up may be a bit slow.

Ayduncik harbour mosaic should not be missed. DIrectly on your route. Ancient name was Kelenderis. A number of other structures to see also.

Olba is also worth a visit from Silifke https://turkisharchaeonews.net/site/olba

The two sink holes near Silifke, Hell and Heaven are fun and interesting.

Finally, as you approach Mersin, Kanytele - neapolis or Kanli ivane in Turkish was one of my favourites.

Hope you have a wonderful and safe visit.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

I can definitely add Kelenderis and Kanlidivane to the list. I've already visited Anemurium, Olba and the sink holes there. And I think Alahan is too much of a detour.

I see Kanlidivane is on the museum list - https://www.muze.gov.tr/en/museums/kanli-divane-orenyeri - I wonder if the Mediterranean museum pass might be worth getting.

I realise it could take me almost a week to get to Sanliurfa. I might need longer time than just 2 weeks.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

I might need 2 nights in Gaziantep to visit both museums there. Which would make it 1 week to Gobekli from Antalya.

Some ancient sites on the road from Osmaniye to Gobeklitepe - Coba Hoyuk, Domuztepe, dolmens at Yavuzeli and Sehzade Hoyuk, etc.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 11:37 AM

I have not done the area between Adana and Gaziantep, except Southward to iskenderun and Antakya.

I think Gaziantep's Mosaic museum is great but we were not even aware of another museum in 2011. We visited a site outside the city but found out that it was a waste of time. We stayed at the Iberotel which had small rooms and bad mattresses.

Gaziantep for us was, baklava, katmer for breakfast and if you are adventurous, the beyran soup as an alternative breakfast, especially at the restaurant close to the upper gate of the old covered bazaar. The Imam cagdas kebaps wer OK, and their baklava was truly excellent, especially when served warm.

In terms of lahmacun, I prefer the Urfa type to the Gaziantep type.

Maybe you can visit Rum Kale on the Euphrates, from Gaziantep or on the route to Urfa, but with quite a long detour to old Halfeti and then a two hour boat ride.

We did Gaziantep, Urfa and Rum Kale, driving a rental, all within three days. It was hectic but fine.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by otherchelebi
the beyran soup as an alternative breakfast
I looked it up, sounds great.