Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Having trouble planning Bavaria/Austria itinerary - help please? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/having-trouble-planning-bavaria-austria-itinerary-help-please-880931/)

mjknycmjk Mar 7th, 2011 05:14 PM

Having trouble planning Bavaria/Austria itinerary - help please?

I am a bit overwhlemed trying to figure out the best way to plan my trip to Germany and Austria with my wife. We are flying into Zurich (this is already set) the morning of May 22 and leaving Zurich on May 30. We have rented a car from Zurich airport. We know that we want to explroe the Salzburg area and the Bavarian Alps. My wife would also like to go to Dachau (and include Munich in the exploration). We would prefer to base ourselves in two hotels over the course of the trip (except for the last night in Zurich) and not move constantly. We plan on driving to Salzburg the day we arrive. I know that it will be 5-6 hours of driving.

First question - is it recommended that we stay IN Salzburg and then maybe daytrip around the region for a day or two? Or should we stay outside of town and daytrip in? Any suggestions on which makes more sense, and which towns would be best to stay in if we do stay outside the city proper?

Second question - Are Garmisch or Mittenwald the best ideas for the second base? I know they are near the castles, and we can obviously explore the Alps. Are there othere towns we should be looking into instead? Does it make more sense to stay in Munich and daytrip to the Alps instead? (I am guessing that is a no, but I should at least ask.) It seems Mittenwald is the more "alpine" town than Garmisch, but it also seems to be much smaller and quieter.

Thanks, and I look forward to your thoughts. I am putty in your hands. Help me!

logos999 Mar 7th, 2011 05:42 PM

>Are there othere towns we should be looking into instead?
I would be extremely bored, if I had to stay in Mittenwald for more than a day. It is nice because of the buildings, but there's nothing to do or see there. It hasn't even got a McDonalds.. Garmisch has more life, but would be too big for me. If you wanted to go hiking, there a very nice possibilites in and around Garmisch, I'd very much prefer Ehrwald, the valley is beautiful!

If you want more action, check out Seefeld, far better than Mittenwald and only a stone throw away.

Garmisch? Not really..

tcreath Mar 7th, 2011 06:09 PM

I think you are going to get varying opinions on your first question. I personally prefer to stay outside of Salzburg because, while I enjoy it, I prefer the breathtaking surrounding countryside more. We've stayed in the Berchtesgaden area several times and just drove the 20 minutes or so to Salzburg. We stay in a ferienwohnng (vacation apartment) and use this as a base for exploring. Others choose to stay in the Salzkammergut, equally beautiful and also an easy drive to Salzburg. St. Gilgen would be my ideal base in the Salzkammergut if I were to stay there.

I can't answer your second question until next month. I've been to Garmisch but never to Mittenwald. We are staying in another ferienwohnung in Mittenwald for 5 nights in April and using this as a base. I liked Garmisch okay but for me it was just too large and lacked the charm of some of the smaller villages. That's just a matter of personal preference, of course.

Tracy

Aramis Mar 7th, 2011 08:33 PM

If you want 2 hotel bases and have 8 nights, and a car, I would base in Salzburg. Salzburg is a great little city, that will keep you happy for 4 days when you accompany it with day-trips. It affords almost equidistant access to both Berchtesgadenerland (Berchtesgaden, Koenigsee) and the Salzkammergut, Hallstatt, St. Gilgen, St. Wolfgang)

As for your second spot, why not consider heading back most of the way to Zurich and staying somewhere along Lake Constance, like Meersburg, or Lindau. You can visit the island of Mainau, Konstanz, and Ravensburg. It is not the Alps but a really fascinating part of Germany that you will be driving right through. It would be a shame to miss it.

Maybe 4 nights Salzburg, 3 nights Meersburg, and 1 night Zurich.

We even made it from Meersburg to ZRH on one trip - left early on the ferry to Konstanz and then a direct train to the airport. It took about 2 hours from the dock at Meersburg to the airport.

traveldawg Mar 11th, 2011 05:28 PM

We stayed in Salzburg in the BRISTOL HOTEL in 2007. Great location and great service. We were able to leave the hotel and immediately walk across the river bridge to explore, very walkable, old town Salzburg. You can see the area by taking the SOUND OF MUSIC TOUR. Yep, sounds corny, but all the Americans take it. Just do it, have fun and see the countryside. (Watch the movie again prior to visiting Salzburg....you need to be prepared!)

I would base in Salzburg then Garmisch for the two locations. Both have good accomodations. We enjoy the small HOTEL HILLEPRANDT in Garmich. They have a web site. Rooms 1 or 2 have patios and are downstairs. Check out their web site. Clean, in a small neighborhood and not expensive. Breakfast included...at least it was.

Dachau will be depressing. We were there in 1970 while in the Army and again in 2001 with friends. Both times I got a sadness that was hard to break. Do this visit at the end of the day.

I have posted numerous times on our various trips to this area. You should be able to highlight my Traveldawg name and find all of them. We love the area and have been exploring it since I was stationed there in 1970 with the US Army.

Travelforbeer Mar 11th, 2011 05:56 PM

If you like larger cities, split your time between Salzburg and Munich. If you like smaller villages, split your time between Berchtesgaden and Reutte,Austria. I agree with logos999, Mittenwald is not my cup of tea. Have a good trip...