Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Having trip report and images bound like a book (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/having-trip-report-and-images-bound-like-a-book-658622/)

sandi_travelnut Nov 13th, 2006 02:05 PM

Having trip report and images bound like a book

I know many of you have lots of images stored online, as I do. I took a trip report I had written in MS Word and added the appropriate images to the document as it occurred in my trip report. So now I have this very large Word document that I would love to get printed and bound like a book. I know that many online image storage websites will print your images in book form, but only the images and maybe a title under them, not lots of text. I have no idea how to get a large document of text mixed with images printed and bound.

Has anyone else researched this? I would love to do this for all my trips.

hdm Nov 13th, 2006 02:14 PM

Your local university probably has a duplicating service which binds theses. These are bound like regular hard-cover books with imprinted titles and look quite nice. It's not very expensive (e.g. about $40 at my university).

Good luck!

isabel Nov 13th, 2006 02:17 PM

Actually I do this. I do it myself, which is a lot of work (but I love it) and costs quite a bit but I rationalize that someday when I'm an old lady I'll be able to sit in my rocking chair and re-live all my trips. My documents are pretty large - some are a hundred pages or more of photos and text. I wasn't able to find anyplace that would do that large a document, and certainly none that would do it the way I wanted it to look. I print on double sided matt photo paper - so the images are not as good as those printed on high quality glossy, but better than those printed on regular paper. Places like Staples and copy centers can then bind it (spiral or other types of binding).

I'll be interested to see what other people come up with as ideas - assuming anyone besides you and me do this.

sandi_travelnut Nov 13th, 2006 02:21 PM

I went to Kinkos and they will sell me the nicer paper and bind it with a ring binder but it looked really cheap..like something you would hand out at a business meeting. I was looking for something more like book binding but I may be asking for something that ultimately I cannot afford. My document right now is over 50 pages and I am not quite halfway through.

I'm up for any ideas..

Dukey Nov 13th, 2006 03:11 PM

I would think you could at least get it spiral bound (done by a machine)which I think would look better than the rings but don't know how much more it would cost.

teach2travel Nov 13th, 2006 03:20 PM

Have you tried an online photo service like snapfish?

jamikins Nov 13th, 2006 03:22 PM

I used this site to make my own wedding album http://www.mypublisher.com/default.php

It turned out fantastic, I was really pleased. It had enough room to write out our vows on one page...and trust me, they were long!

Hope this helps!
Jamie

ronin Nov 13th, 2006 03:24 PM

I just saw this company featured on my local news cast (KCRA Sacramento) and the finished product looked very nice! You download a formatting software & then they print the book on archival material with a real bindery cover. http://www.blurb.com/

Also much more image-friendly than the old "vanity press" books I'd seen.

knoxvillecouple Nov 13th, 2006 03:40 PM

I'm using blurb's BookSmart right now trying to create a heavily photgraphed version of my trip report from last year. My only concerns at this point are: (1) the quality of the reproduced photograph and (2) the extent to which I can manipulate the software to put text where I want text and photos where I want photos. I produced a trip report fromn our Med cruise last summer using iPhoto and "published" by Apple, and the quality of the photographs was excellent but there were severe constraints on the use of text. The cost was about $35/copy for 3 copies (Xmas presents for fellow travelers) at 100 pages - not unreasonable I think.

Does anybody have experience with blurb's BookSmart? If not, I'll be a guinea pig and let folks know.

KC

ronin Nov 13th, 2006 03:50 PM

knoxvillecouple - I wondered the same thing when the newscasters held up two different books... one with glossy photo pages & one with a more-matte page with text & picture(s).

I was hoping to scan little bits, like matchbook covers, menu's & receipts, and insert'em with photo's & text (ala Nick Bantock's Griffin & Sabine books).

thanks for going there first! and be sure to share your thoughts about the end result.

Lostmymind Nov 13th, 2006 04:18 PM

last year I used QOOP to do a trip book of images. It was bound and it turned out great. It cost 24.99

amyb Nov 14th, 2006 04:14 AM

I've used My Publisher for 6 or so trip albums and a few family albums. It's wonderful and they keep adding new features all the time (recently the ability to have even more text). However, I will say that the software is not at all intuitive to learn. But once you do the results are excellent.

knoxvillecouple Nov 14th, 2006 06:26 AM

amyb -

Does MyPublisher allow you to use and format much text? I want to be able to put photos with my trip report, not simply have lots of pictures with captions.

Thanks,

KC

sandi_travelnut Nov 14th, 2006 07:07 AM

That's what I'm looking for as well...lots of room for text.

jamikins Nov 14th, 2006 07:34 AM

I just downloaded the new mypublisher software last night and under the deluxe covers there is an option for "storyteller" style book and there is room for a lot of text.

drbb Nov 14th, 2006 09:21 AM

In my recent post (Trip report part 1 - Paris, Loire, Burgundy) I described how I used the photo book service of shutterfly.com to make an album with photos and narrative. It was quite easy and the resulting leather bound album was very nice looking. The only drawback is that you are somewhat limited on the amount of narrative that can be included.

The post said, in part:

" I have posted an album of our photos on Shutterfly.com, but you will have to send me your e-mail address so that I can e-mail you with an “invitation” to view it. The invitation will contain the URL. Send your e-mail address to [email protected], and please be patient if I do not get back to you immediately. This album is what Shutterfly calls a photo book and it contains captions and narratives laid out in book form. This is a great idea for you digital photo buffs who like to share your travel photos but aren’t especially wild about a collection of loose prints. I also was able to share this album with family far away. Sharing is free. After I laid out the photos (everything is online at shutterfly, you upload your jpg files, and position them on the pages) and typed in the captions and narrative, I was able to pick out a page background, a cover, and details like font styles, photo edge styles, etc. I choose a black leather cover and had it printed. I received the bound book within 3 days of submitting my order. Many other online photo services offer the same or similar products."

sandi_travelnut Nov 14th, 2006 09:55 AM

drbb, thanks for the information, I will check them out. One suggestion though, I use imagestation.com and often want to "invite" people to my albums. You can send the invitation to yourself, and once you open the invitation you will see a URL embedded in it. You can the post the URL directly on this site without you having to send invitations to everyone individually. Did that make sense?

amyb Nov 14th, 2006 10:20 AM

Knoxville, My Publisher has recently expanded the text capability so now you can do things like recipe books, story books, etc. I've seen samples with whole pages of text, so I think that's much more robust than it was originally.

astein12 Nov 14th, 2006 11:38 AM

I love MyPublisher... when I want to use lots of text, I cut and paste the text into Adobe Photoshop (you can do this any almost any photo editor) and then save it as a jpg. I then just put it into mypublisher as I would any other photo. It works great for putting your itinerary or a table of contents into the book.

mcnyc Nov 14th, 2006 11:50 AM

Wow, I never thought of that before. I was just thinking, when I had the time, I'd put together a scrap book as my friend from NC has always encouraged me to do. Especially since I take zillions of pictures thanks to my digital camera.

I hope to be taking up this new hobby soon. The scrapbooking, not the picture taking.