Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Havent been to France and Spain in 20 years. Is the toilet paper still like sandpaper. Should i bring my own?

Search

Havent been to France and Spain in 20 years. Is the toilet paper still like sandpaper. Should i bring my own?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Ethel

I remember how bad it was. Brown sheets of paper. Pure torture!!!! Should I bring my own??

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Fiona

You should, Ethel. Its still horrid.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Jen

What a shame! I was delightfully surprised by the improvement in TP quality in London between my visits in 1985 and 2001.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:35 AM
N

Fiona is right to a point - but in Spain it has definitely improved - it really was sandpaper from my memory of a 4 star hotel in Barcelona in the late 70s. It is not nearly as bad now - just like lots of other continental European loo paper - useable but sub standard, rather than sand paper. Jen is 100% correct, loo paper in UK is now very high quality -but not extended to the continent in any significant way.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 08:30 AM
xxx

Bring your own!! It still bad and the color is usually pink

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Henri

Does color REALLY make a difference?<BR>Should see what you get in the back country in Thailand!!!!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 01:04 PM
xxx

ttt

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Rosanne

In 1978, my college friend and I lived with a family in Salamanca, Spain while doing a summer study program. The first day in their apartment I commented to my friend that there was no toilet tissue and I had to use some kleenex that I had. She laughed hysterically that the old issues of Time magazine were what they used! Needless to say we went and purchased some toilet paper that afternoon! France 2001 was a major improvement!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 01:25 PM
jc

now you got me worried. Is Italy the same? does anyone know?

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Alec

Seriously, taking your own toilet paper is always a good idea. Public toilets (when they exist) and some in public buildings like stations and museums in both Spain and Italy frequently lack toilet paper. You can sometimes buy from dispenser or from attendant, but you can't count on it.