Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you used your US Ipod in a Rental Care in Europe?

Notices

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:04 PM
wic
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We are going to Ireland in May and would like to use our Ipod in the rental car as we drive. In the US, we have a 'plug' that we attach to our Ipod and plug the other end into the cigarette lighter. We are then able to tune into an Ipod friendly station to hear our Ipod music over the car stereo speakers? Has anyone done this while traveling abroad? Will it work? If it will, do I need a European plug/adapter?
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:07 PM
wic
Original Poster

Obviously, I meant, car and not care. It bugs me that you can't modify the subject line after you post!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:13 PM

you will not need an adapter--it should work as long as it picks up the full spectrum of radio frequencies (stations), some of the adapters only pick up a few of the stations.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 05:21 PM

We tried this with a Renault in France. The radio could not be set to an "iPod friendly" station. We even pulled into a Renault dealer to see if we were doing something wrong. The only way I knew to describe our problem in my meager French is to say we wanted a station without a signal. We laugh to think about what the staff were saying about crazy Americans after we left.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 11:46 PM

These radio adapters are illegal in some countries in Europe, or use the wrong frequencies for Europe in countries which do allow them. The FM band is very crowded and it is hard to find a clear frequency, and when you do it may not last long, or may be an emergency channel.
We had one (illegally) for our ipod here in the Netherlands, but gave up on it as the frequencies were too crowded. They are now allowed in the Netherlands I believe but are still pretty useless.
Luckily our Prius still has a cassette deck as well as a CD player so we use a cassette adapter now.
Many cars have an ipod/mp3 socket in them already, but not the Prius.
The cigarette lighter plug will work fine for charging it btw.
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:28 AM

If you can't get it to work in Europe, it will be mostly due to what hetismij explained.

The most "difficult" part will be to learn how to switch the car stereo to manual scan, and then search for a vacant frequency.

But when you travel by car over some distance you will have to fool around with the transmitter all the time to find a new unoccupied frequency. Unless you get one of the better transmitters (from Belkin, I think) which actively scan for vacant frequencies and tune to those.
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:36 AM
BKP

hetismij -- our UK Prius came with the ipod socket. Is there any way you can find out if a rental would have that in advance? It was not an option when we rented a car in the states.

I guess the other option would be to bring speakers with you.
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:51 AM

Some newer type of cars have s special plug (besides the lighter)for your Ipod to play and hear the music you have on it.
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:01 AM

The special plug is usually labeled as 'AUX', and the cable is widely available at places like Best Buy, Radio Shack, or even the Apple Store. More and more cars are coming with these and they are a definite plus.

As for using the FM adapters. Where the airwaves are crowded, they don't work well. This is true in Europe and in the US. Otherwise, I just use the seek button and watch, when I see a big jump between stations (say one station is at 102.3 and the next is as 103.7) I will set the transmitter to some place in between. Then, just run the scan again, and it should find the signal. No need to fool around with manual tuning, though that also works.
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:08 AM

We had the same question before driving through Tuscany last Fall. I ended up taking a small speaker unit:
http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-.../dp/B000JEWIV6

About the size of a box of chocolates. The quality is surprisingly good.

Best part was, we could use it in the apartments as well as the car. Of course, this involves only your own dowloads, not the radio.