Have you used the Budapest card?

May 8th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Have you used the Budapest card?

I am going to Budapest for 4 days and would like some feedback on the Budapest card. I have an interest in museums and other sites. Is it worth it to get the card? What if I just get the transportation card? Thanks for any information.
May 8th, 2007, 01:38 PM

InMiami, I had that, and it was a total waste of my money, for the simple reason that I was staying at the wonderful Budapest Marriott-one of my favorites in all of Europe, and I simply did not NEED the transportation card-I could walk to everything, including the Opera House and up to Gellert Hill! It just wasn't worth it, and I wasted my money by buying it. I didn't go to museums, so these are things you have to consider, where you are staying, how many museums you're going to, add that up-and figure out whether you need to buy a card, or just a couple of subway tickets here and there.
May 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM

I didn't purchase it when I was there. However, I am a student so already get some discounts. I bought a packet of 10 metro tickets. However, you have to use a ticket for each leg (i.e. transfers) which I thought was odd and made the tickets go by kind of fast.
May 8th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

I am staying at the K & K Opera which indeed is right across the street from the main Opera house. It seems to be a very central location. I love to walk, will I even need the transportation card? I do like seeing all the sights although I have read that the museums ect. are not very expensive.
May 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM

The K & K is a nice hotel-no, I don't think you will need it-you can just buy some bus or subway tickets to take you over to Buda or you can walk, if you are so inclined-You're not that far up on the lovely Andrassy utca, you can walk up the avenue to Hero's Square, check it out, go over to the City Garden, and then dine at the excellent BagolyVar (Owl's Castle) restaurant, (owned by the famous Gundel's but without the famously overpriced dishes) with its nice garden.