Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you tried contacting Alitalia lately? They are horrible

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Jim

Trying to contact Alitalia to see if my flight this evening is going to leave JFK. <BR>Under normal circumstances they are impossible to reach now it's even worse. Checked their website for info, NOT A HINT of a problem with all of the airports being closed. <BR>Called Northwest which is code sharing this flight,they tell me call Alitalia. Isn't that great. Alitalia you suck

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:00 PM
John G

Jim, it may be the amount of calls, emails and faxes that Alitalia is getting that prevents you from getting through. I have tried calling my mother in Roma and I can't get through either. Im sure they know as much as you do. You forget Alitalia is an Italian airline and it is the UNITED STATES that is causing the problem. Alitalia can't control what the FAA does in the US. You have to stop blaming them. Im sure this is a nightmare for them too. You also have to remember that Italians have a much more relaxed attitude toward problems. Ciao, John G.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Deb

Jim, <BR>Alitalia is not flying from JFK this evening.. I'm an agent and I just checked their flight schedule....the FAA will not allow it.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Jim

No John, Alitalia's 800 number has ALWAYS been a piece of $#@%. They want you to go to their website so they can save money on staff. They are truly a bad airline. Go to their website,see if they have anything regarding this tragedy. Months ago I've was on the phone waiting for twenty miunutes, just to get in touch with someone to get a fare quote. They are so quick to mention their website as an alternative to waiting for an opertor.I could go on and on.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:50 PM
angela

I agree that dealing with Alitalia in the best of times is a nightmare. We had booked an Italiatours trip last spring but cancelled 2 weeks before departure due to the lack of service and long waits on hold. Italiatours tried to charge $300 deposit to AMEX card but this was disputed and removed. We rebooked everything on our own and had a wonderful time. Sorry we wasted time with Italiatours. Angela

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 07:17 PM
John G

Yes, Alitalia is very relaxed. I once spent 3 days trying to call them and no one answered the phone. I just think it is the attitude. But, when you go to one of their offices and talk to them in person they are so nice. Their flight attendants are just wonderful. And I like taking their planes because they are full of Italians. I just love Italians--they are bitchy but nice at the same time. Ciao, John G.