Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Have You Traveled Trenhotel Grand Classe ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/have-you-traveled-trenhotel-grand-classe-442781/)

SydneySteve Jun 15th, 2004 05:05 PM

Have You Traveled Trenhotel Grand Classe ?

We are planning journeys on the Lusitania Express from Lisbon to Madrid and the Salvador Dali between Barcelona and Milan in September. Any advice on what side to book a compartment or anything else you have experienced or are aware of would be greatly appreciated ? Thank you for your help.

TopMan Jun 16th, 2004 12:57 AM

I have taken the train from Barcelona to Milan several times.

If you can, and believe me, there are no guarantees) get a compartment on the right-hand side (facing forward) of the Dali for the trip to Milan. The train follows the coastline as far as Sete where it finally turns northward toward Lyon. The views are pretty nice, even after dark, especially if you have a full moon.

But again, there is no way you can get one side or the other guaranteed that I know of because the computer used to book such accommodations does not necessarily tell the user. However, you can ask for that when you check in with the attendant at the train and I would definitely do so if I were you.

Gran Classe compartments include a shower but do not expect anything large. The berths in these compartments are comfortable enough and there is a fairly large storage space for luggage.

Enjoy your trip..wish I were going also.

SydneySteve Jun 16th, 2004 01:50 PM

Thank you TopMan. We have requested the right side of the train, but as you say there is some computer system impasse to allow confirmation of that. Is the restaurant car of a reasonably high standard or do we need to take a bottle or two of good Rioja, Bordeaux or Barolo ? I will check the moon tables.

TopMan Jun 16th, 2004 11:44 PM

I cannot honestly answer your question about the restaurant car because, and with the greatest of respect for you, I have no idea if your tastes are the same as mine.

I found the restaurant car somewhat pricey but the whole thing is "pricey" by some people's standards.

I would definitely recommend taking your own wine if you wish but for use in the compartment (take a couple of disposable glasses, too).

Again, ask the attendant when you check in about being placed on the right-hand side and try to be one of the first folks on the train, too.

SydneySteve Jun 17th, 2004 12:05 AM

Hi TopMan. I guess you could say that wine and food - culinary arts - is a hobby / strong interest in our Family. Because we are celebrating a 25th anniversary with a rather extreme itinerary, we have decided to book Grand Class. After checking the Portuguese and Spanish Rail Sites, I understand we get an a la carte 3 course meal with some basis of selection and including drinks, a welcome drink and breakfast in bed. Although expensive, we are purchasing a memory that is truly European and unlike anything we have in Australia. Thanks for your help.