Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you taken Marozzi Bus Rome to Sorento recently?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you purchase tickets? Thanks so much!
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can reserve tickets on their website, but it's all in Italian. When you click on the website, you might get a couple of screens popping up in Italian. Just click ok or yes until you get the Marrzo page. Of the choices there will be a pdf (Adobe symbol) which you should click. Pages 15-17 of the pdf are in English and walk you through the booking process.
http://www.marozzivt.it/

Keep in mind Curreri also runs a bus between Rome and Pompeii/Sorrento and the times make work for you if Marozzi doesn't. The times for Friday and Saturday on both bus lines are usually different than weekdays.
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:14 AM

Can you tell me where the bus stop is in Rome for the Curreri bus line? Thanks.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:25 AM

I've taken both the bus and the train from Rome to Sorrento and prefer the train. On the bus there's no place to stretch out your legs as there are metal foot rests that I kept hitting my feet against (and it hurt every time). The foot rests blocks the access so you can't put your feet under the seat in front of you. Boo
hiss to buses. 4 hours is a long time not to be able to stretch out your legs, although there is a 10 minute rest break.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM

Both the Curreri and Marozzi pick up and drop off at Rome's Tiburtina train station which is on the metro line and just a few stops from Termini. It's a big bus hub for Rome. I had no problem with seat space on the Marozzi, but haven't used the Curreri. Perhaps the Curreri buses have more seats and less space. One of the people with me was 6'4" and didn't have an issue with space.

I've used train and bus also. The nice thing about the bus is you put your luggage underneath and you don't have to worry about changing trains in Naples or hauling luggage up and down stairs in the Naples train station.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 12:32 PM

Hey, does anyone know where the bus stops are in Sorrento? Thanks!
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 03:04 PM

The train station in Sorrento. It may be that early morning departures will pick up at Piazza Tasso (a few blocks from the train station) before going to the train station, but I would ask to make sure.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 09:00 PM

Following up to an earlier question, does anyone know where the Marozzi bus stops in Sorrento? My wife and I are taking the Marozzi bus from Rome to Sorrento and then a Sita bus to Positano. I know the Sita bus picks up at the Circumvesuviana train station and am curious if that's where the Marozzi bus stops.

We are travelling on the 13th of April 2012.

Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:14 AM

Jeremy, you do get about.... hi again!

I've called Marozzi ( 080 579 0111 ) this morning, and it would indeed be at the train station in Sorrento that you'd get off their bus from Rome.

If I didn't suggest it elsewhere already, a copy of the maps here may come in handy...

http://www.unicocampania.it/index.ph...mappe_sorrento

Peter

PS: In subsequently checking the details for that day, I wonder if my phonecall wasn't rather wasted - given what's shown when using their booking site...

http://www.pbase.com/image/142504493

"Staz. Circumvesuviana"
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 08:28 AM

Thank you very much, Peter!
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 09:14 AM
GAC

One advantage of taking the direct bus from Roma Tiburtina bus depot to Sorrento-Circumvesuviana train station is that you can stow your luggage in the underfloor luggage hold of the bus. By contrast, taking the train means lifting luggage up several steep and narrow steps from the platform to the passenger area of the train, then dragging it down the narrow central corridor to your seat (or leaving it in the oversized luggage racks at the end of the railcar). You also need to connect between trains at Napoli Centrale Station (Trenitalia to Circumvesuviana or the reverse), using escalators.

Consequently, persons who have ambulatory challenges may find taking the bus easier, despite the fact that it takes considerably longer and there is no opportunity to get up and walk around (as on the train).

Bear in mind that the bus schedules are MUCH more limited than the those of the train, especially outside of the summer season, when only Marozzi runs one daily bus between Rome and Sorrento. (Curreri does not operate a bus between Rome and Sorrento year-round).

From June 1 through September 30, the early morning Marozzi bus from Rome continues on from Sorrento to Positano, Praiano and Amalfi (thereby linking Rome by bus all the way to Amalfi in five hours).
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 11:35 AM

>>>there is no opportunity to get up and walk around (as on the train).<<<

The bus makes a quick stop mid-way at Autogrill (or did last time I rode it). The cost is much less (under 20€) and has AC which the Circumvesuviana doesn't.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 11:43 AM
GAC

That's right. The bus costs 18 Euros one-way from Rome to Sorrento (versus 4 Euros for the Circumvesuviana, PLUS anywhere between 9 Euros and 45 Euros for the Trenitalia fast train). By contrast, he unreserved Trenitalia "regionale" train costs 10.50 Euros each way at any time (to which you still must add 4 Euros for the Circumvesuviana).

Bottom line, the bus fare compares well to that of the trains.

Do you recall if the bus had an on-board rest room?
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 12:26 AM

Looks as if there isn't one... all the fleet page says is:

"Irizar" coach, single decker, powered by Scania.

63 seats + driver + hostess
2 TV
2 Fridges
1 DVD player

So perhaps not for members of the TBC?

Peter