Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy with kids for 8 days: Sardinia or Amalfi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to be in Italy for 8 days in July 2012. Of course, we'd love to see it all; Venice, Florence, Tuscan villages, etc., but with two kids (ages 11 and 15) I just don't want to run them ragged. We will have already spent 7 days in Paris prior to arriving in Italy, so the kids will be ready for some swimming and beach time. We were dead-set on Amalfi, but I explained to my family that the beaches there are tiny and rocky. I am also concerned about the crowds, traffic and the like in July. As an alternative, I suggested Sardinia, specifically Villasimius or Cala Gonone. I am interested in any input/opinions about Sardinia as a viable alternative to Amalfi when traveling with kids. My thought is that there are better beaches and hiking trails, which will be welcome after a week cooped up together in a small flat in Paris for a week. We are flying out of Rome, so we are planning to spend the last two days of our trip there in order to get some city life in Italy, as well as see the Vatican and other attractions.

The downside is that the kids really wanted to see Venice, but that is pretty far away, and I am conceded about eating up time by traveling across the country just for a couple of days in Venice? Should I just save Venice for another trip?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 11:47 AM

We have been to Sardinia seven times with our 6 year old. It is a child's playground. The beaches, along with those in Corsica, are the best in Europe. The are generally very soft sand and slowly shelving.

Cala Gonone is a stunning place and very "local". This contrasts to the NE coast which is a hang out for European billionaires and footballers. I wouldn't think twice about spending some chill out time there. We have in the past spent a week in Peinza and driven over to Sardinia for a second week using the ferry.

Venice is a possibility. There is a cheap route using Ryanair from Venice to Cagliari. could be wrong but I think easyjet and Meridiana offer a cheap Venice/Sardinia route.

Perfect choice for children.

If the children are boys try to get to the naval museum in Venice, my 6 year old loved it.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 12:23 PM

If your children are asking to see Venice, the logistics from flying to Venice are no more complicated than the logistics of flying to Sardinia -- and once in you are in Venice, all you need is a fast train to get to Rome in 4 hours.

If the point is non-touristy focus and swiming, how about Lago di Garda, for a trip to Garda land and some time on the water? Fly into Milan from Paris.

Would they absolutely turn up their noses at a few days swimming in Rimini -- all sand baaches -- or another Adriatic beach spot? Likewise, Grado?

Given what you are thinking of spending on airfair, you might get something a bit posh on an Adriatic resort for a few days and have easier access to Venice. Likewise, check out Croata since you have so much time before your trip.

I've nothing against Sardinia, and maybe the extra plane flights won't faze you, but I just tend to think that when kids actually ask to go to an amazing city of history to check it out, it's worth jumping on and giving some priority, even if the closest peaches are not calendar art.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 12:23 PM

Sorry -- that should have been "closest beaches" -- !!!
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Your points regarding Venice are well-taken. I also like DickieG's idea about the flight from Venice to Cagliari. I will check out these options.

Zeppole: where do you suggest staying in Venice with kids?
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 01:03 PM

I would really recommend Sardinia. It is paradise. There are many camping grounds near beaches with wonderful cheap restaurants. Like 6 euros for something with at least two toppings.!
Venice would not be appreciated with the kids ( if they are under 20), and the high crowds, long line-ups, and extremely high cost of everything makes it not the best choice ( in my opinion).
I've travelled a lot, and I remember the beaches of sardinia like it was yesterday...It helps having a car ( or renting one), since alot of beaches are not accesible by car.
Hope that helps..
there are also easyjet flights to Sardinia.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 01:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
A friend of mine took her kids to the Amalfi Coast and they were bored..What about a beach town in Liguria such as Lerici?
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM

I didn't fully appreciate the logistics of your trip Paris then 8 days in Italy to include a flight out of Rome.

To cram in Venice and Sardinia would be taxing. I personally would fly into Venice from Paris. Spend some time there. Do as is suggested above and take the train to Rome and have day trips to the beaches with 1 or two hours of Rome. There are many options both north and south.

Otherwise you spend much of your time in Italy in its various airports. In theory, you can "jump on" a low cost flight 30 minutes before departure. That just isn't possible at a major Italian airport in July. Allow at least two hours.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 01:15 PM

Just booked CDG VCE on easyjet.com for 39 euro
Lots more to do in venice-tourism.com tonnes
of fun for kids get a nice Dorsoduro apt
italyby.com sleepinitaly.com enjoy the vibe.

Sardegna.com nice beaches around the Costa Smeralda
but expensve big cities quite dodgy hard to get around
wihout a car rental so Venice for me.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Or of course skip Venice and simply do Paris - Rome. Then straight to Cagliari with a cheap 6 day return ticket to leave from Rome back home. Which would work very well.

Book any low cost tickets well in advance. The cost rises from around 80 euros to over 300 euros per ticket close to departure.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 01:20 PM

http://www.hotels.com/ho141158/the-e...or-venice-lido...
Princesscruises put me up in the Churchill Suite here after our cruise ship wrapped a cable and cancelled it was super
nice beach ok not great but Lido 15 minutes from San Marco
if you want some beach time. Have also stayed in Le Ville
De Lido there $90 hotels.com very nice for price in the past.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 01:21 PM

"nice beach ok not great but Lido 15 minutes from San Marco
if you want some beach time"

Is a really good idea.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 06:07 AM

I totally recommend Sardinia, but try the South West area... Pula or Chia. Very family-orientated, great beaches, water parks, Roman ruins, wonderful food and unspoilt. Have a great time!