Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Have you seen The Winter's Tale? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/have-you-seen-the-winters-tale-213604/)

JoAnn May 4th, 2002 12:26 PM

Have you seen The Winter's Tale?

Plan to visit Stratford-upon-Avon and the two plays are The Winter's Tale and The Malconter - Has anyone seen either and are they worth seeing?

Patrick May 4th, 2002 01:06 PM

I can't speak to the current production, but I had the pleasure of acting in The Winter's Tale as a theatre major in college (a few years ago, ahem!). The Winter's Tale is a very interesting play, quite similar in theme to Othello -- and probably an earlier study for that play. The central character is led to distrust his wife and others around him by a supposedly well-intentioned aide -- Camillo (the Iago-like part that I played). I think you will enjoy it very much. I always suggest if the play is unknown to you, either read it first or at least get the Cliff Notes at a college bookstore. That will improve your enjoyment. <BR>Sorry, know nothing about The Malconter -- but if only seeing one play definitely stick with the Shakespeare one for Stratford -- The Winter's Tale in this case.

Patrick Wallace May 4th, 2002 02:34 PM

Lest my namesake's reference to Othello may mislead, the Winter's Tale does not end unhappily - it includes many of the aspects of Shakespeare's comedies, and is ultimately about restoration of harmony, etc., etc. And it includes the stage direction 'Exit, pursued by a bear'.

Sheila May 5th, 2002 12:39 AM

Just to be helpful, I saw The Winter's Tale at Stratford three times- in 1975.<BR><BR>It was wonderful.<BR><BR>Joking apart. You will never see Shakespeare done as well as it is at Stratford. Go for it.<BR><BR>As to the Malcontent, I have no comment

sylvia May 5th, 2002 03:01 AM

Winter's Tale contains what is probably literature's most famous stage direction<BR>"Exit pursued by a bear"

janis May 5th, 2002 05:49 AM

I haven't seen the current production but going to the RSC at Stratford is always a treat. get there early enought to eat in the riverside rerstaurant and to walk along the river with all the brightly painted narrow boats and swans. <BR><BR>The RSC also mounts a season at the Barbican in London. Both venues are wonderful.

amy May 5th, 2002 06:09 AM

Saw "Winter's Tale" in 1969 at Stratford-on-Avon with standing room tickets. Loved it. It was a very avant-garde production (sort of flower-childish), so don't expect all productions at S-on-A to be stiff, by-the-book, this-is-how-Shakespeare-wanted-it things.<BR><BR>Save your program. I still have mine--Judi Dench and Roger Rees were in it.

Sheila May 5th, 2002 07:15 AM

Are you sure that was '69, Amy?<BR><BR>Oh, yes it was. Mine had Francesca Annis and John Vine and the bear was Judi Dench's husband Michael Williams.<BR><BR>Judi was playing Beatrice opposite Donald Sinden's Benedick, but Roger Rees was in that season's production of Romeo and Juliet<BR><BR>In '69, I saw David Warner's Hamlet (sigh).<BR><BR>(JoAnn, I think the point here is, GO. You will not regret it)