Have you seen "Anything Goes" in London?

Feb 6th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Have you seen "Anything Goes" in London?

Saw a site where we could get tix to this play, along with a 2-course dinner at Porter for 45 pounds per person. First, is the play a good one, and second, would we do better to eat elsewhere or does this sound like a good deal? Thank you!
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:28 PM

Porter's is very poor. It is like cheap pub food at restaurant prices. I'd avoid it. You can get half price tickets to Anything Goes at TKTS and go somewhere else for food.
Feb 7th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Anything Goes isn't a play its a revival of a classic Cole Porter musical - with a fairly thin story line but lots of great/clever music and tapping. I would definitely go - but then I know some people prefer the modern, heavier (often drearier IMO) musical as historical drama.
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Patrick, nytraveler: thanks so much for your thoughts. We are looking for a lighthearted, fun musical, so I'm sure this will fit the bill. As for the dinner/play combo that was offered, we will avoid that and go our own route. Patrick, could you please tell me more about the TKTS that you referred to? I haven't been able to locate a reference to it in my guide book. Thanks again!
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:50 AM

If you do a search on this forum you will find many, many threads about the 1/2 price ticket booth. Be sure to only go to the official TKTS stand-alone kiosk in Leicester Square. Don't go to the "1/2 price" store fronts just outside the Leicester Square tube station.

TKTS sells tickets to matinees and evening performances to most of the shows in London on the day of performance only.
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:07 PM

Only about a year ago the booth in Leicester Square became known as TKTS, paying to the New York firm for using the name. Before that it was called "The Official Half Price" booth. Since changing their name, many of the "rip-off" booths near by now have signs saying "Official" on them. Ignore that.

We're talking about the separate free standing building on the south side of the actual park square at Leicester Square.

There was a recent post about somebody buying a ticket at one of those other booths, being seated in the theatre and then having somebody else coming in with the real tickets and his being moved way to the back. They also love to say that a full price ticket to a show is 40 pounds and they'll sell you one for 20 pounds, when in fact the rear balcony seat they're selling you is less than that when at full price!

To to www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk and you will find over in the right hand column a place to click for TKTS, which will also show you what shows are selling today and the prices. Note that the "half-price" includes the fee. They sell a couple hit shows at full price and a couple at less than half-price discounts.
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:13 PM

Discounted tickets at: http://www.officiallondontheatre.co....ntheatre/shows
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:37 PM
ira

Hi suzski,

Anything goes has music by Cole Porter, one of America's best song writers, and book by P. G. Wodehouse, one of England's best writers of comedy.

It also has some of the best songs ever written. In particular, "I get a Kick Out of You" has the only quintuple rhyme in English, and that's the first act.

Even if it's not a good production, ---GO.
Feb 7th, 2004, 07:41 PM

I saw Anything Goes in London last October and it was fabulous! It's a really fun show , with great Cole Porter songs, and a very appealing and talented cast. I actually do like Porter's Restaurant and have had good meals there more than once. If you want to check it out, their website is www.porters.uk.com. In any case, definitely see the show!
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:06 AM

Jame, thanks for the info. We are going in 3 weeks to London and Anything Goes is part of our list of plays to see. Too bad I didn't get half price tkts, but I wanted to see it on a Friday night, and was not sure I could get good seats. so I purchased in advance. Judy
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Just have to say that this is one of the most helpful threads I have read on this site. Of course I am planning a theatre visit in August, so it was just what I needed. But what great info!

I copied the URL and then went to it and it is very easy and I loved being able to look to see what was available at TKTS today. I also loved that they printed a map so that you could be SURE you were purchasing your ticket at the right place.

The only thing I didn't like is that they weren't handling the Phantom tickets, at least not today and I am so determined to see that after missing it my last time in.

Thanks so much Patrick and others for your helpful, polite and clear information. That's what this forus should be about!
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:53 PM

Brahmama, TKTS is very often offering Phantom of the Opera tickets. If you literally meant "today", there's a good reason they weren't offering tickets to Phantom. It doesn't play at all on Sundays!!
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:22 PM

That indeed is a very good reason, Patrick! I will be checking it from time to time to get a feel for what I can expect to pay. Our trip isn't until August so it's early days yet.