Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you ever used Hotelopia.co.uk to make hotel reservations? Good or bad experience?

Search

Have you ever used Hotelopia.co.uk to make hotel reservations? Good or bad experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
We have found a great hotel rate for the Ritz Carlton on Hotelopia.co.uk, and before we book I want to check whether any other UK or European forumites have booked using this website in the past. Are they reliable/very good/not so good? We've talked to them by phone and have been fairly impressed, but don't want to pay upfront for a 10 night stay without hearing some reassurance.

Thanks,
Anna
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:25 PM

What Ritz Carlton are you talking about? I don't know the site you are talking about, but I'd be very tempted to call the Ritz Carlton you're interested in, telling them you have a price of ____, and asking if they will match that for the same price. I'd be surprised if they didn't, especially for a 10 night stay!! What's more you won't have to pay up front to get it and won't have what sounds like might be a horrible cancellation policy.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi Patrick,
I actually did this a couple of days ago - called the Ritz Carlton (Naples, Florida - the Golf Resort not the Beach)and their best rate, even for 10 nights, was double what Hotelopia are quoting! I asked the reservations guy about matching the better price, but he couldn't/wouldn't. It surprised me that they were not willing to give at least a little on a 10 night stay.

I'm with you on the upfront payment and the cancellation policy. Cancellation policy depends on the hotel, so I'll have to get details from Hotelopia before we decide.

I know this is a U.S. hotel, but wouldn't expect the U.S. forum to be familiar with Hotelopia.co.uk, so thought I'd have more luck here.

Anna
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Forgot to say that the reservations guy at the Ritz Carlton did not see any reason not to book my cheaper web offer when I asked this question. He says the room you get is the same eitherway - it's a basic room only price (and a saving of GB£1200 over the 10 nights!).

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:23 PM

When I was on my recent EasyJet flight, I saw in the inflight magazine that EasyJet is now using the Hotelopia engine for their hotel site, so I'm sure that this site is reputable.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Never used Hotelopia, but they're owned by First Choice, one of Europe's largest and most successful travel companies - so no need to worry about them disappearing overnight.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Wow. I didn't know you were calling to my own town -- Naples!! That really is amazing about the difference in booking price. They really must be trying to snag the Brits for business -- you know the ones with all the money these days -- LOL. And don't think I'm questioning your intelligence here, but when you say it was about two times as much -- you are aware that one quote was in pounds and the other was in dollars -- or at least I assume so, right?
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patrick, sorry for the delayed reply, been away with work. Yes, I wondered were you the Patrick from the U.S. board who's replies I've often read this last few weeks when researching Naples!

In answer to your question, the Ritz-C's best rate is US$459 per night(even for 10 nights), compared with GB£114 per night on Hotelopia.

Anna
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Then there is no question. Book with Hotelopia using a credit card so if there should be any problem with them, you can get your money credited. That's an incredible deal for the Ritz -- I assume in season. It's almost a good rate for them even if it were for summer!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it's for early April, so I agree it's a great deal, I was terribly suspicious at first but will go ahead and book now. See you around Naples!

Anna
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Early April? The absolute height of season. You did not get a great deal.
You got the bargain of the century in Naples!! Have fun.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:38 AM

Wow! That's a great deal. I am going to have to check rates with that site more often! I wonder if the Ritz is trying to target English travelers as I've never found a rate like that here in the US.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Ha, now after reading the last couple of replies I am not just looking forward to our trip which is just 8 weeks away, but I'm feeling smug about a good bargain! Thanks for making my day!

Anna