Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you ever had to go to the airport to sign off some forms to use your frequent miles?

Have you ever had to go to the airport to sign off some forms to use your frequent miles?

Oct 9th, 2002, 05:33 AM
xxx

I have used frequent flier miles numerous times and never had to do this. Has anyone out there ever experiened this?

Oct 9th, 2002, 05:46 AM
xxx

anyone?

Oct 9th, 2002, 06:10 AM
David

Yep, I've done it a few times. Every time I use frequent flyer miles for someone else who isn't a family member. This was with United in '98, '99 & '00.

I asked because I wondered why I didn't have to do it for my Dad, but did for my friend. The weird thing is they assume if you have the same last name you're family and you don't need to sign the forms. So if we both happened to have the same last name like "Smith" I wouldn't have needed to do it.

Of course things are probably diffent now since it's been a couple of years.

Oct 9th, 2002, 06:11 AM
j

I had to do this once when I used my miles for someone's elses ticket. I was able to hold the ticket via the phone for 10 days, but I had to sign a consent that I was redeeming my miles for another person.

Oct 9th, 2002, 06:16 AM
m

I've also had to do similar. I did it at the airline ticket office though, not the airport. I think you could do whichever is more convenient.

Oct 9th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Rex

Agree that this experience is not rare with an unrelated party. And it's certaknly true that the last name test is used with only minimal logic.

Still, the personal appearance is probably a pretty good deterrence to outright buying and selling miles between total strangers.

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 9th, 2002, 07:09 AM
kfferg

Never had to do it with American Airlines, and I've used my husband's miles for myself and my sister (different last name) without my husband ever having to talk to anyone or sign anything.

Oct 9th, 2002, 07:56 AM
up

up

Oct 9th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Sanrda

Yep, my husband does all the time that he wants to get me a ticket using his frequent flyer miles. You see, even though we are married, I kept my maiden name after marriage. Had our last names been the same, he would not have to do this, but because they are different, he has to go to the ticket counter every single time to sign these forms.

Oct 9th, 2002, 08:13 AM
beth

yes,

When I got my ticket at the last mintue and used Delta Miles on United.

Oct 9th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Marilyn

Last time I was taking a flight home, I asked if I could use my miles to upgrade my ticket and they said you had to notify them 24 hours in advance. Does this sound familiar? M.